Security recommendations

Anything F-Type related......
Mr.Tea

Post by Mr.Tea »

Hi everyone.

I've just bought my F-type. Got it home today to find that while it does fit in my garage, I can't open the doors enough to get out, curse small garages! :roll:

Now it's sat on my driveway, in full view of anyone who walks/drives in which isn't ideal as these cars are targets for theft. Now i'm looking at security measures.

I currently have my main key in a faraday bag, my spare key in a faraday bag (also inside a safe). I've got the car double locked. I've got a steering lock ordered to be picked up from Halfords tomorrow.

Apart from camera coverage, what other security features should I be looking at? I've heard of Ghost immobilisers before and they seem like a pretty good failsafe providing all other built-in security measures are bypassed and/or fail. Except what i've mentioned, what else can I do to prevent some scrote from running off with my car bar bolting the thing to the ground.

I've heard that Jaguars own tracking system is pretty easily bypassed too and have seen a couple of stories on it. I'm also thinking of taking out GAP insurance on the car too juuuuuuust incase the worse happens.

Cheers.

Hammers

Post by Hammers »

Motion lights outside might help. In our old house we had a carport and my XE sat in it. One night my wife was up late and saw the motion lights come on, she looked outside and saw someone running off. Won’t stop a professional but will scare joyriders
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.
Mr.Tea

Post by Mr.Tea »

Hammers wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:55 pm Motion lights outside might help. In our old house we had a carport and my XE sat in it. One night my wife was up late and saw the motion lights come on, she looked outside and saw someone running off. Won’t stop a professional but will scare joyriders

Didn't think of that one. A nice extremely high lumen motion light might even blind some scumbag looking at my car. Will have to look towards extending the mains electrics to the garage.

Going to try and find the brighest one I can just to scare the shit out of people coming past.

Cheers.
bob_mcn

Post by bob_mcn »

Mine lives on the drive in full view, faraday bags and placed in a tin box i have also installed an IP camera (CCTV) and motion lights, so i can record any 'interest' in the car in case i need to report anything, (i can also admire the car from my phone :lol: ), also have a 'Stoplok' fitted, plus the Jaguar tracker and alarm, If a professional tealeaf decides to have it away, then nothing will stop them :roll: But generally i feel safe with what i have done.
2021MY P300 1st edition Coupe, Eiger grey, with Climate, Privacy, and Tracker,
Previous: 2019MY XE 300 Sport {petrol) with lots of addons.
Previous: 2017MY XE 240 Portfolio (petrol) with a selection of addons.
Tel

Post by Tel »

Steering wheel lock
CCTV with PIR lights
OBD II Port relocate or lockable cover fitted
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Mr.Tea wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:38 pm Hi everyone.

I've just bought my F-type. Got it home today to find that while it does fit in my garage, I can't open the doors enough to get out, curse small garages! :roll:

Now it's sat on my driveway, in full view of anyone who walks/drives in which isn't ideal as these cars are targets for theft. Now i'm looking at security measures.

I currently have my main key in a faraday bag, my spare key in a faraday bag (also inside a safe). I've got the car double locked. I've got a steering lock ordered to be picked up from Halfords tomorrow.

Apart from camera coverage, what other security features should I be looking at? I've heard of Ghost immobilisers before and they seem like a pretty good failsafe providing all other built-in security measures are bypassed and/or fail. Except what i've mentioned, what else can I do to prevent some scrote from running off with my car bar bolting the thing to the ground.

I've heard that Jaguars own tracking system is pretty easily bypassed too and have seen a couple of stories on it. I'm also thinking of taking out GAP insurance on the car too juuuuuuust incase the worse happens.

Cheers.

Another good security measure that I take is to park one of the other cars in my household behind the F-Type (especially overnight) which sits on the driveway. This blocks it in and gives me extra peace of mind!

I took out a 4 year ‘Return to Invoice’ GAP Insurance policy with ALA for £230.....well worth it! https://www.ala.co.uk/

Here’s some of the forum info on the Autowatch Ghost-II CANbus Immobiliser:

viewtopic.php?t=5154

viewtopic.php?t=3830
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

how about a metal disc bolted to the rear wheel like car parking guys do?
Mr.Tea

Post by Mr.Tea »

bob_mcn wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:01 am Mine lives on the drive in full view, faraday bags and placed in a tin box i have also installed an IP camera (CCTV) and motion lights, so i can record any 'interest' in the car in case i need to report anything, (i can also admire the car from my phone :lol: ), also have a 'Stoplok' fitted, plus the Jaguar tracker and alarm, If a professional tealeaf decides to have it away, then nothing will stop them :roll: But generally i feel safe with what i have done.

I've ordered a motion light to go right above where the car is kept on the drive, will arrive from Amazon tomorrow.

Just fitted my stoplok pro (not the elite) and the hasp/arms aren't big enough to fit over the "spokes" of the steering wheel, they're just a little bit too small so i've arranged it where the yellow arm/bar is blocked by the center console and it has extremely limited movement turning the wheel one way. I might just refund it and get the pro elite if it fits over the spokes of the wheel as the arms are apparently bigger. Any chance you can show me how you've got yours setup?
RPSN wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:50 am
Another good security measure that I take is to park one of the other cars in my household behind the F-Type (especially overnight) which sits on the driveway. This blocks it in and gives me extra peace of mind!

I took out a 4 year ‘Return to Invoice’ GAP Insurance policy with ALA for £230.....well worth it! https://www.ala.co.uk/

Here’s some of the forum info on the Autowatch Ghost-II CANbus Immobiliser:

viewtopic.php?t=5154

viewtopic.php?t=3830

I've looked at some GAP insurance and it seems like a good idea to pick some up, just in case the worst happens. Secondly, my drive is too small to block it in with another car plus i'm the first out to work in the morning so it wouldn't be practical. My neighbour has a Range Rover and no one, in the 12-ish year i've been in this house, attempted to even touch his car so i'm hoping all will be well but i'm just trying to prepare for the worst if it does happen. I'll probably pick up the ALA insurance for the 4 years coming to £266.40. For 4 years, it's a no brainer.

I'm gonna relocated the OBD port tomorrow, is it just a case of unscrewing the mount from where it's held?

As a "bonus" it looks like my car doesn't have keyless entry. There's just a dimple on the handle rather than the button. Having the key in my pocket and pressing the door handle just lets it pivot but doesn't appear to unlock the car so at least i've got that going for me. Coming from my Astra VXR, which had keyless entry as standard, is annoying because I keep trying to pull the boot and doors open without using the fob :D

I've looked at those threads for the Ghost 2 stuff, and on payday i'll be arranging the SASmobile guys to come over and install the Ghost 2 immobiliser. Have you got a tracker installed?
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

@Mr.Tea: ALA GAP Insurance is excellent.....definitely worth paying that amount for 4 years cover.

Although your neighbour's Range Rover has been safe for the 12-ish years you've lived where you are, you don’t really know whether or not someone has attempted to enter or steal it, as happened to me here......viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4959

The OBD port on my car is not vulnerable to key coding etc. However, I’ve still detached and hid it as a precautionary measure. Info on the OBD port vulnerability is explained here.....viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4959&start=40#p49853

It can be pushed out of the bracket in the lower fascia. Just squeeze the lugs in on both sides of the port before doing so.

As your car has the indentation on the door handle and not the actual button, it doesn’t have keyless entry (you’ll soon get used to this). I originally thought my car had keyless entry but was very glad to find out differently.

I haven’t yet got a tracker installed.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
CJSJAG

Post by CJSJAG »

My niece from Solihull almost had her car (not a Jag) stolen in broad daylight from 2 feet in front of her front window.
Fortunately watchful neighbors intervened.
In case you do not have neighbors who are alert and motivated 24/7, here is an option.
It will hopefully deter thieves before they get very far. It will certainly make your neighbors pay attention.

2021 R-Dynamic P380 Convertible BRG

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post