F Type stolen - owners beware review your security

Anything F-Type related......
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Not got one on the F type at the moment. I'd have to make one as they're no longer on fleabay.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR

Hammers

Post by Hammers »

Can’t you just put some lockable posts on your front like car yards do?
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

My car is garaged when at home, so it'd only be vulnerable when parked in a street sometimes for going to the shops etc.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

mickjaguar wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:47 pm Not got one on the F type at the moment. I'd have to make one as they're no longer on fleabay.

I’ve found a similar OBD port lock/cover on ebay for £17.50 + £5 delivery. They can also custom design at no extra cost.

It says this......

“The OBDPRO cover slots onto your car OBD port. The wiring loom connecting to the port is held between the two fixing bolts and the OBDPRO cover is clamped onto your port, holding it securely and tightly.”

“When installed correctly, the port will be near impossible to remove and can only be removed by using correct tooling. You must remember that the thief will have little time and room to use intrusive tools to remove the OBDPRO cover from your OBD port.”

“Most OBD ports fitted with the OBDPRO cover are in small areas that are not accessible with large tooling. The OBD cable loom can also be cable tied to existing looms to make access to this area harder.”

“The OBDPRO cover can be made to order or custom designed at no extra cost!”

“Please feel free to send over a message regarding any sheet metal project or idea that you may need help with. We will be happy to help design and make this for you.”

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124690120102 ... Sw66tfuC0e

P.S. I've contacted them to ask if they can make one which is suitable for the Jaguar F-Type. Also sent pics of the OBD Port Lock and diagram that you provided, to give them an idea.

I've also contacted Andy Beattie on the F-Type Facebook group......he has his own firm called 'Stylistic Steel'.

1.png

2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Hmm - think more thought needs to go into that design.
Those little M6 screws are very open to being cut through with a pair of thin nose lever snips and some determination - maybe they are stainless, which would help a little.
And the pip type Torx head is quite a common one to carry too I would say.
The fact that the screws only project slightly through the clinch nuts means there's about 8mm of thread to undo to get one screw out - which is all you need to release the port.
Might buy an additional 20 seconds, but I'm sure a lot of these thieves aren't too worried about a brief encounter if necessary.

The idea is there but it needs refining somewhat to be better than that - I think closing one side off and a hardened shank combination brass padlock would last a lot longer.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

This is why I sent them the photo and diagram that ‘mickjaguar’ provided in this topic.

Taken from their ebay page (as mentioned previously).......“The OBDPRO cover can be made to order or custom designed at no extra cost!”

“Please feel free to send over a message regarding any sheet metal project or idea that you may need help with. We will be happy to help design and make this for you.”

I’ve also sent the information to Andy Beattie (F-Type owner) who’s firm manufactures bespoke stainless steel products. I've attached some photos of the products he's already made for the F-Type which include cup holder inserts and coasters.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Tel

Post by Tel »

If you want yo cover/lock your OBD, I suggest either of these two.
They are low profile and you won't come into contact with them climbing in/out.

Anything larger and you have to be careful due to the proximity of the port location and your right knee. This applies most when entering/exiting the car.

This was BEM Autos solution that are now no longer:

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/ram ... s-interior

If you must use egay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-OB ... 890.l49286
Last edited by Tel on Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

If I fit an OBD Port lock (which encapsulates the OBD socket) it probably wouldn’t be in the original location on the lower fascia. I think it’s safer elsewhere i.e. more difficult for a thief to retrieve (after breaking a window etc) and it doesn’t obstruct your right knee when entering/exiting the car.

The ebay link you provided has the OBD Protector Cover priced at £99 but you can get it on Amazon for £55. This is designed to cover the OBD Port in its original location on the lower fascia as does the one on the ‘genosgarage’ link.

I’ll be taking some photos of the F-Type OBD Port and surrounding area, noting down the dimensions. As other members of this forum also seem interested in a Port lock, it would be beneficial if we could post some further suggestions on a design including dimensions etc? This is so that we could provide any agreed details to a manufacturer?

Unless of course, those interested prefer to make one themselves?
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Tel

Post by Tel »

In my early days I used to have a hidden switch that was wired to the +ve of the coil.
You could turn the car over, but it'd never fire.

For those that are a little creative...the stop start button on the F type is a simple switch. A hidden push-button using some longer wires spliced to the originals could be used...SOS button perhaps?
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Mr.Tea

Post by Mr.Tea »

RPSN wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:10 pm If I fit an OBD Port lock (which encapsulates the OBD socket) it probably wouldn’t be in the original location on the lower fascia. I think it’s safer elsewhere i.e. more difficult for a thief to retrieve (after breaking a window etc) and it doesn’t obstruct your right knee when entering/exiting the car.

The ebay link you provided has the OBD Protector Cover priced at £99 but you can get it on Amazon for £55. This is designed to cover the OBD Port in its original location on the lower fascia as does the one on the ‘genosgarage’ link.

I’ll be taking some photos of the F-Type OBD Port and surrounding area, noting down the dimensions. As other members of this forum also seem interested in a Port lock, it would be beneficial if we could post some further suggestions on a design including dimensions etc? This is so that we could provide any agreed details to a manufacturer?

Unless of course, those interested prefer to make one themselves?

I'd be interested in seeing what people come back with design wise as it shouldn't be too difficult for someone to fab these up in decent numbers given the diagrams posted earlier. I'd be interested in picking one up if it's deemed decently secure and compact. Not a big fan of the idea of securing it with a padlock though.

Some of the ones selling for close to £100 are designed with screws that contact and damage the OBD port from videos i've seen. Whoever signed off on that design needs to shake their head.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post