F Type stolen - owners beware review your security

Anything F-Type related......
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

If they are going to cut a steering wheel lock surely they are going to cut a lock on an OBD port?
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.

Cluck

Post by Cluck »

^^^ Yes, but those things take time and are usually quite noisy (especially steering wheel locks) and the name of the game, in most instances, is to slow a thief down.
MY21 F-Type P450 R Dynamic in Portofino Blue, Black Exterior Pack, Performance Seats, Suede headlining (with Blur as support act)
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

That is why I think a steering wheel lock is better than something on the OBD port - it gives the same problem to the would be thief but is also visibly a deterrent prior to having windows smashed.
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I use a steering lock also but accidentally left it in the UK when I shipped the car so will purchase another one, nice big deterrent.
MY15 Coupe V8R Carbon Ceramic Brakes, 20" Anthracite Wheels Panoramic Roof, Meridian 770
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Hammers wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:16 pm If they are going to cut a steering wheel lock surely they are going to cut a lock on an OBD port?
Probably easier to cut through the steering wheel than the lock.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Tel wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:43 pm In my early days I used to have a hidden switch that was wired to the +ve of the coil.
You could turn the car over, but it'd never fire.

For those that are a little creative...the stop start button on the F type is a simple switch. A hidden push-button using some longer wires spliced to the originals could be used...SOS button perhaps?

A bit less discreet but the same principle.......in those early days some car owners would disconnect a HT lead etc to prevent the car from starting.

Good idea about the stop/start button security mod.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Cluck

Post by Cluck »

Hammers wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:51 am That is why I think a steering wheel lock is better than something on the OBD port - it gives the same problem to the would be thief but is also visibly a deterrent prior to having windows smashed.
The additional advantage of the OBD port lock though, as stated earlier I believe, is that it will dramatically slow down the time it takes the thief to try and create a clone key and turn the alarm off - as that will be going off the moment the window is smashed or the door opened via the emergency lock. All the while the alarm is going off it is raising attention. The OBD lock keeps that deterrent going for longer, whilst the steering lock keeps the car where it is for longer.

I'm sort of with SimpleR. Although an opportunist thief is going to be put off by a wheel lock and nothing on display inside the car, the "steal to order" theives are going to take your car whether you like it or not. If you've got all those deterrents in their way, then the next softest target is yourself and are you really going to put your own life in the way of a piece of metal? If somebody is determined enough to break into my house looking for the keys, you can bet your backside that I will be literally throwing the keys at them to get them out as fast as possible. A tracker should help in getting it back but ultimately, my insurance is there to cover any eventuality re. the car. I have taken the precautions the insurer asked me to, I am not going to insure "me".
MY21 F-Type P450 R Dynamic in Portofino Blue, Black Exterior Pack, Performance Seats, Suede headlining (with Blur as support act)
scm

Post by scm »

RPSN wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:31 am A bit less discreet but the same principle.......in those early days some car owners would disconnect a HT lead etc to prevent the car from starting.
Putting the rotor arm in your pocket was better .... ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

The other thing as sad as it is, is just being more difficult than your neighbour. We have electronic gates, a lockable garage, and motion lights. If someone comes in my place they are serious and yes they would get the keys. My worry is more when I park it in a secure car park in the city.
Last edited by Hammers on Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Mr.Tea wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:51 pm
RPSN wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:10 pm If I fit an OBD Port lock (which encapsulates the OBD socket) it probably wouldn’t be in the original location on the lower fascia. I think it’s safer elsewhere i.e. more difficult for a thief to retrieve (after breaking a window etc) and it doesn’t obstruct your right knee when entering/exiting the car.

The ebay link you provided has the OBD Protector Cover priced at £99 but you can get it on Amazon for £55. This is designed to cover the OBD Port in its original location on the lower fascia as does the one on the ‘genosgarage’ link.

I’ll be taking some photos of the F-Type OBD Port and surrounding area, noting down the dimensions. As other members of this forum also seem interested in a Port lock, it would be beneficial if we could post some further suggestions on a design including dimensions etc? This is so that we could provide any agreed details to a manufacturer?

Unless of course, those interested prefer to make one themselves?

I'd be interested in seeing what people come back with design wise as it shouldn't be too difficult for someone to fab these up in decent numbers given the diagrams posted earlier. I'd be interested in picking one up if it's deemed decently secure and compact. Not a big fan of the idea of securing it with a padlock though.

Some of the ones selling for close to £100 are designed with screws that contact and damage the OBD port from videos i've seen. Whoever signed off on that design needs to shake their head.

The guy I mentioned earlier (Andy Beattie) who’s firm manufactures bespoke stainless steel products has replied to me saying this is something that he could easily do (based on the image and drawing that 'mickjaguar' provided earlier in this topic). He’s asked for the dimensions so he can give it a go.

As you've said that you're not a big fan of the idea of securing it with a padlock, I've attached a photo of another design I’ve seen in case some of it could be incorporated into a suitable product?

Does anyone have any more ideas/suggestions?

1.jpg

2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views