F Type stolen - owners beware review your security

Anything F-Type related......
Mr.Tea

Post by Mr.Tea »

RPSN wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:36 am
Mr.Tea wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:51 pm
RPSN wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:10 pm If I fit an OBD Port lock (which encapsulates the OBD socket) it probably wouldn’t be in the original location on the lower fascia. I think it’s safer elsewhere i.e. more difficult for a thief to retrieve (after breaking a window etc) and it doesn’t obstruct your right knee when entering/exiting the car.

The ebay link you provided has the OBD Protector Cover priced at £99 but you can get it on Amazon for £55. This is designed to cover the OBD Port in its original location on the lower fascia as does the one on the ‘genosgarage’ link.

I’ll be taking some photos of the F-Type OBD Port and surrounding area, noting down the dimensions. As other members of this forum also seem interested in a Port lock, it would be beneficial if we could post some further suggestions on a design including dimensions etc? This is so that we could provide any agreed details to a manufacturer?

Unless of course, those interested prefer to make one themselves?

I'd be interested in seeing what people come back with design wise as it shouldn't be too difficult for someone to fab these up in decent numbers given the diagrams posted earlier. I'd be interested in picking one up if it's deemed decently secure and compact. Not a big fan of the idea of securing it with a padlock though.

Some of the ones selling for close to £100 are designed with screws that contact and damage the OBD port from videos i've seen. Whoever signed off on that design needs to shake their head.

The guy I mentioned earlier (Andy Beattie) who’s firm manufactures bespoke stainless steel products has replied to me saying this is something that he could easily do (based on the image and drawing that 'mickjaguar' provided earlier in this topic). He’s asked for the dimensions so he can give it a go.

As you've said that you're not a big fan of the idea of securing it with a padlock, I've attached a photo of another design I’ve seen in case some of it could be incorporated into a suitable product?

Does anyone have any more ideas/suggestions?

Wouldn't mind something like that. Either secured by a key or several bolts/screws that would take extra time to defeat. Like you said, slowing them down is the name of the game.

RPSN

Post by RPSN »

scm wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:08 am
RPSN wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:31 am A bit less discreet but the same principle.......in those early days some car owners would disconnect a HT lead etc to prevent the car from starting.
Putting the rotor arm in your pocket was better .... ;)

And that too......after removing the distributor cap ;)
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Mr.Tea wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:30 pm Wouldn't mind something like that. Either secured by a key or several bolts/screws that would take extra time to defeat. Like you said, slowing them down is the name of the game.

Yep, it's about slowing down the theft process.

Those extra seconds or minutes can make all the difference!
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Mr.Tea

Post by Mr.Tea »

RPSN wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:45 pm
Mr.Tea wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:30 pm Wouldn't mind something like that. Either secured by a key or several bolts/screws that would take extra time to defeat. Like you said, slowing them down is the name of the game.

Yep, it's about slowing down the theft process.

Those extra seconds or minutes can make all the difference!

My main line of thinking is slowing them down getting to the OBD where they can silence the alarm and possibly drive away with the car. Seen too many videos of them driving off in under a minute.

Got my Ghost 2 fitment booked in for later this week too.
scm

Post by scm »

RPSN wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:33 pm
scm wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:08 am
RPSN wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:31 am A bit less discreet but the same principle.......in those early days some car owners would disconnect a HT lead etc to prevent the car from starting.
Putting the rotor arm in your pocket was better .... ;)

And that too......after removing the distributor cap ;)
Well, after getting out of the car and opening the bonnet - if you must be pedantic.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

I used to take the HT lead with me :D , eventually wired the LT lead through a unused Fog lamp switch!
MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

scm wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:49 pm Well, after getting out of the car and opening the bonnet - if you must be pedantic.

Or the car boot, depending on the vehicle ;)
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Mr.Tea wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:06 pm My main line of thinking is slowing them down getting to the OBD where they can silence the alarm and possibly drive away with the car. Seen too many videos of them driving off in under a minute.

Peace of mind for you there.

Here’s something I’ve read from a Ghost-II installer which you could mention before having it fitted......

"Firstly If you crash the can system on any vehicle the car ain't going to start because it won't recognise the key immobiliser system so that's ruled out, secondly most cars have more than one can system and if you know what you are doing you will choose the one which will not allow the outer mirrors to be part of that system. If the ghost system is fitted to the high standard like its meant to be then it's the best security solution full stop."
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Mr.Tea

Post by Mr.Tea »

RPSN wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:41 am
Mr.Tea wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:06 pm My main line of thinking is slowing them down getting to the OBD where they can silence the alarm and possibly drive away with the car. Seen too many videos of them driving off in under a minute.

Here’s something I’ve read from a Ghost-II installer which you could mention before having it fitted......

"Firstly If you crash the can system on any vehicle the car ain't going to start because it won't recognise the key immobiliser system so that's ruled out, secondly most cars have more than one can system and if you know what you are doing you will choose the one which will not allow the outer mirrors to be part of that system. If the ghost system is fitted to the high standard like its meant to be then it's the best security solution full stop."

I wish they explained more as to why they wouldn't allow the outer mirrors to be part of the system because i'm in the dark on that one.

Edit: Well a quick google fixed that one. That's a strange vulnerability to be sure. I'll be sure to mention that one. Does the F-type have outer mirrors controlled via the canbus system?

The company that's fitting my immobiliser is recommended from Autowatch themselves as I emailed them and asked for any approved companies so i'm sure i'll be in good hands.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Mr.Tea wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:39 am
RPSN wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:41 am

I wish they explained more as to why they wouldn't allow the outer mirrors to be part of the system because i'm in the dark on that one.

Edit: Well a quick google fixed that one. That's a strange vulnerability to be sure. I'll be sure to mention that one. Does the F-type have outer mirrors controlled via the canbus system?

The company that's fitting my immobiliser is recommended from Autowatch themselves as I emailed them and asked for any approved companies so i'm sure i'll be in good hands.

I would think that the Power-fold/unfold wing mirrors are controlled via the CANbus system as it seems that the turn signal indicators on the wing mirrors are?

Taken from TOPIx.....

“The exterior lighting is controlled by the Central Junction Box (CJB). The CJB controls the following vehicle functions:
Control and monitoring of exterior lamps including turn signal indicators and hazard warning lamp functionality.
Monitoring and evaluation of check control inputs from other system control modules and output of applicable messages in the Instrument Cluster (IC) message center.
The CJB is connected to the MS (Medium Speed) and HS (High Speed) CAN (Controller Area Network) buses. The CJB contains a microprocessor which performs the control, monitoring and evaluation of functions.”

I’m sure everything will be fine but it’s worth mentioning it to them beforehand.
Last edited by RPSN on Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post