F Type stolen - owners beware review your security

Anything F-Type related......
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Philskill wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:54 pm Anyone have the Wiring diagrams?

I have the Interactive Electrical Wiring Diagrams (iEWD) file but it's too large to upload here (158 pages 17.0 MB).
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

PhilB

Post by PhilB »

I have removed the last post due to detailed and technical information being posted.
Of course countering theft is very important but there is also the consideration that detailed technical info could actually compromise security when posted on an open and public forum.
Please feel free to continue the technical discussion via pm.

Thanks.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

PhilB wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:00 am I have removed the last post due to detailed and technical information being posted.
Of course countering theft is very important but there is also the consideration that detailed technical info could actually compromise security when posted on an open and public forum.
Please feel free to continue the technical discussion via pm.

Thanks.

No probs.....fully understandable.

Perhaps we’ll continue the technical discussion privately and will come back with an answer to whether or not the wing mirrors are controlled via CAN bus or LIN. This is to inform those who have the Ghost-II Immobiliser fitted.

Is that ok with you?
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

Thanks to RPSN for the diagrams, as they are dated 2015, Based on this I can say upto this date the CAN does not go into the Mirrors, its a local LIN to a Module in the door and motor power wiring to the Mirror.

That would be one super-human hacker to get into the security system from there!
MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

RPSN wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:46 am Perhaps we’ll continue the technical discussion privately and will come back with an answer to whether or not the wing mirrors are controlled via CAN bus or LIN. This is to inform those who have the Ghost-II Immobiliser fitted.

Is that ok with you?
Yes that would be fine.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

PhilB wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:16 pm
RPSN wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:46 am Perhaps we’ll continue the technical discussion privately and will come back with an answer to whether or not the wing mirrors are controlled via CAN bus or LIN. This is to inform those who have the Ghost-II Immobiliser fitted.

Is that ok with you?

Yes that would be fine.

Cheers.

Philskill’s post has now clarified the issue on vehicles up to 2015, which is the date on the Interactive Electrical Wiring Diagrams I sent him.

If anyone can elaborate further on vehicles after 2015 that would be helpful.

👍
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
CPBLondon

Post by CPBLondon »

Update - had a Ghost 2 fitted which was very painless and the fitter comes to you for the fitting which took just over an hour. Driven for a week or so and the start sequence required becomes second nature. Also put in for a service and activated the valet mode which worked well. This immobiliser takes out the need to do anything with OBD in either locking or detaching/hiding so that gives peace of mind. As a visible deterrent also use a disklok steering wheel cover so hoping that will help me sleep at night. Without going into details I have been contacted by a police force neighbouring London who have recovered parts of the vehicle which had been broken up and parts being packed to go abroad. There were about a dozen other similar vehicles at the venue and persons arrested. Just be aware there is a niche market for these cars and you should take reasonable care to keep your pride and joy as not an experience I would want to repeat.
F Type S 380
Polaris White
Red interior/pan roof
Black pack
drive the dream !
Mr.Tea

Post by Mr.Tea »

CPBLondon wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:23 pm Update - had a Ghost 2 fitted which was very painless and the fitter comes to you for the fitting which took just over an hour. Driven for a week or so and the start sequence required becomes second nature. Also put in for a service and activated the valet mode which worked well. This immobiliser takes out the need to do anything with OBD in either locking or detaching/hiding so that gives peace of mind. As a visible deterrent also use a disklok steering wheel cover so hoping that will help me sleep at night. Without going into details I have been contacted by a police force neighbouring London who have recovered parts of the vehicle which had been broken up and parts being packed to go abroad. There were about a dozen other similar vehicles at the venue and persons arrested. Just be aware there is a niche market for these cars and you should take reasonable care to keep your pride and joy as not an experience I would want to repeat.
Did they recover the whole car diassembled into pieces or just pieces of the car? Hopefully if they hadn't got around to dismantling the whole car, it could potentially be repaired/reassembled and now you've got 2 F-types :lol:

At least the scumbags got caught. Hopefully they'll see the inside of a prison cell, ideally the bottom of a river.
Rishi_London

Post by Rishi_London »

CPBLondon wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:12 pm F Type V6 S 2016
Vehicle left locked and alarmed outside my home overnight. Went to vehicle today to find it had been stolen. The glass remains on the floor indicate drivers side window had been smashed. I realise that this is a hazard of modern day living but assumed without the key (I have both in a Farraday pouch) then the vehicle would be difficult to start?
Are these cars security systems easy to defeat? Smashing the glass indicates the entry system was not compromised- but then once inside the car how easy is it to start without the keys?
Assumed this vehicle was low risk for theft but realise all vehicles may be vulnerable- any advice on making the vehicle more secure should I replace it ? Aware that fitting a tracker helps with recovery but this is more of a preventative question to stop/deter it getting stolen in the first place.
I may go sit in a corner and cry now.....

Update - neighbour saw the vehicle at 0930 when he left for work so this was daytime theft !! Rather brazen...
HI CPBLondon,

I had exactly the same thing happen to me last night. My 2016 F-Type S was stolen last night right outside of my apartment in East London at around 11.20pm. I didn't realise it was gone until I went to move it around 12pm today, so didn't report it until then (by which time, I guess it could already be at a port, or in Europe somewhere!)

There was glass on the floor, so somebody had clearly broken the window to gain access. In my apartment block, a couple of neighbours had witnessed and filmed it happening, so I have some footage showing it being driven off (although it was too far away to spot the thieves annoyingly). Apparently it was 2 young kids and they were scouring the car for a couple of minutes, before smashing the window, setting off the alarm and then driving off (without the keys).

I too thought that the keyless entry system was pretty secure, especially since my keys were not within easy relay range (I live on the 5th floor and on the other side of the building). Clearly I was wrong! :(

I'm hoping it gets picked up on ANPR, but let's see.

My InControl system also shows the car as parked outside my house, but the status is "Driving". I assume that once they broke in, they've managed to disable the system. Would love to be able to track it. Annoyingly, I hadn't subscribed to the full tracking service and JLR said there is literally nothing they can do to track it since I hadn't subscribed before it was stolen!

So gutted. Hoping it turns up. Else I'll need to get prepared for some hard haggling with the loss adjustors at the insurance company!

Any advice from anybody who reads this, much appreciated.

Rishi
V6S Storm Grey
stevejag

Post by stevejag »

ok , dreadful , of course , they must have had knowledge from an expert to start it and drive it so proffessionals . I haven;t had the tracker on mine activated , maybe I should if this makes any difference as it can still be stolen and no doubt proffessionals know where the tracker is located ?
Caldera red awd v8 fixed spoiler :mrgreen:

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post