F Type stolen - owners beware review your security

Anything F-Type related......
CPBLondon

Post by CPBLondon »

F Type V6 S 2016
Vehicle left locked and alarmed outside my home overnight. Went to vehicle today to find it had been stolen. The glass remains on the floor indicate drivers side window had been smashed. I realise that this is a hazard of modern day living but assumed without the key (I have both in a Farraday pouch) then the vehicle would be difficult to start?
Are these cars security systems easy to defeat? Smashing the glass indicates the entry system was not compromised- but then once inside the car how easy is it to start without the keys?
Assumed this vehicle was low risk for theft but realise all vehicles may be vulnerable- any advice on making the vehicle more secure should I replace it ? Aware that fitting a tracker helps with recovery but this is more of a preventative question to stop/deter it getting stolen in the first place.
I may go sit in a corner and cry now.....

Update - neighbour saw the vehicle at 0930 when he left for work so this was daytime theft !! Rather brazen...
Last edited by CPBLondon on Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
F Type S 380
Polaris White
Red interior/pan roof
Black pack
drive the dream !

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Sorry to hear bad news on a first post.
What country are you in?

A 16 plate, presumably MY17, cannot have keys reprogrammed from OBD port without changing modules in the car. Any cctv?

Up to you whether you want to post reg and pictures.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
CPBLondon

Post by CPBLondon »

Am in London and have had the car for over a year - I had looked through this forum before buying the car and checked the security posts regarding the keyless system and hence ensured the Farraday pouch for the keys. Also double click key fob to hear the alarm set itself. Heard no alarm go off overnight (it may have activated I cannot say for sure) - but it concerns me how they started the car once they effected entry? Can you ‘Hotwire’ these cars or would they need technology to bypass and start the car? My concern is the difference between joyriders and steal to order types.... if a professional is going to steal your car there is not much you can do but I hoped it would defeat someone with a rock who just wants to joyride....
F Type S 380
Polaris White
Red interior/pan roof
Black pack
drive the dream !
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

What's the reg, colour and pics?

Presume you don't have an active InControl Subscription.

Someone may spot it (they are rare) and if you post the reg then if anyone Googles the reg plate it will come back to here and your stolen post.
(you can delete the reg from your post if it gets recovered).
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
CPBLondon

Post by CPBLondon »

The vehicle reg is CB16FTY - photo attached
download/file.php?mode=view&id=7363

183E796C-155B-48FE-8D42-38CC4A7B4FC7.jpeg

Last edited by CPBLondon on Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F Type S 380
Polaris White
Red interior/pan roof
Black pack
drive the dream !
CPBLondon

Post by CPBLondon »

Interesting update
Spoke to JLR dealer where I bought the car and his exact words were that thefts ‘were going through the roof’ to the extent that they have stopped doing demo as cars were being taken, keys switched and thefts from the forecourts. Worrying trend if F types theft starts to increase - he had no idea why they would break the window unless the relay failed and plan B is to effect entry then somehow start the car. The somehow is the question as these cars should not be capable of being hot wired and wondering if they have found a way to bypass security now? Perhaps they have cracked the OBD port ? Hoping this is not the start of a trend - The dealer mentioned ghost immobilisers and wondered if anyone has experience of these with the F Type?
F Type S 380
Polaris White
Red interior/pan roof
Black pack
drive the dream !
Brendub

Post by Brendub »

Plenty of detailed videos on YouTube of OBD port theft and key cloning. Smash window alarm goes off kill the alarm with a switch and away you go. You can buy the kit quite easily on the net if you know where to look even comes with full support and updates.
2017 380 bhp V6S Corris Grey Coupe. Black 19inch propeller wheels and pano roof :D :D :D
Mr.Tea

Post by Mr.Tea »

CPBLondon wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:15 pm Interesting update
Spoke to JLR dealer where I bought the car and his exact words were that thefts ‘were going through the roof’ to the extent that they have stopped doing demo as cars were being taken, keys switched and thefts from the forecourts. Worrying trend if F types theft starts to increase - he had no idea why they would break the window unless the relay failed and plan B is to effect entry then somehow start the car. The somehow is the question as these cars should not be capable of being hot wired and wondering if they have found a way to bypass security now? Perhaps they have cracked the OBD port ? Hoping this is not the start of a trend - The dealer mentioned ghost immobilisers and wondered if anyone has experience of these with the F Type?

Someone on another "stolen" thread has posted that the OBD security that stopped them stealing the cars using the port has most likely been bypassed by now and JLR need to try and make another update to stop it happening.

Security of this kind is a cat and mouse game. Car maker creates security which thieves circumvent. Car maker then improves security which sends theives back to square 1. Rinse and repeat. This is why it's recommended to get an "OBD lock" to cover the port and/or move the OBD port from it's original location.

A Ghost Immobiliser is the nuclear option as, from what I understand, even if they have your key, a cloned key or access to the OBD port thieves will still not be able to start the car until your key code/pin has been entered which is why i'm looking into getting one installed.
CPBLondon

Post by CPBLondon »

That is my thinking at the moment- I have had one theft and if I replace the car with similar I do not want it disappearing in the same way. I think the £500 for the Ghost immobiliser is a sound investment as it kills it dead and is hidden. There are some who still believe the F Type cannot be hotwired and you cannot get past the OBD port on post 2015 models ... but it seems they can!
F Type S 380
Polaris White
Red interior/pan roof
Black pack
drive the dream !
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

CPBLondon wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:30 pm That is my thinking at the moment- I have had one theft and if I replace the car with similar I do not want it disappearing in the same way. I think the £500 for the Ghost immobiliser is a sound investment as it kills it dead and is hidden. There are some who still believe the F Type cannot be hotwired and you cannot get past the OBD port on post 2015 models ... but it seems they can!

Sorry to hear what has happened to your car.

If you get it back and decide to keep it or if you end up replacing it with something similar then if possible, fitting extra security outside your home e.g. security lights, CCTV etc would be beneficial. As for the vehicle itself, it would be wise to use a good steering wheel lock as a visible deterrent and detach and hide or lock the OBD port. Also, the Autowatch Ghost-II CANbus Immobiliser is one of the best vehicle security products on the market which should prevent the vehicle from getting stolen in the first place. You can also add a tracker if you wish.

Not sure if you already have it but GAP Insurance is well worth taking out on these cars. I have a 'Return To Invoice' policy with ALA https://www.ala.co.uk/

Some info on the Ghost-II here......

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5154

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3830
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

• You may also be interested in...