Voice command button

Anything F-Type related......
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

On my MY17 XE the voice command button on the steering wheel would allow me to press, it would beep, I could say call Joe Blow and whether my phone was connected by USB or Bluetooth it would call Joe Blow. Now with my new F-Type the button merely mutes the media and gives me no voice commands, however if I connect the phone via USB rather than Bluetooth it gives me Siri. Has the system gone backwards? Have laws changed in the UK such that they have disabled it? Or is something wrong with mine?
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.

Cluck

Post by Cluck »

That's the way Jaguar have implemented it, for some reason. My MY21 F-Type is the same and it bugged the hell out of me as even my old Mazda 3 had a voice activation without the need to plug my phone in. As you say, if you plug the phone in and use Apple Carplay or Android Auto then the voice control button does indeed work. I almost feel ashamed that I had to read the manual to find that out.
MY21 F-Type P450 R Dynamic in Portofino Blue, Black Exterior Pack, Performance Seats, Suede headlining (with Blur as support act)
CJSJAG

Post by CJSJAG »

This also annoyed me since I have this function even on my 4 year old Jeep.
I solved it by adding a dongle plugged into the onboard USB port.
This is the one that works for me (R-Dynamic 380, 2021):
Wireless CarPlay Adapter Carlinkit 2.0 Wired to Wireless CarPlay/Compatible with Factory Carplay Cars Audi/Porsche/Volvo/Volkswagen etc, Wireless Carplay Dongle, CPC200-U2W-Plus, Type C Design Black
Costs about $125 here in US from Amazon.
I did try a different model that did not work, so be careful to get this model.
Also, do buy from Amazon.co.uk to avoid costs of return shipping to China if you do have a problem.
2021 R-Dynamic P380 Convertible BRG
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

But the Jaguar XE worked fine, why have they gone backwards?
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.
CJSJAG

Post by CJSJAG »

Regressive engineering - a thing of the past!!
2021 R-Dynamic P380 Convertible BRG

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post