Potential V6S with lots of swirls - Walk away?

Anything F-Type related......
JimJimJarroo

Post by JimJimJarroo »

Hi Everyone!

I've been watching f-type youtube videos for 6 years and I'm finally in a position to buy one!

I just test drove a V6S in caldera red with 12k miles and full service history, and while the interior is spotless the paint has swirls all over when the sun was shining on it!

I saw the car before they had a chance to prep it to be fair, but this is stopping me pulling the trigger. Is it just a case of it needing to be polished (which is what the dealer said), or is this a sign to walk away? I suspect they were sticking it through car washes, or not using a proper cleaning techniques etc. Maybe its related to the fact Caldera red is non metallic to my understanding compared to IRR?

Appreciate your thoughts, as I don't want to pass up on this car which is well spec'd due to my lack of understanding of paint maintenance, especially if its something that can easily be rectified. the alloys etc were spotless, not a scratch, so its clearly been driven with care, but less so on the paint maintenance.

i've attached a photo that summarises the swirl look all over when the sun is directly on it.

Thanks!

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-29 at 15.38.08.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-29 at 15.44.07.png

James
Last edited by JimJimJarroo on Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr.Tea

Post by Mr.Tea »

Happens to all cars that go through car washes. Even people who hand wash will accidentally put some swirls into the paint eventually.

Unless they're deep scratches, you can probably have most of these swirls corrected at a professional car detailer using machine polishing.

Someone who knows more than me will be of more help.
Parfect

Post by Parfect »

I wouldn't walk away if that's the only reason not to pull the trigger. A single stage polish, circa £200, by a good detailer will take them out. Negotiate with the dealer around it. I managed to get a £400 goodwill gesture from the franchise I bought mine at recently due to the state of the paintwork. Granted I bought it remotely and they had stated the paintwork was 'mint'. Whereas when I received the car it was far from that condition.
Fife Based 20MY V6 P380
Silver
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

Budget in or get discount for a good detailer visit, it'll look mint after... do not accept the dealer's life-shine option which they will push very hard as a freebie.
MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Buy that car before someone else does 😄👍 but don’t let the dealer put it through any more washes.

As others, buy it, give it to a professional detailer. Car will come back to you better than it left the factory.

Check out White Details on YouTube to see what’s possible 👍
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit
JimJimJarroo

Post by JimJimJarroo »

Thanks everyone for the quick response! Deposit down and I asked them to not bother polishing it as I will take it to a detailer.
Mr.Tea

Post by Mr.Tea »

JimJimJarroo wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:52 pm Thanks everyone for the quick response! Deposit down and I asked them to not bother polishing it as I will take it to a detailer.

Try and get some cash off due to poor state of the paintwork. Worth a try.
JimJimJarroo

Post by JimJimJarroo »

Can anyone recommend a good detailer in the Southampton area?

I negotiated another 250 off to pay for the work required, in what was already well priced.

Thanks!

James
XZ4

Post by XZ4 »

Hi and welcome. As others have said , a Good machine polish will get rid of the swirls. I got mine from Bournemouth, just along the road from you.
MY14 3.0S Convertible. Polaris White with black hood, Black pack, Design pack, 20" Cyclones, Red performance heated seats, heated flat bottom steering wheel, Meridian sound system, plus lots more
basher

Post by basher »

JimJimJarroo wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:21 am Can anyone recommend a good detailer in the Southampton area?

I negotiated another 250 off to pay for the work required, in what was already well priced.

Thanks!

James
Welcome! I'm in Southampton too.

I take mine up to Auto Curators near Hook. Had a ceramic coat & front end PPF wrap. They also refurbed my wheels when I scraped 3 of them, and painted rear calipers.
Rhodium silver F-Type 400 Sport AWD coupe.

PB Brakes big brake kit: drilled & slotted rotors, big yellow calipers. 😁

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post