R AWD Ceramic brakes

Anything F-Type related......
jbnufc

Post by jbnufc »

Hi guys I thinking of trading in my V6s for a R AWD. The main concern I have is the R is fitted with ceramic brakes which I am told would be around 15 grand to replace if they needed to be. Has anyone had problems with these brakes.

Regards John.
2014 v6s blue

Mr.Tea

Post by Mr.Tea »

Carbon Ceramic discs, from what I understand, should last the lifetime of the car (or 100k miles IIRC). Googling the internet for the price of CC discs is pretty hard as they're kinda rare however I did find one store that is selling a pair of front CC discs for 8,200 euros... and the rears are the same price. So 16k euro, without pads.

In real world applications there's no need to be running CC discs/brakes unless you're planning for track time. I'd opt for some uprated drilled/grooved discs with some fast street/track pads.

Not sure if anyone has managed to change from CC discs back to regular discs. Might be worth a check.

There's a decent little thread over here on another F-type forum --> https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-ty ... es-135628/
Last edited by Mr.Tea on Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scm

Post by scm »

The main thing to be aware of, AIUI, is to use the supplied wheel guide pins when refitting wheels to ensure you don't damage the rotors.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Expensive parts on the system.

Front Carbon Disc Brake Rotor - for SVR 398mm
T2R13428 - List Price £4,571.03 EACH

Rear Carbon Disc Brake Rotor - for SVR
T2R23861 - List Price £5,348.10 EACH

Unsure why rears are more expensive than fronts but should last longer than the car in theory under normal driving.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
jbnufc

Post by jbnufc »

thanks for the replys guys the car is a 2015 with 50000 miles so i presume the discs are good for another 50000 and i have no intentions on tracking the car.
2014 v6s blue
TheExactPlayer

Post by TheExactPlayer »

Really depends on how the car was driving in those 50k miles. If it's normal driving, then you should be fine on the disks. I'm not sure about the pads, and whether they've ever been changed or not.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Front Carbon Brake Pad SET - for SVR 398mm
T2R11420 - List Price £1,302.44 (for a set)

Rear Carbon Brake Pad SET - for SVR
T2R11424 - List Price £1,210.18 (for a set)
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
Blenky

Post by Blenky »

Got ceramics on my 2018 svr look great and are fantastic, will never have to change them in my life time, get them 👍
MANTOT3

Post by MANTOT3 »

Hi Jbnufc,

Had just the same thoughts myself recently, the perils of finding a used F type with the right spec! The car that came close to my list of wants also had CC brakes and the worry of an expensive replacement bill.
However I was considering upgrading to PB brakes on my previous R at a cost of around 4 Grand. Same look with steel drilled and slotted discs and a Brembo style calliper. That option would be still available should the worst happen.
The only reason for the change was looks, nothing wrong with the performance brakes fitted to the R and they help make the F type affordable.
I’m not heavy on the brakes in general driving, only changed the pads on the R after 50,000 miles and that was during lockdown for something to do. Still had 25% of rear pads and 35 % of fronts remaining so I’m hopeful the CC brakes will carry on past the 100,000 mark.
You will need at first to be aware and apply a little more pressure when the engine revs slightly higher on cold start.
Only done a couple of thousand miles with the CC brakes and apart from manoeuvring on cold start, I can’t tell any difference once underway. I’m not aware of any low speed squeaking and I haven’t detected any difference when applying the pressure, same progressive stopping power not found myself in the footwell !

Added bonus, I don't have to upgrade they allready look the muts nuts !
2016 SVR
Carbon Ceramic Brakes.
Homemade Barless front Grill.
And all the options on my wish list :twisted:
Previous: 2015 AWD R
Backofthenet

Post by Backofthenet »

I have CC discs on my SVR and under normal driving conditions I imagine there is no difference in performance - but in theory you should never have to change the CC discs or pads and I get zero brake dust so wheels always clean.

I do get the squeaking occasionally at low speed having driven a fair distance.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post