2018 2.0 Dipstick

Anything F-Type related......
marinee5

Post by marinee5 »

I have read that removal of the dipstick in the 2.0 can break. I been removing dipsticks for 50 years and never heard of this. Is it true? Want to check oil, but don't want to go to a dealer for such a simple maintenance procedure. Thanks in advance.......

Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Seriously? Who told you that?
Mr.Tea

Post by Mr.Tea »

I don't think i've ever heard of a car having a dipstick so fragile that it will break when you check it. That would defeat the purpose of the dipstick existing. Just go easy with the dipstick and you should have no problems.

Here's some helpful information; https://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/docume ... c/G2320017
CJSJAG

Post by CJSJAG »

You have a dipstick??
2021 R-Dynamic P380 Convertible BRG
bob_mcn

Post by bob_mcn »

marinee5 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:17 pm I have read that removal of the dipstick in the 2.0 can break. I been removing dipsticks for 50 years and never heard of this. Is it true? Want to check oil, but don't want to go to a dealer for such a simple maintenance procedure. Thanks in advance.......
My previous car was an XE 300 sport, that had the same engine, for 2 years, and I never heard that one and never had a problem with the dipstick.
2021MY P300 1st edition Coupe, Eiger grey, with Climate, Privacy, and Tracker,
Previous: 2019MY XE 300 Sport {petrol) with lots of addons.
Previous: 2017MY XE 240 Portfolio (petrol) with a selection of addons.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

@marinee5

Yep, there’s no need to go to a dealer for such a simple thing as checking the engine oil level.

With regards to removing and replacing the dipstick see the 'CAUTION' info below:

The following information is taken from https://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/ in the ‘FLUID LEVEL CHECKS’ section (CHECKING THE ENGINE OIL LEVEL):

2018 F-TYPE

Check the engine oil level frequently (weekly). Top up, as required, using the correct grade for the engine.

ENGINES WITH A DIPSTICK:

CAUTION: The dipstick on 2.0L petrol engines features a lug to aid correct fitment. Make sure the lug is correctly aligned with the groove in the dipstick tube. Failure to do this could result in the dipstick not fitting correctly and oil escaping from the engine.

Before checking the engine oil level, make sure that:

The vehicle is stationary and the Electric Parking Brake (EPB) is applied.

The vehicle is on level ground.

The engine oil is cold.

NOTES:

If it is necessary to check the oil level when the engine is hot, switch off the engine. Let the vehicle stand for 5 minutes to allow the oil to drain back into the sump. Do not start the engine.

The oil level can then be checked as follows:

1. Withdraw the dipstick and wipe the blade clean with a lint-free cloth.
2. Fully reinsert the dipstick and withdraw again to check the oil level.

If the oil level is nearer to the upper mark on the dipstick, do not add any oil.

If the oil level is below half-way, add 0.5 L of oil. Recheck the level and add more oil, if necessary.

If the oil level is below the lower mark, add 1.2 L of oil.

Once the oil has reached the correct level on the dipstick, wait 5 minutes and recheck.

ENGINES WITHOUT A DIPSTICK:

Engines without a dipstick feature an electronic monitoring system. The engine oil level is not monitored when the engine is running, or when the vehicle is in motion.

Before checking the engine oil level, make sure that:

The vehicle is stationary and the Electric Parking Brake (EPB) is applied.

The vehicle is on level ground.

The engine oil has reached its normal working temperature (oil is hot).

The engine has been switched off for 10 minutes. The system does not give an accurate reading until the oil level has stabilised.

The oil level can then be checked as follows:

1. Switch on the vehicle's ignition. Do not start the engine. See SWITCHING ON THE IGNITION
2. Select Oil Level from the Vehicle Info instrument panel menu. See INSTRUMENT PANEL MENU.

The instrument panel displays the engine oil level indicator.

The indicator displays an indication of the oil level. Messages to the right of the indicator advise of any action to be taken including how much oil to add etc.

1.png

2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
scm

Post by scm »

marinee5 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:17 pm I have read that removal of the dipstick in the 2.0 can break. I been removing dipsticks for 50 years and never heard of this.
Sounds like the dipstick wrote what you read! :lol:
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

Got to live this bit “ Before checking the engine oil level, make sure that:

The vehicle is stationary and the Electric Parking Brake (EPB) is applied.” just wondering how you check a dipstick while the vehicle is moving 😂
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.
scm

Post by scm »

Hammers wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:29 am Got to live this bit “ Before checking the engine oil level, make sure that:

The vehicle is stationary and the Electric Parking Brake (EPB) is applied.” just wondering how you check a dipstick while the vehicle is moving 😂
Gotta cater for idiots these days - it's not cool to believe in Darwinism .... :lol:
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

There’s too many dipsticks about nowadays :lol:
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

• You may also be interested in...