Potential Main Dealer Scam

Anything F-Type related......
scharlton

Post by scharlton »

This is not directly F Type related but could impact anyone still using main dealers.

A main dealer recently carried out the 4 year service on my wifes Evoque, I've continued as we bought it from new from them and paid for a 5 year service plan with them. The Evoque has 16,000 miles and we received and nice video of the health check and recommended repairs totalling £1500!

I declined the repairs and a week later decided to write to dealer / customer services to complain about what needed doing to such a low mileage car and see if they'd agree and cover some of the costs. However, when I revisted the video and work required with prices via the internet link, all the prices had dropped, as below.

Alternator/Belt/Baterry condition – Remote Battery £7.44
Rear Brakes – Both rear brake hoses corroded advise replacement £63.97
Brake Fluid Condition – Brake fluid change £32.62
Heater / AirCon operation – Air con service and de germ £144.57
Engine Smoke / Noise – Injector clean £17.94
total £266.54

I can't remember all the prices but I know the brake hoses were around £563 on their own. I wonder if this is a new scam when they quote inflated prices while they have your vehicle and if you decline, they reduce them after the car is returned to avoid any evidence remaining.

What is also disappointing is that they did not record this service or the previous years service on OSH and did not do half of the jobs required in this service as they did not put the costs of the filters etc on the invoice.

SO - reason for the post, just be careful before accepting pricing while the main dealer has your car!!!!
2014 Coupe 5.0R RWD
White
Herts

basher

Post by basher »

That's shocking!

Has your dealer (recently) changed ownership?

I ask this because my local has changed from InchCape to Hendy. It'll be interesting to see how that affects my next service. 😉
Rhodium silver F-Type 400 Sport AWD coupe.

PB Brakes big brake kit: drilled & slotted rotors, big yellow calipers. 😁
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

No way is an injector clean £17.94 - I'm sure these are the parts costs only and the £199 p.h. labour charge is additional.

I would expect any additional advisory work to be itemised and included with the invoice too.

I would give the service manager a call and ask him nicely to explain, before going in all guns blazing.

It's likely typical JLR electronic gremlins again :roll:
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Captain Midlife

Post by Captain Midlife »

Some of those prices seem quite exceptional. Brake fluid change at Harwoods Chichester is £100 and even my local it's £60. Two hoses will set you back more than £63.97. I'd have gone with Lunar but for the A/C service, that's steep? Could it be that they have received your letter and applied a goodwill gesture to certain things already?

if it was me I'd go in smiling and pleasant and see. You can always raise the game if you detect a scam.
Between toys :cry:
Brendub

Post by Brendub »

Not sure if a scam rather incompetence by the dealer. As Captain says go in smiling and see what happens. With dealerships you have to question everything and do not leave or pay until you have all the answers. Best of luck.
2017 380 bhp V6S Corris Grey Coupe. Black 19inch propeller wheels and pano roof :D :D :D
scm

Post by scm »

Some dealers think if you drive a Jaguar your wealth is in inverse proportion to your knowledge of cars.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Mr.Tea

Post by Mr.Tea »

scm wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:56 pm Some dealers think if you drive a Jaguar your wealth is in inverse proportion to your knowledge of cars.
I think this applies to all dealers. I had my Astra VXR in for a free health check at my local Vauxhall stealer.

The exhaust flexi was split so they advised I needed a WHOLE exhaust... the whole thing totalling to £1k in parts alone, not including the labour! Needless to say I laughed myself out of their dealership. For comparison, I bought a full 3" stainlesssteel exhaust, with sports cat, for 1k. They could have welded the exhaust for cheap and it would have been fine. They could have slapped a load of exhaust putty on it and it would have been fine too.

Some dealerships are absolutely insane and it's hard to find a good one nowadays.
scm

Post by scm »

Main dealers aren't in it for the benefit of their customers, they diagnose "faults" with their systems and swap parts (at customer's expense) until the fault goes away. I'm sure there are some decent ones about, but you have to go looking for them!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Main dealers are useless, many don't even know their own internal systems.
Having just found out that the fixed price service is no longer available I have started shopping around rather than pay almost full price at Matford.
Called Chichester and they are quoting even higher stating plugs need changing. I pointed out that they were changed last service and this is shown on my OLSH. Chichester said they can't see this work as having been done🙄 I asked them to check their OLS correctly and revert. Heard nothing so far😡
V6s plugs should be changed 5th service this will be service 6.
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

not surprised, my macan first service 20,000 advised needed new front pads, declined and they went onto 38,000, main dealer

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post