Potential Main Dealer Scam

Anything F-Type related......
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

JurassicF wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:40 pm Main dealers are useless, many don't even know their own internal systems.
Having just found out that the fixed price service is no longer available I have started shopping around rather than pay almost full price at Matford.
Called Chichester and they are quoting even higher stating plugs need changing. I pointed out that they were changed last service and this is shown on my OLSH. Chichester said they can't see this work as having been done🙄 I asked them to check their OLS correctly and revert. Heard nothing so far😡
V6s plugs should be changed 5th service this will be service 6.
I used Chichester for my service in March and had confidence in the work done after speaking to their technician before and after the service, however their communications prior were not good. I wrote to the service manager about my experience (politely of course) and got a good response from him, thanking me for my feedback and promising to brief his team to do better in future, maybe he hasn’t had time to brief them yet?

Fez

Post by Fez »

I would not knock chichester, they are extremely knowledgeable. Language is the key to ensuring you get the best service. If you place your keys on the desk and walk out then yes they will service your car! However if we learn to communicate with the staff, service manager and technicians then you will get a better service. How many of us know the service manager and the technicians by name. I personally have the service managers number in my phone and personal emails from them. Talk to them ask questions and thank them to reap the rewards of good service.
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare
Tel

Post by Tel »

Matford in Exeter will get mine in once I'm in a position to get the car to them - They have always been good as gold with me, even changed all the underbody braces for the thicker plated versions without even a quibble.

Fez is right, it's all about building a relationship, and no, you shouldn't have to, but hey if it's what's needed these days, then I'll have the service manager round for Sunday lunch!
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Fez wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:31 pm I would not knock chichester, they are extremely knowledgeable. Language is the key to ensuring you get the best service. If you place your keys on the desk and walk out then yes they will service your car! However if we learn to communicate with the staff, service manager and technicians then you will get a better service. How many of us know the service manager and the technicians by name. I personally have the service managers number in my phone and personal emails from them. Talk to them ask questions and thank them to reap the rewards of good service.
Not knocking Chichester per se, but main dealers.
I also make sure I discuss in detail, what the car needs and why. I have/had a great relationship with Matford and they have gone to great levels to make sure my car is perfect including changing the cross braces out of the Topix period.

However, how Chichester can say my car needs plugs when the OLSH shows the work was done a year ago and then say they can't see this work on the OLSH, is not acceptable IMHO!
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Fez wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:31 pm I would not knock chichester, they are extremely knowledgeable. Language is the key to ensuring you get the best service. If you place your keys on the desk and walk out then yes they will service your car! However if we learn to communicate with the staff, service manager and technicians then you will get a better service. How many of us know the service manager and the technicians by name. I personally have the service managers number in my phone and personal emails from them. Talk to them ask questions and thank them to reap the rewards of good service.
I’m not knocking the service I got at all and the staff I spoke to were knowledgeable and helpful. I never put my keys on the table and walk out, I always engage with staff and ask to talk to the technicians as I’m genuinely interested and I know that building a relationship with them can only be beneficial to both sides. And yes, I know the names of both service receptionists, the service manager and the technicians who worked on my car.

The problem I had was being asked to email pictures which I did but got no reply. I telephoned and asked them to confirm the pictures had got there and was promised a call back, which never came. I emailed asking them to confirm they had received my pictures and again, no reply. After another call I was told they had received the pictures. Then, the day before my car was due in they asked for pictures again. I told them I had already sent them and received confirmation that they had them but they didn’t know where they had gone and so I sent them again. I had also applied for a quote for a service plan from them and despite receiving an email saying someone would be in touch shortly I never got contacted.

I do realise they are working short handed due to current restrictions and I was calm and polite throughout as I know that no one deliberately does a bad job but their communications are not good IME. The service manager got in touch with me afterwards and I explained what had happened in my case, as above he thanked me for the feedback and gave me his personal contact details for future use. I will almost certainly continue to use them for servicing as they are very competent with the work they do, but I just hope they communicate better as being promised calls/emails that never arrive is frustrating.
scm

Post by scm »

Fez wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:31 pmIf you place your keys on the desk and walk out then yes they will service your car!
Problem is, a lot of dealers encourage such behaviour by having GP-type receptionists to keep customers at arm's length from the technical staff. And our cars are taken away where we can't keep an eye on them. That's why I prefer my indy - I can see my car at all times and watch him doing his stuff!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
scharlton

Post by scharlton »

UPDATE

Thanks for the advice and I did write to the dealer and politely asked for an explaination, I received this answer.

"When you decline the work on the day, it takes the VAT and labour of the prices so it only comes up with the parts."

At least I know now, however, in the email there was no mention of correcting the OSH or explaining the missing service elements.

As for getting to know the technicians / service manager, in all of my visitS to this dealership, I have never met anyone other than the service people who take your details and keys. Even with queiries, they go off, talk to technicians and then come back with answers. I think the GP surgery receptionist analogy is very good.

Thinking about my F Type service with my Indy in July, I know it will cost money but feel so much happier knowing it will go to actual work done and not posh buildings, (not so) free coffee and group profits.
2014 Coupe 5.0R RWD
White
Herts
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Fez wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:31 pm Language is the key to ensuring you get the best service. If you place your keys on the desk and walk out then yes they will service your car! However if we learn to communicate with the staff, service manager and technicians then you will get a better service. How many of us know the service manager and the technicians by name. I personally have the service managers number in my phone and personal emails from them. Talk to them ask questions and thank them to reap the rewards of good service.
Spot on. I've said the same to a few people on PM who were buying but concerned with servicing, repairs, costs etc. A good relationship with a garage is key.

After a good chat years ago, the service manager at my new swanky branch gave me his personal number so for things like 4th service, rear diff and MOT I go through the official Jaguar channels to get a quote and then contact him.

For example Jaguar said £64 for wipers and you have to book in, service manager said £37 and just swing past anytime you want and give me a call when you get there.

4th service, rear diff, mot and a loan car Jaguar said over £900. Manager said £567.19 all in which was cheaper than a local independent.

But the main reason is that if that anything crops up and the front desk person calls saying some garbage about air con needs doing otherwise it will fail MOT (I call that doing a Kwik-Fit) then I always say get xxx to call me, cheers.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

Do they do the satisfaction survey every time you have a service? They do in Australia and where I thought the contact person gave me poor advice I put it on the survey and then got a call from the manager of the service department to sort it out. Had one guy once tell me they recommended rotating all the tyres as the fronts had worn more than the rear and wanted to charge me a huge amount more than any tyre shop would do. When I asked him how they would do that given the fronts and rears were different sizes he tried at first to suggest they weren't, then told me he must have gotten wrong information from the guys doing the work and it was probably left to right. I told him not to bother and put it on my survey form. The manager rang me and apologised and told me to see him next time I come in.
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post