This Is Why You Should Fit OE Tires To Your Car!

Anything F-Type related......
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

I know we all like a good tyre topic and everyone has their own opinion.

There is a new video online which goes into great depth showing the construction and compounds differences comparing a BMW homologated tyre to the off the shelf version.

Enjoy!
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black

Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Interesting video, thanks. I wonder how demanding Jaguar are with Pirelli for their OE tyres and what differences there are between normal P Zeros and Jaguar P Zeros?
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Thanks for posting simpleR - very interesting viewing.

GusA - I think JLR sent their PZero spec via a software link and it got lost in translation 🙄
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

The process is here and P-Zero's come in over 60 different homologated OE versions.
https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-gb/car ... re-marking

The difference between them..... I don't know. Would be good to know as mine runs "J" on the fronts and "AMS" on the rears. (Which is correct for my car).
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
basher

Post by basher »

Interesting video.

To the average layman, it seems to suggest that using an OE tyre on performance cars may be the better choice as it's been developed in collaboration between the car & tyre manufacturers.

i.e. (Jaguar) Pirelli P0 should be better than (generic aftermarket) Michelin PS4S.

Is that the correct conclusion?

But what does it actually mean for the average driver like me who doesn't race on a track but likes to drive fast on s****y UK roads?
Rhodium silver F-Type 400 Sport AWD coupe.

PB Brakes big brake kit: drilled & slotted rotors, big yellow calipers. 😁
Mr.Tea

Post by Mr.Tea »

basher wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:23 pm But what does it actually mean for the average driver like me who doesn't race on a track but likes to drive fast on shitty UK roads?

Most likely nothing. Arguably i'd say unless you're pushing the car hard, even on road, you probably don't need the OE variant and the general aftermarket tyre will do providing you're buying good tyres.
Fatt55

Post by Fatt55 »

This is interesting because I’ve just purchased almost the last p380 AWD, and it scares me, I have no tyre feed back, this is my second p380 AWD, both were on Perelli po , can’t wait to change to MPS4, Or is my new car fitted with in correct tyres, what should I be looking for. I’ve checked the tyre pressure fanatically when cold when warm when hot , I find it mildly more grip with 35psi on a cold start ambient outside temp 10/12 deg. By the time I’ve done 2 miles there at 37/38psi. But in general this car just doesn’t grip or certainly lack of feel particularly on the front almost like the car is so light on the front......?
Neither am I some crazy heavy right foot driver, but I do want to enjoy my car safely. When I first test drove a demo p380 AWD, about 18 months ago I was very impressed with its grip and handling and that was on a horrible rainy day.....

My car is MY2019 P380 chq flag AWD......registered March 2021.
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

I have a MY20 P380 RWD and it has Aston Martin (AMS) rated tyres on the rear and Jaguar (JRS) on the front, same as simpleR’s 400 sport, so I guess that’s right. Grip well enough for me in the dry and good feel too but lack traction when wet or cold even with fairly gentle throttle although very predictable, maybe that’s what they wanted?

Has anyone fitted generic P Zeros to their F Type after OE P Zeros and noticed a difference at all?
scm

Post by scm »

On a previous XKR I needed a replacement Dunlop MAXX after pothole damage and the mobile fitter didn't bring the Jaguar rated one I'd ordered - just a generic one. He said "they're all the same". Well, d'uh! The non-J one lasted half the miles of the "proper" one, so I'd say they weren't quite the same. And I'll never use that mobile fitting company again.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
CJSJAG

Post by CJSJAG »

Interesting comment about the handling on the P380.
I have a 2021 R-Dynamic P380 fitted with P-Zeros, JRS (front) and AMS(back).
I too have notriced a definite floating sensation at the front on certain road surfaces, though I am unable to identify the specific problem surfaces.
The front end seems to float momentarily and "chatter". It is a bit unnerving but only last a very short time, so I am accepting it for now.
I maintain the tires carefully at recommended pressure (cold) and only have 2,200 miles on the tires.

With all due deferrence to UK roads, you have not driven on s****y unless you have driven in Massachusetts!!
They make a fortune here reshaping alloy wheels.
Plus it is too cold here for 6 months to even drive with the P-Zeros or the Michelins.
My plan is to switch to Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 Plus all-season tires in the Fall and leave them on.
They are rated ultra high speed Y and heavy load, though the best I have done yet is only 105mph!!
I am sure they will be fine so long as I do not corner above 80mph!!
2021 R-Dynamic P380 Convertible BRG

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post