Suspension and poor ride comfort

Anything F-Type related......
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

I like Top Gear and find Clarkson entertaining but while the are car journalists I don’t take their view without trying something. Some of the cars they have said are good I believe are absolute rubbish, it is just opinion. I drove over 200km twice over the weekend and found the ride fine. My wife on the other hand complains every time she gets in. Too noisy, too bumpy, seats are too low, sun visors too small, my driving 😂 it is all just opinion, try it first.
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.

Brendub

Post by Brendub »

Hammers wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:07 am I like Top Gear and find Clarkson entertaining but while the are car journalists I don’t take their view without trying something. Some of the cars they have said are good I believe are absolute rubbish, it is just opinion. I drove over 200km twice over the weekend and found the ride fine. My wife on the other hand complains every time she gets in. Too noisy, too bumpy, seats are too low, sun visors too small, my driving 😂 it is all just opinion, try it first.
Agree with Hammers would also add no makeup mirror on the sun visor. My wife makes more noise in the car than the car does. :-). I find the ride quite comfortable and dare I say it better than my old XF which I found could be a bit bouncy on uneven roads around here while the f type sits quite firm.
2017 380 bhp V6S Corris Grey Coupe. Black 19inch propeller wheels and pano roof :D :D :D
Pacemaker1000

Post by Pacemaker1000 »

Was it improved in the latest facelift or is it different in the p300?
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

I normally drive in dynamic mode but with suspension set to comfort, my wife hasn’t complained yet (mine has a mirror in the sun shade too!) even when driving with zeal on twisty back roads as the seats are so good. However, she complains regularly about my shopping trolley car, a VW Polo, and my driving of it though as the seats aren’t as supportive and the car rolls a lot more around corners.

Longest trip was over 300 miles in a day so far in the Jag which was fine for both of us, the real test comes in July as we’re heading up to the Scottish highlands for a week of driving/walking and fresh air.
BobHarrington

Post by BobHarrington »

I was put off buying an ftype with many comments of “harsh” suspension/ride. I like to go touring with my wife, at home and abroad, and she would not put up with harsh suspension. Firm yes, it’s a sports car, but not harsh. The more I researched I came to realise its mainly down to the tyres and wheels. If you choose big wheels with low or ultra low profile tyres then the ride is going to be on the harsh side. For this reason I have 18inch wheels, and both my wife and I are very happy with the ride. The difference in road holding with ultra low profile tyres is very small, and only noticeable on the track. The only advantage of low profile tyres is the looks. They look more sporty. So you pays your money and take your choice. Looks vs ride.
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

The Jaguar is firm no doubt and will show up any road roughness.
I endured this for 2 years of ownership until I recently changed the tires from Pirelli to Michelin and they found the two front rims needed "straigtening". Clearly the previous owner hit a few potholes with bent it out of round.
Anyway all that done and the car's character is totally different - it really feels great - like a GT.
It's not on par with a Lexus in terms of soaking up the bumps, but I'm quite impressed with it. And yes, the later cars 2015 onward are better than the very first releases which Jeremy would have reviewed.
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

BruceTheQuail

Post by BruceTheQuail »

Whether it was because of the forged (lighter) wheels or the bigger rims (21's as opposed to 19's) and the resultant lower sidewalls, or as I suspect a combination of the two, the handling in my f type was improved fantastically when I went from 19's to 21's and it was an improvement that I feel every day, it really gives you confidence in corners and exiting roundabouts - especially with direction changes. The ride comfort was not compromised, going from P zeros in the 19's to PSS's in the 21's. Feels the same in all but the worst roads, in dynamic. On really bad roads in dynamic it is a bit more jittery.

Put it this way, as soon as I decided to buy a Mustang I ordered bigger forged rims to be put on it, with the same PSS tyres. Looks are a factor (nice deep dish, fatter tyres to fill out the arches) but it is mainly about handling. I pick up the car tomorrow and getting the new wheels fitted is on for tomorrow afternoon.
2016.5 V6s in IRR with lotsa wrap
VAP Quad exhaust, pulley and tune, 21 inch Vorsteiners
2019 Mustang V8 manual in subtle orange with tasteful stripes
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Longest single day drive was 630 miles from home to Hergiswil in Switzerland - with the performance seats I still managed to get out ok at the other end.
I find the smaller winter wheels and Sottozero tyres do give more compliance but certainly wouldn’t swap the summer 20” with PS4s’s for the planted feel you get with them.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post