Suspension and poor ride comfort

Anything F-Type related......
Pacemaker1000

Post by Pacemaker1000 »

Was already to buy and watched Clarksons review and how he slated the very poor ride. This has really put me off,
Has there been any changes/improvements since the original model launch especially the very latest model
Can’t believe Jaguar would continue with the same setup given the bad reviews of what is such a great car

scm

Post by scm »

Have you actually driven one? One man's poor ride is another's "perfect but firm".
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Pacemaker1000

Post by Pacemaker1000 »

No not driven yet.
But I even find the standard BMW M Sport cars too firm. Had a metal roof Z4 (non M Sport) with 19s and sold it pretty quickly.
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

I find the ride really well judged by Jaguar.
CPBLondon

Post by CPBLondon »

Never had an issue with ride comfort and have driven ‘lower’ cars such as Lotus that will test the adhesive qualities of you fillings. I seem to recall that the review mentioned that the car was designed to be driven at speed and that is where the ride is optimal. I find the vehicle comfortable as a day car and tourer- never tried on a track. I love how the car handles and it is the best car I have ever owned. You might be missing out so have a test drive and frighten the salesman at your local dealer!
F Type S 380
Polaris White
Red interior/pan roof
Black pack
drive the dream !
Cluck

Post by Cluck »

In all honesty you're going to need to drive one to really know whether it's suitable.

It's firmer than a family hatchback but it's not as firm as the 'comfy' coilovers I had in my previous Nissan 200. I'll be absolutely honest and say I don't really know how to describe the ride comfort level because I don't notice it at all, whether it's in 'Normal' or 'Dynamic'.
MY21 F-Type P450 R Dynamic in Portofino Blue, Black Exterior Pack, Performance Seats, Suede headlining (with Blur as support act)
Pacemaker1000

Post by Pacemaker1000 »

Any comparisons with adaptive in comfort compared to standard stock springs?
Some adaptives just make it firmer. ie comfort is same as stock making adaptive redundant of looking form softer ride.
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

I have read the SVRs are slightly more comfortable, as are lighter forged wheels (which SVRs have anyway). The suspension is harder than, say a XF, noticeable on poor road surfaces at lower speeds, but not as hard as many sporting cars, as others have said.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
scm

Post by scm »

In dynamic mode, assuming you have the configurable option, you have the facility to set the suspension to dynamic or normal. In dynamic it firms up nicely but, as noted earlier, one man's firm is another's bone-jarring, so you definitely have to test drive them rather than believe reviewers, who may may be more or less tolerant.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
BruceTheQuail

Post by BruceTheQuail »

OK this is something that I am a bit passionate about so let me ramble on, I do get there in the end.

First, the Jag OEM wheels and tyre combination is not ideal. The wheels are designed for your charming British roads and seem to be made out of cast iron. So they are heavy as buggery, and not conducive to a good ride. Also the stock tyres (P-zeros) are not ideal. Anecdotally, I switched from OEM 19's with P zeros to flow forged 21's with Michelin PSS's and the ride was identical, but handling improved fantastically. I drive it in dynamic most of the time.

Second, it takes quite a while (probably 5000 miles) for the seats to soften up. I have found this in a few jags, the leather stretches and absorbs the bumps. So if you have the car as your daily but your missus (or mister) is an occasional passenger, you will be thinking how great the ride is on a bumpy road while they look at you sourly from the still firm passenger seat. My cure for that is to have my wife drive it from time to time and let my arse take the punishment in the passenger seat. Seat choice helps as well, I'd pay extra for the better ones.

Finally there is the suspension settings. The base has one setting which is harder than the "normal" setting in the cars with adjustable, but not as firm as dynamic. I found it (i.e. the base suspension) was too firm in the new car I test drove on 20's, whether it would improve with the softening of the seat I dont know.

I would try driving a couple with more than 5000 miles on them before making a decision. Pretty much everyone I have driven in mine has commented on how good the ride is, compared to (say) a Porsche.
2016.5 V6s in IRR with lotsa wrap
VAP Quad exhaust, pulley and tune, 21 inch Vorsteiners
2019 Mustang V8 manual in subtle orange with tasteful stripes

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post