Cayman v F type and poor Jaguar sales

Anything F-Type related......
Pacemaker1000

Post by Pacemaker1000 »

Interested in comments specifically on new p300 and base Cayman 2.0
Rock solid Porsche residuals are tempting alone.

Annoyingly need to order car immediately and have a two hundred mile round trip to test drive both cars which are next to each other. No problem with Porsche but made four calls to Cardiff Jaguar explaining situation to receptionist, when they bother to answer, but still no call back 😡

CJSJAG

Post by CJSJAG »

I checked out a cayman before buying the F-Type. Did not test drive - just sat inside.
It seemed more cramped than the F-Type, and even lower to get down into the seat.
But, if you decide to go that route, I think the 2021 Cayman is now a mid engine car.
2021 R-Dynamic P380 Convertible BRG
BruceTheQuail

Post by BruceTheQuail »

Hi, the Cayman is a fantastic car. My business partner has one (6 cyl) and loves it, though the ride is a lot harder in it (on 20's) than mine is on 21's. If you park our cars next to each other, the F Type is by far the better looking car and I dont think that is just me. I think that applies with greater force for the facelifted f type which is a much meaner, more muscular looking car than the earlier models.

But it depends on who you are, and what you like. For a lot of car enthusiasts, the Cayman will be the better car but the Jag will make you feel like a rock star. The Cayman is a "safer" choice but suffers from "oh you cant afford a 911" syndrome by snobs even though it is probably as good in its own way and to my eyes looks as good as the 911, though mid engined cars do nothing for me.

Our Caradvice did a comparison a few years back https://www.caradvice.com.au/335714/jag ... on-review/
2016.5 V6s in IRR with lotsa wrap
VAP Quad exhaust, pulley and tune, 21 inch Vorsteiners
2019 Mustang V8 manual in subtle orange with tasteful stripes
Pacemaker1000

Post by Pacemaker1000 »

Here’s my initial thoughts
Cayman:
It’s a Porsche! Lol. Seriously though, having had two the dealers are in a different league
Better storage
Great residuals
Handling
Expensive options and zero discount
No privacy glass option
Poor standard equipment

Jag;
High cost and poor residuals. Sort of offset by huge discounts.
As only considering a new 2.0 lacklustre performance .
Gorgeous looks
Poor storage
Firm ride? Again will stick with 18's
Width of car
Good standard kit
Plusher cabin
Not as low to get into
Firm ride but will only spec 18's or 19's max
Reliability
Tel

Post by Tel »

If you want a car that oozes character, you don't buy a Porker*.
If you want a sports car then don't buy the F-Type.

*An air cooled Singer 911 is exempt from that statement ;-)
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Pacemaker1000

Post by Pacemaker1000 »

Tel wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:15 pm If you want a car that oozes character, you don't buy a Porker*.

Prefer a nice tourer to a sports car that will put a smile on your face and feel special
Tel

Post by Tel »

Pacemaker1000 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:20 pm
Tel wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:15 pm If you want a car that oozes character, you don't buy a Porker*.

Prefer a nice tourer to a sports car that will put a smile on your face and feel special
I think you've answered your own initial question in that case.

Just move dealers if the one you're trying isn't playing ball... There's no continuity in quality/service across the JLR network.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Pacemaker1000

Post by Pacemaker1000 »

A guy who buys and trades cars for a living called today to try and purchase my Macan
Asked opinion on F Type and said don’t buy P300 nobody wants them second hand due to poor performance. So residuals pretty dire.
Is this true?
Normally only keep two years tops so residuals really important to me. But have been spoilt with Macan as getting 3.5k more than paid for it! That’s only reason I’m changing tbh, too good a deal to miss
scm

Post by scm »

Pacemaker1000 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:42 pm A guy who buys and trades cars for a living called today to try and purchase my Macan
Asked opinion on F Type and said don’t buy P300 nobody wants them second hand due to poor performance. So residuals pretty dire.
Is this true?
Following that logic, nobody would want them new due to "poor performance". Poor is relative - if you're comparing them to the V8, sure. But it's no slouch.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Pacemaker1000

Post by Pacemaker1000 »

scm wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:56 pm
Pacemaker1000 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:42 pm A guy who buys and trades cars for a living called today to try and purchase my Macan
Is this true?
Following that logic, nobody would want them new due to "poor performance". Poor is relative - if you're comparing them to the V8, sure. But it's no slouch.
In this test it’s only 3/10ths slower than a cayman despite claiming it fealt heavier and noticeably slower

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post