Launch control or similar?

Anything F-Type related......
Rimbo

Post by Rimbo »

Hi all

I was watching a youTube clip the other day and the guy driving it was doing a standing start test. It was an S that he was driving (I've got a MY 2014 V6 base model). He held his foot on the break and floored the accelerator and it kept it at 4k revs and effectively launched him.

Is this a standard feature on all F Types, or is this a proper launch control fitted? I'm too scared to try it on mine until someone has said it'll work!!

Thanks
Salsa Red MY14
V6 3.0 Supercharged

scm

Post by scm »

Not sure if it's standard but it's only available on the V6 and 4-pots, I guess Jaguar figured the V8 just needs to be floored to launch!
No need to be scared, I tested one in a 4-pot in a small car park, just don't release the brake when it says Dynamic Launch Ready! Prolonged use of the brake pedal deactivates it.

To activate, the vehicle has to be stationary, engine running, steering straight ahead and dynamic mode selected. Press and hold the brake pedal with your left foot, move the gear selector to D or S, then right foot lightly on the throttle until "Dynamic Launch Ready" appears. Release the brake and floor the throttle, "Dynamic Launch Active" appears. Hang on tight! ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Don't think the base model V6 has this, only the S.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

I’d assume on the ‘base’ without LSD you simply smoke one tyre and if it did hook up, then soon be pointed to the first ditch or tree..
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
scm

Post by scm »

cj10jeeper wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:21 pm I’d assume on the ‘base’ without LSD you simply smoke one tyre and if it did hook up, then soon be pointed to the first ditch or tree..
Does the 4-pot have an LSD?
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

As far as I know the RWD V6S is the only one that has the launch control function. Nice little feature, used it today. :)
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
scm

Post by scm »

MajorTom wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:48 pm As far as I know the RWD V6S is the only one that has the launch control function. Nice little feature, used it today. :)
And I know the 4-pot loaner I was given had launch control. So RWD V6S isn't the only one. ;)
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

I have launch control on my P300, not done anymore than see it pop up and the cancelled it as wasn't really in a safe spot being in my drive :D
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

scm wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:51 pm
MajorTom wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:48 pm As far as I know the RWD V6S is the only one that has the launch control function. Nice little feature, used it today. :)
And I know the 4-pot loaner I was given had launch control. So RWD V6S isn't the only one. ;)
But MajorTom was just referring to the V6 variants 😉

Be good to understand exactly what the feature does with regards to DSC mapping etc.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Lunar wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:51 am
scm wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:51 pm
But MajorTom was just referring to the V6 variants 😉

Be good to understand exactly what the feature does with regards to DSC mapping etc.
I think the main thing it does is not reduce power during gear changes (normally power is reduced during gear changes to get a smoother uptake of the next gear) so they are harsher than normal and therefore the car acceleration is quicker. I haven’t used it on mine as it doesn’t really interest me and I have a degree of mechanical sympathy!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post