Launch control or similar?

Anything F-Type related......
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Yes, it certainly seems the sort of thing to use on a loan car rather than your own ;)

I think it maybe skips the reduction in torque and shift speed - but there again the ZF is designed to take the power and torque from a 575ps SVR so shouldn't crumble too much from a V6 or i4.

It would be interesting to compare it to the ZF re-programming options that are being peddled now. From my perspective it's not something that is beneficial for road use and once you've tried it once you would be off to change your diff oil again :D
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust

Pete@Jaguar

Post by Pete@Jaguar »

Rimbo wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:26 pm Hi all

I was watching a youTube clip the other day and the guy driving it was doing a standing start test. It was an S that he was driving (I've got a MY 2014 V6 base model). He held his foot on the break and floored the accelerator and it kept it at 4k revs and effectively launched him.

Is this a standard feature on all F Types, or is this a proper launch control fitted? I'm too scared to try it on mine until someone has said it'll work!!

Thanks
Good morning Rimbo,

Thank you for your post.

I can confirm that the availability of the dynamic launch system is dependent on the specification of the vehicle. Should you wish for me to investigate the specification of your vehicle please send me a PM with your VIN.

Should your vehicle have this feature: to activate the dynamic launch system, proceed as follows:

1. Press and hold the brake pedal with the left foot.
2. Move the gear selector to the Drive (D) or Sport (S) position.
3. Using the right foot, lightly press the accelerator pedal until the instrument panel displays a dynamic launch ready message.
4. Release the brake pedal and quickly press the accelerator pedal down to the full travel position. The instrument panel displays a dynamic launch active message to confirm.

I hope this has answered your question.

Thanks, Dan - Jaguar UK
scm

Post by scm »

Lunar wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:51 am
scm wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:51 pm
MajorTom wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:48 pm As far as I know the RWD V6S is the only one that has the launch control function. Nice little feature, used it today. :)
And I know the 4-pot loaner I was given had launch control. So RWD V6S isn't the only one. ;)
But MajorTom was just referring to the V6 variants 😉
It would have been clearer if he'd written "the only V6 variant" instead of "the only one" then, as that latter could well include all models. Let's have less ambiguity in our posts, please!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Lunar wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:41 am Yes, it certainly seems the sort of thing to use on a loan car rather than your own ;)

I think it maybe skips the reduction in torque and shift speed - but there again the ZF is designed to take the power and torque from a 575ps SVR so shouldn't crumble too much from a V6 or i4.

It would be interesting to compare it to the ZF re-programming options that are being peddled now. From my perspective it's not something that is beneficial for road use and once you've tried it once you would be off to change your diff oil again :D
Agree with everything you said! My concern wouldn’t really be for the ZF gearbox but for the rear diff on my RWD car! They don’t seem to be the most reliable part of the F Type. V8’s don’t have launch control, perhaps this is why?
Rimbo

Post by Rimbo »

Awesome responses guys - thanks all for coming back so quickly. Will have a look and drop pete@jaguar my vin and see if I've got it.

This really is a top forum I've got to say!!

Cheers all
Salsa Red MY14
V6 3.0 Supercharged
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Every day is a school day. :) So it seems to be only RWD V6S and P300 then.

If you have it, try it out, it's a nice little feature that does get the car quicker off the line. How much quicker probably also depends on how far you rev it before releasing the brake... the launch ready confirmation seems to pop up at quite low revs while you can still increase the revs.

I'll probably rarely use it mainly because my mechanical sympathy speaks against it although my usual mechanical sympathy is a bit reduced now thanks to the two year warranty. :)
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
scm

Post by scm »

MajorTom wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:23 pmIf you have it, try it out, it's a nice little feature that does get the car quicker off the line. How much quicker probably also depends on how far you rev it before releasing the brake... the launch ready confirmation seems to pop up at quite low revs while you can still increase the revs.
The handbook says the way to launch once you've had the "Dynamic Launch Ready" message is to release the brake and floor the throttle - no mention of preloading the engine revs.
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

scm wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:50 pm
MajorTom wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:23 pmIf you have it, try it out, it's a nice little feature that does get the car quicker off the line. How much quicker probably also depends on how far you rev it before releasing the brake... the launch ready confirmation seems to pop up at quite low revs while you can still increase the revs.
The handbook says the way to launch once you've had the "Dynamic Launch Ready" message is to release the brake and floor the throttle - no mention of preloading the engine revs.
The manual says that you have to lightly press the accelerator while holding the brake, so you do have to rev it a bit before the message comes on. I'll try to rev it a bit higher before launch next time and see if it makes any difference to the launch.
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
scm

Post by scm »

MajorTom wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:56 pm The manual says that you have to lightly press the accelerator while holding the brake ...
I know - I typed that in post 2 of this thread! :?

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post