Exhaust button

Anything F-Type related......
Pacemaker1000

Post by Pacemaker1000 »

So base has active exhaust and dynamic has switchable exhaust.
So does that mean the switch just turns it off?

mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

I think they all have active exhaust now. Before MY16 (2014 cars and early 2015 it was an option on the V6.

The active exhaust opens at predetermined rev point when in normal mode or is always open when dynamic mode is selected.

The button allows the exhaust to be opened or closed independent of these settings. i.e. It can be opened in normal mode at any revs and say closed when in dynamic.

Sometimes I drive in dynamic mode but close the exhaust when on the motorway if it gets a bit droney.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
scm

Post by scm »

As Mick says, it's a toggle, if you're in dynamic the valves are open by default so the switch turns them off. In normal mode it opens them but depending on MY not necessarily all the time. In my MY18 in dynamic the valves are open all the time, in normal mode with the switch on the valves don't open until around 1500 rpm (the difference is noticeable at tickover). The valves always open around 3500-4000 rpm, regardless of switch position - at higher revs you can't keep the valves closed. Other MYs behave a little differently, some open the valves from tickover in normal mode with the switch on.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

Had my FType a couple of months. First few weeks went around with values open all the time. But then realised I actually prefer the sound when accelerating from low revs with the values closed...sounds more refined, almost F1, as opposed to the value open drone.
scm

Post by scm »

Duvetday wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:18 pm Had my FType a couple of months. First few weeks went around with values open all the time. But then realised I actually prefer the sound when accelerating from low revs with the values closed...sounds more refined, almost F1, as opposed to the value open drone.
The valve open sound is very addictive at first, isn't it? :lol:
But as you say, you can have too much of a good thing - and it seems only polite to not deafen people you overtake! ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

If you look on the bottom of the switch it’s stamped Tunnel Switch 😎

And yes, I too prefer to run in Dynamic with valves closed on motorways.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Duvetday wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:18 pm I actually prefer the sound when accelerating from low revs with the values closed...sounds more refined, almost F1, as opposed to the value open drone.
Yes, I've always thought the way it has been set up on the V6 to gradually open and build up into a full F1 style wail is really clever.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Duvetday wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:18 pm Had my FType a couple of months. First few weeks went around with values open all the time. But then realised I actually prefer the sound when accelerating from low revs with the values closed...sounds more refined, almost F1, as opposed to the value open drone.

Once heard an amazing sounding car heading towards me on a fast country lane. Couldn’t see it, just heard it. Was thinking something exotic. Pleasantly surprised when a V6 flew past 👍
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit
Pacemaker1000

Post by Pacemaker1000 »

But the base has active exhaust but no button?
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

The button was optional at launch - you even see some V8S’s without it.

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/11837294
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post