New v Old

Anything F-Type related......
Jim8888

Post by Jim8888 »

Hi
I'm thinking of buying an F Type and have been to see a local dealer who's offering a brand new P300 that would sit within my budget (the V8 doesn't!)
The thing is, I suspect that if I'm going for something that I'm really only going to drive for pleasure at around 5,000 miles a year, the car I should be looking at is the "old" V6. There are a couple of models on the market right now with the spec I'd want that have c 25,000 miles on them and are five years old.
So what do forum members think? If I buy new I have the peace of mind with the warranty, the latest model and the pleasure of a new car. With the older version, I get the mean(er) machine, I buy cash instead of PCP (which is what I'd do on the new model) and would have some equity at the end of it. But at five years old, could I be buying potential problems?
Any advice on the merits of buying a new Jag versus and older version?

scm

Post by scm »

The reputation that Jaguar had for unreliability is really a thing of the past - they're no less reliable than any other equivalent make. I've had "old" Jaguars n the past and found them to be reliable and not let me down, or been a money pit. Do your due diligence and buy as you would any other car, check that it hasn't been abused and has been serviced properly and you should be fine. My best advice is to find an independent you trust who will look after you - you may not get "free" coffee or flashy premises, but you'll get value for money and great service (IME).

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Personally I’d go for the older model but not rush into a purchase. It’s a personal choice though. Forum member SimpleR has helped many owners to get very useful history on potential purchases. There’s loads of useful info on this forum too, and a good search function to help you find it. Good luck!
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

If you do the maths then the new car will never make any sense at all. Depreciation be it hidden in a PCP or otherwise is the killer
You’ll also be compromising on what you clearly want - the V6
If it helps I purchased a now old MY14 V6S. Have 55k on it. Customised somewhat to my preferences and is largely a weekend car as I don’t commute. All new cars are soon old…
Perhaps depreciated £10k in 4.5 years and perhaps worth £20k in another 5.4 so in reality c£150 a month for the decade.
Never missed a beat. 4 tyres and annual services is it plus to your point it’s the meaner machine

BF4AAE94-683D-4900-9C05-158E8FBC372B.jpeg

2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
bob_mcn

Post by bob_mcn »

I found myself in a similar choice scenario last year, a very tough choice to make, I decided on the new route with the 1st Edition P300 coupe, :D and not regretted it, great looks, 8-) enough power (for me), :evil: not as noisy on early morning startups, :roll: 3 year warranty, and a service plan, :) all means the F type and me are looked after for 3 years at least.

Whatever choice you make, you'll love it.
2021MY P300 1st edition Coupe, Eiger grey, with Climate, Privacy, and Tracker,
Previous: 2019MY XE 300 Sport {petrol) with lots of addons.
Previous: 2017MY XE 240 Portfolio (petrol) with a selection of addons.
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

There's no right or wrong on this, I've done both. My first f type was ordered new, as the earliest used cars at the time were barely 12 months old and almost the same cost as a new one. But mainly because I couldn't get the colour, wheels and spec I wanted. Whereas my latest f type is a used car, again because of the spec and colour.

It depends on what you'd be happiest with, there are merits to both. New car and more modern infotainment vs the glorious sounds made by the unrestricted older V6 exhaust, which is increasingly a thing of the past.

In terms of warranty, Jaguar dealers will give 12 months warranty anyway on used cars, which is very comprehensive. It'll cost about £900 to renew each year (payable monthly if preferred). There's still some care needed when buying here, as I've seen main dealers with cars with iffy history. SimpleR, on here, is really good at helping with the history of any particular car

As an example, I traded in my 6 year old V6 which had 34,000 miles. Immaculate 1 owner car with zero issues. I can't see it advertised anymore so someone got a great car. If you decide to go for used, there will be some good ones, but you will need to be choosy.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
Jim8888

Post by Jim8888 »

Quick update, I have gone for a new F Type P300. The main reason was that I just didn't have confidence in buying a car that was five or six years old, so it was mostly for peace of mind. But I also really like the look of the newer F Type with the redesigned headlights etc.. The other big factor was that I noticed just how limited driving has become around where I live. You just can't put your foot down anywhere. Speed traps, cyclists, walkers, joggers, other drivers - you have to be mindful of all of them. I asked myself just how often I engage Sports mode in my M Sport 5 Series and the answer is almost never. When I test drove a V6 it seemed to want to push all the time, but there was hardly anywhere to go! So, in the end, I went for the car that seemed to suit me best. Unfortunately it might be March before it arrives, but I'm sure it will be worth the wait. :D
Pacemaker1000

Post by Pacemaker1000 »

Was in same predicament couple months ago and went new model. Problem is old ones are currently commanding high prices that make them unattractive when you do the maths.
I would take the new model pcp contribution and pay it off straight away.
For example a new model p300 with pcp was exactly 50k and cheapest V6 from a franchised dealer with a warranty and low miles is 45k for a three year old discontinued model!
It’s a no brainer when apart from noise it’s a better brand new car!
Could always buy a new exhaust if it bother you that much
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

I did the same although for a slightly different reason, mine will be driven 20k miles per year. Yes the depreciation will kill me but didn’t want a car without warranty for so many miles, also the petrol use was a factor. The P300 is a fun car to drive, and yes doesn’t have the noise of its bigger engine brothers, but still a great looking car and has enough punch to enjoy a fun drive. Will look at a V8 used, or a used Aston Martin possibly, when it is just for a weekender in the future.
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Jim8888 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:33 pm Unfortunately it might be March before it arrives, but I'm sure it will be worth the wait. :D
That's a lot of you tube videos to be watching until delivery 😁. (Lots of us have been there). Nice to have a new car in the spring.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR