Switching to manual gear control without changing gear ?

Anything F-Type related......
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

When I use the gear paddles to take manual control over the gears it either moves up or down a gear, obviously depending which paddle I pull.

But what if you are happy with the current gear,....you just want the car to cease shifting up or down automatically...you just want it to remain in its existing gear waiting for your first manual paddle shirt ? In other words, is there a way to get into manual gear control without an actual gear change occuring ?

Knocking the gear lever over to the left and into sport is not the answer as this too involves a gear change (down) that I migth not immediatey want.

Maybe I am missing something very obvious here....but right now every time I start using the paddles I have to fiddle around with them to get back into the gear the car was in before I pulled the paddle often with a bit of kangarooing.

First auto car for me by the way, so go easy...

Cluck

Post by Cluck »

As far as I have been able to work out, the simple answer is no. Pushing the shifter over to Sport is also "interesting" if you're not in 'D'!

What I haven't tried, and maybe it's just wishful thinking, but have you tried pulling one of the gear levers in for a few seconds? That works for resetting the manual gear selection to 'D' but it's never occurred to me to try it the other way around, to move from D to manual control of gears. Also, remember that you will need to switch to Sport mode if you want to retain control of the gear shifting once you have got manual control - in standard 'D' mode it will usually revert to 'D' after certain conditions are met (I'm sure somebody will be able to furnish this thread with the exact details)
MY21 F-Type P450 R Dynamic in Portofino Blue, Black Exterior Pack, Performance Seats, Suede headlining (with Blur as support act)
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

Haven't played with it for a while but can't you set so levers only work on Sports Mode, or both S+D, is there nothing in there that allows you to switch? Mine is not on at all unless I activate it and then only on Sports, not Drive mode. Surely if I put it in sports in Auto and then activate the levers it should hold gear?
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

You're correct in your findings Duvetday.

Hence always best to pull the RH lever to go up a gear before knocking the trigger into Sport mode, as sometimes the gear selected automatically can be a couple of cogs lower and makes people think you've missed a gear change :roll:

You just anticipate the need (desire!) for Sport mode and get set up a second or so earlier and it comes naturally after a few times.

The only time you won't go up a gear is when already in 8th - for instance coming off a motorway cruise onto the exit ramp.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Cats

Post by Cats »

Do it from rest then you will be in control of gears as you go up through the box with no sudden surge or rise in revs without expecting it.
Rhodium Silver F Type SVR Coupe 2016 now gone sadly
Ultra Blue F Pace SVR 2022
scm

Post by scm »

Cluck wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:52 pm... in standard 'D' mode it will usually revert to 'D' after certain conditions are met (I'm sure somebody will be able to furnish this thread with the exact details)
Mine reverts to auto if the paddles are left alone for about 20 seconds.

And you can also use the stick in S to change gear - back to shift up a gear, forward to shift down.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Cats wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:27 am Do it from rest then you will be in control of gears as you go up through the box with no sudden surge or rise in revs without expecting it.

I also do this. Avoid transfer from D to S, whilst moving, to avoid that initial ‘jolt’. Never felt right to me.
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Remember in dynamic, sport gearbox (to the left) and manual it doesn't auto change up at the rev limiter. (Manual all the time here).
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
scharlton

Post by scharlton »

Mine has 2 settings only.
1. Fully automatic in normal mode for first 5 miles while everything warms up
2. Dynamic, paddle change with gear selector pushed left to keep manual for all other driving, unless motorway can't be avoided.
4 years of ownership in and still enjoy it, a keeper until my wife relents and lets me get back on 2 wheels :lol:
2014 Coupe 5.0R RWD
White
Herts
Cluck

Post by Cluck »

scm wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:39 am
Cluck wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:52 pm... in standard 'D' mode it will usually revert to 'D' after certain conditions are met (I'm sure somebody will be able to furnish this thread with the exact details)
Mine reverts to auto if the paddles are left alone for about 20 seconds.
Mine does too, most of the time, but I know there have been instances where it hasn't changed back to D quite so quickly when I've been out, and I thought I'd read something about the various ways the car decides. Or I might have dreamt it. Probably the latter!
MY21 F-Type P450 R Dynamic in Portofino Blue, Black Exterior Pack, Performance Seats, Suede headlining (with Blur as support act)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post