Switching to manual gear control without changing gear ?

Anything F-Type related......
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

Lunar wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:44 am You're correct in your findings Duvetday.

Hence always best to pull the RH lever to go up a gear before knocking the trigger into Sport mode, as sometimes the gear selected automatically can be a couple of cogs lower and makes people think you've missed a gear change :roll:

You just anticipate the need (desire!) for Sport mode and get set up a second or so earlier and it comes naturally after a few times.

The only time you won't go up a gear is when already in 8th - for instance coming off a motorway cruise onto the exit ramp.
This sounds like the best work around solution to the quesiton I actually posed. Still seems odd though that you have to fiddle around to get to a suitable gear every time you move from auto to manual...would make far more sense if it were one paddle click to switch to manual followed by a 2nd paddle click to change up or down a gear...rather than that first click throwing you into an inappropriate gear 9 times out of 10.

Hope Jaguar is listening.

scm

Post by scm »

Duvetday wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:35 pmStill seems odd though that you have to fiddle around to get to a suitable gear every time you move from auto to manual...would make far more sense if it were one paddle click to switch to manual followed by a 2nd paddle click to change up or down a gear...rather than that first click throwing you into an inappropriate gear 9 times out of 10.
Well, logically, if you want to use manual gears it could be argued that you're not in the right gear already, or why would you want to intervene?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
scm

Post by scm »

simpleR wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:24 am Remember in dynamic, sport gearbox (to the left) and manual it doesn't auto change up at the rev limiter. (Manual all the time here).
Mine doesn't have to be in dynamic, S is enough to stay in manual all the time. Worth noting that it will downshift if the speed drops too low for the current gear.
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

scm wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:11 pm
simpleR wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:24 am Remember in dynamic, sport gearbox (to the left) and manual it doesn't auto change up at the rev limiter. (Manual all the time here).
Mine doesn't have to be in dynamic, S is enough to stay in manual all the time. Worth noting that it will downshift if the speed drops too low for the current gear.
Isn't it the same on all that you have the option in the settings to have it on for S or S+D (Drive), nothing to do with Dynamic mode?
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.
scm

Post by scm »

Hammers wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:23 pm
Isn't it the same on all that you have the option in the settings to have it on for S or S+D (Drive), nothing to do with Dynamic mode?
Yeah, that's to have the paddles active. I was clarifying simpleR's post which implied that you had to be in dynamc for manual mode not to upshift automatically, which isn't the case in mine.
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

There seems to be a little confusion still.

Cars come from the factory normally with paddles available only in "S" or sport.
They can be authorised for both "S" and "D" by going into the menu and ticking the appropriate boxes.

With the car in "D" the car will return to normal auto mode after about 20 seconds if a paddle isn't touched or by pulling in the right hand paddle for a couple of seconds.
With the car in "S" the paddles will stay operational unless they are cancelled by pulling in the right hand paddle for a couple of seconds. They do not return to auto mode unless this is done.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

scm wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:29 pm
Hammers wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:23 pm

Yeah, that's to have the paddles active. I was clarifying simpleR's post which implied that you had to be in dynamc for manual mode not to upshift automatically, which isn't the case in mine.
The intention of my post was to highlight that when in manual the car will not change up for you when you arrive at the rev limiter.

This is different to other manufacturers, such as my previous Golf R, and therefore thought it was a mention as the rev limiter approaches very fast in 1st!

I was relating to my default setup/driving style of dynamic/S/manual in my post.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

scm wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:09 pm
Duvetday wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:35 pmStill seems odd though that you have to fiddle around to get to a suitable gear every time you move from auto to manual...would make far more sense if it were one paddle click to switch to manual followed by a 2nd paddle click to change up or down a gear...rather than that first click throwing you into an inappropriate gear 9 times out of 10.
Well, logically, if you want to use manual gears it could be argued that you're not in the right gear already, or why would you want to intervene?
Nope - thanks for sticking with my original question, but I want to switch to manual ready to change gear when the time comes that I am good and ready to, and without the car changing gear when I initially switch into manual mode. For example, as I leave a built up area knowing that there are some 60 zone country roads around the corner I'd like to 'switch' into manual mode, so simply progressing to higher revs in my current gear and then changing up manually when I see fit to.
Parfect

Post by Parfect »

If you pull the paddle toward you when in Auto it will switch to paddles. Tried it tonight in Dynamic Mode.
Fife Based 20MY V6 P380
Silver
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

Parfect wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:18 pm If you pull the paddle toward you when in Auto it will switch to paddles. Tried it tonight in Dynamic Mode.
Again, I don't think it has anything to do with Dynamic mode (though happy to be corrected if some model years that is the case), it is merely Sports mode, or if you select in the options Sports + Drive mode when you hold the paddle.
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post