Help with F-Type info

Anything F-Type related......
The Hatt

Post by The Hatt »

I see early F-Types are down to something I could consider. I’m a bit of a Jag fan at heart. My Dad had a number of them and years ago I had a V12 XJS.

I’m a little lost on the different models specs. :|

I see there is the V6 and V6 S that has 40hp more. Are there any other differences? Do they use the same kind of rear differential?

I’m also confused over rwd and awd. Autotrader suggest there are V6’s with awd. Was it just an option or only available on certain specs/engines?

On this note. I’ve read and watched quite a few reviews of the F-Type. But hardly any of them mention if they are rwd or awd. How do they compare? Is the awd one akin to the awd experience something like an Impreza turbo can offer? Ie hugely capable and fun in all and any conditions? Or does it sort of blunt the fun?

Autotrader also says there are 8 cars with manual gearboxes. Which seems very few. But a manual would appeal. How does the awd and ‘S’ model factor into manuals?

Thanks.

scm

Post by scm »

The F-Type's AWD is mostly RWD with occasional assistance from the front when the car detects some instability occurring. Overall the AWD is a bit down on power compared to the RWD due to the losses in the front diff and transfer box but I doubt you''d notice it away from a dyno. V8 models were available in RWD or AWD, subject to model year. Manual transmission was only available on the V6 models and there were issues with the clutches on early models - they're up to gen 4 now! However, the ZF auto box is such a good fit for the F-Type and it's been very well programmed - its almost as if it's got ESP as I find mine changes gear pretty much when I'd want it to. It learns your driving style and adapts to that - drive it gently and it'll upshift at 2,000 rpm, floor it and it'll redline it for you.

Regarding the diffs, they're different betwen the V6, V6S and V8, I'm sure someone will be able to give you chapter and verse.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

There are 3 differentials used in the F-type. They start with a fixed differential on the 4 cylinder 300ps and V6:340ps cars Then the mechanical limited slip differential fitted to the higher output V6's 380ps and 400ps V6s. Finally an electronic controlled limited slip differential on the V8's.

AWD came in after a couple of years, again on the higher output models. Both features make the performance more usable for normal drivers more of the time across broader weather conditions as the power available increases up the range

Basically all of the cars are plenty fast enough and great to drive. They just get faster and keep the composure as you go up in power.

As SCM says the automatic suits the car perfectly, has well proven reliability and better economy than the manual cars. You can drive it on the paddles/stick manually and alternate between auto/manual instantly.

The only decision really is what sort of sound, economy, features and performance you desire. There's no such thing as a bad F type, just different ones depending on your priorities. (Speaking as someone who's gone from near the bottom of the range to the top, as a number of us have done).

If you are looking at early cars, the active exhaust was an option on the lower end V6 models. This is something you should look for (it's not dependant on the exhaust button near the gearstick), as this exhaust contains valves that are opened in certain conditions. Cars late 2015 onwards will have the active exhaust as standard, so anything 15 plate or earlier in the V6 should be checked.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

I don't mean to hijack the thread.
But what is the difference between the F type R and R Dynamic?
Thanks
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

I think R dynamic refers to a trim level i.e. a body kit, more equipment as standard etc. The 'R' is the V8 engine.

It a bit confusing. Early cars were V6 340ps base, V6 380 S and V8 550 R. But there was also V8 495ps badged S for a short period before the 550R.

Later cars had both base trim then R Dynamic trim on the 300ps 4 cylinder and V6:340ps and 380ps alongside the P450 and P585' V8's both RWD and AWD available on some models.

There were also special editions SVR and 400 sport
, Chequered Flag etc.

The Honest John review page for the F type lists the variant names and engine sizes over time on the specs page.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/j ... 2014/specs

In answer to the original question of the difference between the 340 and the S. The S has the extra 40ps which is right at the top of the rev range. It also had larger brakes, a mechanical limited slip differential and configurable dynamics (I e. adaptive suspension and the ability to select dynamic steering, suspension, gearchange irrespective of the standard 3 mode settings)
Last edited by mickjaguar on Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mikeyf

Post by Mikeyf »

There is a great book called “Jaguar F-Type the complete story” 2nd half all about the Ftype and the models and changes... very interesting history of Jaguar in the first half...
MY2015 V8 R Coupe
Metallic Black with Black Pack, Black Wheels, Black Leather & Black Callipers.
Debadged apart from black leaper.
scm

Post by scm »

mickjaguar wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:23 pm In answer to the original question of the difference between the 340 and the S. The S has the extra 60ps which is right at the top of the rev range.
Is my maths bad or should that be 40PS? Unless you mean the special edition 400?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

You need to visit a dealer and drive different models, then you will find out your self which one to buy
The Hatt

Post by The Hatt »

mickjaguar wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:23 pm

In answer to the original question of the difference between the 340 and the S. The S has the extra 40ps which is right at the top of the rev range. It also had larger brakes, a mechanical limited slip differential and configurable dynamics (I e. adaptive suspension and the ability to select dynamic steering, suspension, gearchange irrespective of the standard 3 mode settings)
Thanks. So just to confirm. The base model V6. Does it use just an open diff and traction control? Ie no LSD.

Probably not a major issue. But might restrict hooligan and tail out antics a bit.

Does the rear diff change on awd models (there are V6 awd aren’t there?) is the awd system Haldex based or is it using the same sort of transfer box as a modern Range Rover?
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Yes base 340 is open diff and traction control. Probably matters if you want to use it as a drift car and have your own tyre business 😄 or mainly use it for track racing. It's enough of a hooligan when required.

The AWD have a transfer box and not being the base model will have one of the LSD variants.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post