Manual Gearbox Cars - Clutch Pedal 'Feel' from cold

Anything F-Type related......
jezzaaa

Post by jezzaaa »

Hi All,

Just for the mad manual g/b types like me I guess...I notice this most times when I start it...the clutch pedal feels light and there's a gentle 'notch' when I let it out again after the engine has started. Hard to describe .. feels like the pedal almost doesn't want to come all the way back again. But then as soon as I drive away the pedal feels absolutely normal again. Having only driven this one F-type manual, I don't know what's normal. Does this sound familiar?

Ta,
J.

scm

Post by scm »

What year is your F-Type? There have been recurring issues with the clutch over the years and Jaguar is now up to a gen 4 version. There are a few threads about the issue here and on the US forum.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
jezzaaa

Post by jezzaaa »

scm wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:27 pm What year is your F-Type? There have been recurring issues with the clutch over the years and Jaguar is now up to a gen 4 version. There are a few threads about the issue here and on the US forum.
Its a MY2017, registered in 2016. Yeah, I read some stuff about clutches...but not about the pedal feel/travel etc.
Tewy

Post by Tewy »

jezzaaa wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:30 pm Hi All,

Just for the mad manual g/b types like me I guess...I notice this most times when I start it...the clutch pedal feels light and there's a gentle 'notch' when I let it out again after the engine has started. Hard to describe .. feels like the pedal almost doesn't want to come all the way back again. But then as soon as I drive away the pedal feels absolutely normal again. Having only driven this one F-type manual, I don't know what's normal. Does this sound familiar?

Ta,
J.
Hi,
This happens with my 3.0 V6 and it is the clutch pedal that is sticking, as all I do is put my foot under the pedal and pull it towards me and it reverts to normal. Before I realised how to do this the pedal would go back to normal after a short run. I do not think this is related to the clutch issues stated in the forums otherwise I would not be able to release it so quickly. I now need to look at the pedal system to stop this happening.
F type 3.0 V6 supercharged manual, Honda CRV, Jaguar XJ-SC manual 3.6
Tewy

Post by Tewy »

jezzaaa wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:30 pm Hi All,

Ta,
J.
Have just read that a sticking clutch pedal could be a faulty slave cylinder
F type 3.0 V6 supercharged manual, Honda CRV, Jaguar XJ-SC manual 3.6
jezzaaa

Post by jezzaaa »

Thanks Tewy … so maybe a couple of options. Cheers :)
stickshift steve

Post by stickshift steve »

Usually a build up of air in the clutch fluid causes the pedal not to return . not sure if they can be bled or not.
jezzaaa

Post by jezzaaa »

stickshift steve wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:35 pm Usually a build up of air in the clutch fluid causes the pedal not to return . not sure if they can be bled or not.
Worth a look ... thanks.
stickshift steve

Post by stickshift steve »

I have had a quick search , it looks like there is a bleed valve . Air rises so it might just be a case of cracking the bleed screw open very slightly and letting any bubbles come out naturally in the fluid. I.E ,not pushing the pedal down at all.
We bleed truck clutches to get a pedal then road test them and do a final crack off of the bleed nipple afterwards like this to dispel the air that has risen .
Darren P

Post by Darren P »

Sorry to hi Jack this tread. Another clutch question. I have a 2017 340 I believe 2018 model manual

I am finding the car very difficult to drive smoothly off the line and 1st to 2nd gear change. I found rev matching I. e blipping throttle whilst changing up helps. Not had to do that before.

Anyone else find it a challenge.
2017 F Type 340 Caldera Red
2020 I Pace

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post