roof stuck shut

Anything F-Type related......
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Hotlurve wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:09 pm how to manually open the roof would also be useful so i can remove the smart top module.

spose it could have been worse and stuck open rather than shut !!!
Hotlurve wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:51 pm I went to have a look this morning tried to open the roof with the key fob and worked first time !! also worked with the cent console switch……. hope its ok now and just a one off………id previously yesterday tried switching the ignition on and off a few times ,,, used the key fob and nothing seemed to work ….. now it appears to have miraculously fixed itself !

In case you ever need it......If the roof sticks in the open position, instructions on how to manually close it are also on pages 69-72 of the F-Type Owner’s Handbook, and on https://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/ in the ‘Convertible Roof’ section.

Do not attempt to open the convertible roof manually, as damage to the linkage mechanism may occur (as stated on page 69 of the F-Type Owner’s Handbook).

Out of curiosity, is the key fob battery ok?
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

Hotlurve

Post by Hotlurve »

well im assuming the battery is fine as it opens and locks the doors and boot from a fair distance woulnt hurt to change it i suppose.
i have to mention the smartop has never been consistently reliable and often ignores commands like 3 taps on unlock to lower the roof and windows at once! i know the fob works as the doors unlock/lock every time.
Polaris White 380 rdstr, 2013, extnd leather,perf seats, cyclone 20”, Ferrari 458 spider 2015, Bianco avus,carbon pack, carbon seats, front lift, musician, biker,.
Money may not buy you happiness but I’d rather cry in a Jag than a bus. (or a 458)
scm

Post by scm »

If it's the original battery, then I reckon it's done well at 8 years! Maybe your CTEK is masking how tired it really is?

Edit: just realised you're talking about fob batteries! But my point about the main battery stands.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Hotlurve wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:02 pm well im assuming the battery is fine as it opens and locks the doors and boot from a fair distance woulnt hurt to change it i suppose.
i have to mention the smartop has never been consistently reliable and often ignores commands like 3 taps on unlock to lower the roof and windows at once! i know the fob works as the doors unlock/lock every time.

Pointless changing the key fob battery if it’s working ok.

Even if your main battery is the original at approx 8 years old, providing it’s been looked after and isn’t frequently losing charge e.g. 'Low Battery' messages on the Touch screen / Message centre, it should be ok for a while yet.

Hopefully the issue you had with opening the roof won’t reoccur but if it does, you could find these links helpful (bearing in mind what page 69 of the F-Type Owner’s Handbook says....."Do not attempt to open the convertible roof manually, as damage to the linkage mechanism may occur")

viewtopic.php?t=2579

viewtopic.php?p=24301#p24301
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
scz4

Post by scz4 »

Definitely put the car on a trickle charger for 24-48 hours depending on the device rating.

When I bought the F-type the roof didn't work, even after the garage checked and charged the battery the night before oh and a 350 mile drive home. Everything was else was ok. It definitely put a damper on collection, but I'd already flown down.

Anyway, I put it on charge and it's been fine ever since. That said, battery is 8 years to I keep it connect during the winter when not in use as a precaution. In the warmer summer there's no need.
Hotlurve

Post by Hotlurve »

cheers chaps
Polaris White 380 rdstr, 2013, extnd leather,perf seats, cyclone 20”, Ferrari 458 spider 2015, Bianco avus,carbon pack, carbon seats, front lift, musician, biker,.
Money may not buy you happiness but I’d rather cry in a Jag than a bus. (or a 458)
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

scz4 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:28 pm Definitely put the car on a trickle charger for 24-48 hours depending on the device rating.

When I bought the F-type the roof didn't work, even after the garage checked and charged the battery the night before oh and a 350 mile drive home. Everything was else was ok. It definitely put a damper on collection, but I'd already flown down.

Anyway, I put it on charge and it's been fine ever since. That said, battery is 8 years to I keep it connect during the winter when not in use as a precaution. In the warmer summer there's no need.

Sounds like he's already done this......

Hotlurve wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:09 pm I have the ctek charging the battery however that shows green so i dont think its a battery issue.

Worth charging it periodically over the colder winter months though, especially if the vehicle isn't used as much.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post