Nav system maps

Anything F-Type related......
Millwheel

Post by Millwheel »

Immediately prior to a week in North Wales I downloaded the latest map update for my 2020 P300. On the drive up, I let it load, the old mapping is deleted first then the new maps are loaded… or not, this case. Something went wrong and the system cannot revert. So no maps for a week, fortunately the CarPlay option offers excellent alternatives if a bit clunky to start up. The one downside of losing the nav mapping was that the traffic sign recognition failed almost completely. I rely on it quite a bit now the road signs are so often obscured by tree growth, fading, dirt and poor placing. My understanding was that the windscreen cameras were supposed to read the road signs but it is clear now that they are hopeless at it without support from the nav system. Which begs the question as to how good they are when they supply data for the autonomous braking and the speed limiter. Anyway you wonder how Jaguar were so cheapskate that they couldn’t install enough memory to allow the old map to be retained in case the new maps didn’t load. Apart from that North Wales was pretty good driving as always despite traffic levels being much higher than normal for this time of year - the place was packed out. Sadly the Evo Triangle is now 100% SPECs but still good alternatives around to enjoy. Car was faultless, the usual joy to drive and the fuel economy a boon when the petrol ran out at the end of the week!

CJSJAG

Post by CJSJAG »

I just updated my maps for the first time on my 2021 P380.
I am surprised you saw fit to leave while installing the map update on a road trip..
While I realize JLR instructions indicate it is safe to do so, the actual loading time from a USB 3.1 was less than 10 minutes, done safely in my garage..
2021 R-Dynamic P380 Convertible BRG
Millwheel

Post by Millwheel »

Did it many times before and never had a problem. 10min? I guess they upgraded the system for the 21 model. Takes the best part of 30m on the 20 using a fast 200mb/s drive. Still a dumb solution, should be an over the air update like my wife’s Volvo, which only loads the changes, not the whole mapping database, handles interrupted loading and doesn’t disable itself in the process.
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

Yes my 2018 also takes 30mins or so, i've updated quite a few times but only failed once when I got home before it finished and I think I pressed audio On or something or opened the door and it stopped :cry: , and it restarted from scratch :roll: , so had to drive around the block a few times :D
MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post