Latest dealer action

Anything F-Type related......
Millwheel

Post by Millwheel »

Car had its second service today at franchised main dealer and when I looked at the bill it included the line item “Wynns petrol treatment” at 12.99. Is this now official Jaguar policy, perhaps a response to E10, or just opportunism by dealer? In any event they should have asked me first. Wholly unnecessary if you use premium fuel and highly debatable for the standard fuel in my opinion. F-type manual says don’t use fuel additives.

On a separate topic the pollen filter wasn’t changed because they don’t have any! On back order ie stuck in a container somewhere in the South China Sea I expect. Result nice saving on bill which was welcome.

Hammers

Post by Hammers »

Wow, petrol treatment - I certainly wouldn't pay for it.
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Jaguar’s cautionary notes for the F-Type fuel system.....

“Do not use leaded fuels, fuels with lead substitutes, e.g. manganese-based, or fuel additives. The vehicle's emission control systems can be adversely affected, which may affect the vehicle's warranty coverage.”

“Fuel system cleaning agents should not be used, unless approved by the vehicle manufacturer. Inadequate cleaning agents may damage the fuel system.”

I wonder if “Wynns petrol treatment” is approved by Jag? I also think this is unnecessary if using premium fuel e.g. Shell V-Power, Tesco Momentum etc, and it would have been courteous if they'd asked you first.

Another year with the same pollen filter won’t do much harm and it’ll more than pay for the Wynns, unless of course the petrol treatment adversely affects the car’s emission control systems or causes damage to the fuel system! (I doubt that it will)
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Deleted User 3572

Post by Deleted User 3572 »

I had a main BMW dealer use oxicat treatment on a car I had years ago , but they asked prior , my mate George use why s gold 3 times a year on his xkr and Aston saying it is important to keep the injectors clean in these engines , he uses premium fuel and has never had a problem , never let your tank run down to far as gunk from bottom of tank can block the injectors
Malbec

Post by Malbec »

Beltupandholdon wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:55 am I had a main BMW dealer use oxicat treatment on a car I had years ago , but they asked prior , my mate George use why s gold 3 times a year on his xkr and Aston saying it is important to keep the injectors clean in these engines , he uses premium fuel and has never had a problem , never let your tank run down to far as gunk from bottom of tank can block the injectors
Why do some people think that there is some mechanism in cars where the fuel tank is lifted up and the contents poured into the injectors in order to avoid “ gunk at the bottom of the tank” ?
17MY V6S AWD Coupé Ammonite grey.
UAD wireless CarPlay.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Being completely not mechanical at all to the point I still haven't opened the bonnet!

I could kind of see the point of adding an additive to keep injectors and such like soot free but I won't be bothering as my car does lots of miles and long runs and only on premium fuels and its a modern engine/car so that's always a big no no on any service from me. Maybe in 20yrs time when it's a garage queen I might change my mind if a mechanic says otherwise.

The gunk in the bottom of tanks must be an old wives tell or something from before my time but perhaps that's worth another topic and "discussion".
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
scm

Post by scm »

simpleR wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:53 amThe gunk in the bottom of tanks must be an old wives tell or something from before my time but perhaps that's worth another topic and "discussion".
And where does the gunk come from - is it lurking in the petrol?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Cluck

Post by Cluck »

More importantly, where is the fuel pickup coming from if not from as low a point in the tank as possible in the first place....

Back when I had my Nissan 200, the aftermarket fuel pumps that were available all came with shorter 'socks' that dropped from the bottom of the pump to the bottom of the tank. You could either use the shorter sock and just remember to never let the fuel level go below 20% or so, or jerry rig the original sock onto it (which is what I did). It's at that point that you realise that the fuel is usually getting pulled up from the bottom of the tank, so if there's a load of crap down there, then it's coming up all the time.

Worth also remembering that the F-Type has a fuel filter, specifically designed to trap any potential 'crap' that might make it's way from the tank. I'd be surprised if any cars on sale didn't have one.
MY21 F-Type P450 R Dynamic in Portofino Blue, Black Exterior Pack, Performance Seats, Suede headlining (with Blur as support act)
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Last time I cleaned out a petrol tank was probably a Kawasaki Z1R 35 years ago. There was a couple of handfulls of grit/sand in there, which was quite a lot on a 4 gallon tank.

My guess is, filling stations with old tanks might have some crud floating around which gets pumped.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
Deleted User 3572

Post by Deleted User 3572 »

My buddy George in his xkr had let the petrol tank run down low before filling up , not long after the car went into RP mode engine sounded like it had marbles inside and was back firing also stank of petrol coming from exhaust , had to get car recovered to jaguar indy , who diagnosed a blocked injector due to dirt , muck , gunk what ever you want to call it from the bottom of the petrol tank . after soaking of said injector in a bucket of injection cleaner overnight the said injector was tested and sprayed good and was then fitted back into the engine , indy said muck, gunk, dirt had dissolved your car your money your choice . i have and will continue to use injector cleaner

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post