How to remove deployable spoiler

Anything F-Type related......
catsandtrees

Post by catsandtrees »

Hi, after having no luck on YouTube or via the search function on this forum, I wondered if anyone knows how to remove the rear deployable spoiler from a MY18?

Only reason I want to temporarily take it off is to apply a Union Jack to the under side of it. I know I can probably manage to stick it on whilst it is deployed but want to try and get a nice smooth finish.

Thanks in advance
MY18 Storm Grey V6 340 coupe R dynamic. Ivory seats & headlining Meridian sound system sports exhaust

scm

Post by scm »

I think member Powerhouse on here has changed his deployable for a fixed spoiler - meybe he has the information.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5758
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
ninetails

Post by ninetails »

catsandtrees wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:04 am Hi, after having no luck on YouTube or via the search function on this forum, I wondered if anyone knows how to remove the rear deployable spoiler from a MY18?

Only reason I want to temporarily take it off is to apply a Union Jack to the under side of it. I know I can probably manage to stick it on whilst it is deployed but want to try and get a nice smooth finish.

Thanks in advance
If you manually raise the spoiler you can see 2 plastic oval covers at each hinge/bracket that raises the spoiler. These plastic covers push on and pull off. When removed you can see 2 Torx bolts under each cover. If these 4 bolts are removed the spoiler can be removed. But BEWARE once the bolts are loosened the spoiler alignment will be lost (panel gaps and height). When bolted back up again the alignment has to be reset, which can be frustrating. Each bolt passes through an adjustable spacer washer (for height, to allow alignment with surrounding panels). When the bolt is pushed through the washer you can feel it is an interference fit which allows for height adjustment when washer is loose ie: is not "clamped" on both sides (screw bolt one way and the washer gets thicker and screw the other way and washer gets thinner). When height is correct place hand on top of spoiler and push down to keep spacer washer pushed against the hinge/bracket (this friction will stop the adjustable washer from turning which would alter the height) then "nip up the torx bolt. Once bolt "nipped up the washer height will not alter. Once all 4 bolts have been adjusted for height and the panel gaps (panel gaps adjusted by sliding left/right and forward/backward when bolts are just slightly nipped up) are correct finally tighten. Just for info the adjustable spacer washers are made in 2 halves, threaded together (you cannot separate the two halves completely by mistake), the washer is clipped onto the spoiler by a plastic clip built into the top half of the washer preventing the top half from turning when adjusting. The correct way to adjust the spoiler is with the tailgate open and the spoiler in the closed position as it easier to align the height with the surrounding panels, but you will need to remove the plastic drainage grills (2) under spoiler (can be seen when tailgate is opened) to gain access to the 4 torx bolts when spoiler is in the closed position.
I was not happy with the height of my spoiler ( looked to low at one end when closed) so i adjusted it by "trial and error" with just the spoiler manually raised (and ignition turned off after) to gain access to the 4 torx bolts. It was a frustrating process because you have to keep lowering the spoiler to see what effect the adjustment was making, but i did get it correct in the end. I did not want to remove the plastic drainage grills in case of damage to the grills or paintwork, it looked awkward to remove without damage. Also i bought 1 adjustable washer (about £7) from jaguar to understand how it works. Hope this helps and you can understand my explanation, not easy to explain.
340 coupe auto 2016MY, ammonite/corris grey, red performance heated seats, pano roof, 20" turbine wheels, switchable active exhaust, front & rear parking sensors, rear camera.
catsandtrees

Post by catsandtrees »

ninetails wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:59 pm
catsandtrees wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:04 am Hi, after having no luck on YouTube or via the search function on this forum, I wondered if anyone knows how to remove the rear deployable spoiler from a MY18?

Thanks in advance
If you manually raise the spoiler you can see 2 plastic oval covers at each hinge/bracket that raises the spoiler. These plastic covers push on and pull off. When removed you can see 2 Torx bolts under each cover. If these 4 bolts are removed the spoiler can be removed. But BEWARE once the bolts are loosened the spoiler alignment will be lost (panel gaps and height). When bolted back up again the alignment has to be reset, which can be frustrating. Each bolt passes through an adjustable spacer washer (for height, to allow alignment with surrounding panels). When the bolt is pushed through the washer you can feel it is an interference fit which allows for height adjustment when washer is loose ie: is not "clamped" on both sides (screw bolt one way and the washer gets thicker and screw the other way and washer gets thinner). When height is correct place hand on top of spoiler and push down to keep spacer washer pushed against the hinge/bracket (this friction will stop the adjustable washer from turning which would alter the height) then "nip up the torx bolt. Once bolt "nipped up the washer height will not alter. Once all 4 bolts have been adjusted for height and the panel gaps (panel gaps adjusted by sliding left/right and forward/backward when bolts are just slightly nipped up) are correct finally tighten. Just for info the adjustable spacer washers are made in 2 halves, threaded together (you cannot separate the two halves completely by mistake), the washer is clipped onto the spoiler by a plastic clip built into the top half of the washer preventing the top half from turning when adjusting. The correct way to adjust the spoiler is with the tailgate open and the spoiler in the closed position as it easier to align the height with the surrounding panels, but you will need to remove the plastic drainage grills (2) under spoiler (can be seen when tailgate is opened) to gain access to the 4 torx bolts when spoiler is in the closed position.
I was not happy with the height of my spoiler ( looked to low at one end when closed) so i adjusted it by "trial and error" with just the spoiler manually raised (and ignition turned off after) to gain access to the 4 torx bolts. It was a frustrating process because you have to keep lowering the spoiler to see what effect the adjustment was making, but i did get it correct in the end. I did not want to remove the plastic drainage grills in case of damage to the grills or paintwork, it looked awkward to remove without damage. Also i bought 1 adjustable washer (about £7) from jaguar to understand how it works. Hope this helps and you can understand my explanation, not easy to explain.
Thank you. Managed it ok with hubbys’ help.

254717FD-9AA0-4EF0-A7ED-3C08F8FE3312.jpeg

MY18 Storm Grey V6 340 coupe R dynamic. Ivory seats & headlining Meridian sound system sports exhaust
scharlton

Post by scharlton »

Hi Ninetails,
Thanks, mine was not quite right after taking off to add the same union flag, will re-adjust it over the winter.
2014 Coupe 5.0R RWD
White
Herts
ninetails

Post by ninetails »

@ catsandtrees
You're welcome. Looks a neat job. Did you manage to to do the job with spoiler just raised, or did you remove it.

@ scharlton
you're welcome. Hope the job goes ok.
340 coupe auto 2016MY, ammonite/corris grey, red performance heated seats, pano roof, 20" turbine wheels, switchable active exhaust, front & rear parking sensors, rear camera.
catsandtrees

Post by catsandtrees »

ninetails wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:01 pm @ catsandtrees
You're welcome. Looks a neat job. Did you manage to to do the job with spoiler just raised, or did you remove it.
Hi, removed it as I was able to give it a thorough clean and the result was not even 1 air bubble

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post