No CD player

Anything F-Type related......
P450Phil

Post by P450Phil »

Hi Ian - on the new head unit the artwork is a bit temperamental on all sources - seems to not work more than it does - but a minor annoyance really because everything else works. To clarify, it does not work on the iPod classic but the browsing is very quick (likewise on a 6th gen classic 160gb). Discontinued years ago but you can still get refurbed models etc. on ebay.
P450 RWD First Edition Santorini Black MY21

stevejag

Post by stevejag »

Be lucky if I have a cd slot under the arm rest , better look , but easier to just put them onto phone and do bluetooth , once you have the hang of it there is no going back !
Caldera red awd v8 fixed spoiler :mrgreen:
basher

Post by basher »

ianp wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:57 pm I use a 6th Generation iPod Classic or a 120gb USB. The usb takes longer to load and often (almost always) reverts to the first alpha-numeric track each time the car is started up, but displays the artwork correctly. The iPod is more reliable, carrying on from where it was last played, but not displaying artwork, unlike Phil above, which may be because his is a later generation F-Type, just the metadata. Overall I prefer the iPod. Never used the built-in capacity as I'm unsure whether I will get all my 4,600 odd tracks on.
I used to plug in my iPod classic 160GB, but the hard drive failed.

I transferred my iTunes library onto USB instead, and use that in the car. Like Ian, always reverts back to 1st track, but artwork displays OK.

I've now had iPod fixed (local Apple repairer installed a solid state drive). I have this plugged into my home amp so I can shuffle indoors too. 😁🕺
Rhodium silver F-Type 400 Sport AWD coupe.

PB Brakes big brake kit: drilled & slotted rotors, big yellow calipers. 😁
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

i use a 160gb classic Ipod too, it works very well in the car. My full collection of ripped (and otherwise obtained) music is on my PC, linked to Luxman amp via a powered USB cable and Arcam rDAC. Almost as good as vinyl.
Despite the speaker upgrades in the F-type, it still sounds....ordinary.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
ianp

Post by ianp »

In reply to Jaguandy, I fear we are moving away from F-Type related subjective opinion into more music compression areas which I would be delighted to speculate upon. However, I am intrigued by the speaker upgrade reference. In audio terms a speaker upgrade will only amplify a poor signal and never improve it, that can only be done by a source upgrade which ironically will not have a deleterious effect on a poor speaker but the opposite.

If the upgrade refers to choosing the more powerful 700 watt Meridian Surround System, which I am privileged to have in my modest F-Type, I can only speculate that the way the tracks are being ripped to his iPod may be the reason for the 'ordinary' sound. This is not my experience using my car's surround system, as I suspect that by using lossless compression I get as much data on the iPod as possible when I rip CD's in iTunes, sacrificing perhaps the number of tracks available.

However, when I play my iPod line-in or iTunes streamed through bluetooth to my not so modest full spectrum Stuart & Boothroyd Meridian-Audio Digital HiFi System running 24 bits @ 96 kHz the compressed audio does not sound as good as an original CD due to compression. Sorry if I've gone a bit off piste but would love to hear some comments in reply.
F-TYPE P300 2019MY R-Dynamic, Santorini, 20" Diamonds, Climate, Park & Meridian Surround.
Pre: XE P250 2017MY R-Dynamic, Caesium.
Audio: Meridian 808v5, 861v4, DSP7.2k L/R, DSP5k C, DSP33 R & DSW 1500 Sub.
peters3103

Post by peters3103 »

Ok, thanks for the advice gents. I’m not sure about the hard
drive. Everything I read about in the owners manual
my car doesn’t seem to be equipped with. Clearly it’s not “fully loaded”.
‘16 V6S Coupe Ultimate Black, 20” Cyclones, Pano roof
‘99 XKR Coupe - enhanced
‘61 E-Type FHC - early flat floor
‘63 MGB Roadster - my Dads from new