Alarm malfunction – No audible single beep when double locking

Anything F-Type related......
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

I’ve recently noticed that when I double lock the car, the audible single beep doesn’t always work? The hazard warning lamps flash twice (with a long second flash) which confirms the car is double locked. I’ve checked the instrument panel display ‘Vehicle Settings / Security Features’ to ensure that ‘Audible Lock Warning’ is ticked, which it is.

Done a few tests to see if the alarm is protecting the car which included.....

1. Leaving the driver’s door window open, double locking then waiting for just over 30 seconds before putting my arm in through the window space (it takes approximately 30 seconds after the alarm is armed, for the sensor to create a profile of the cabin and be fully armed).

2. Sitting inside the car whilst my missus double locked it from outside, waited for just over 30 seconds before starting to move my body.

The alarm was triggered in both these tests.

The further tests I did included......

3. Double locking then waiting for just over 30 seconds before shaking the car vigorously from outside and giving the tyre a few thumps with a rubber mallet.

4. Double locking then jacking the car up on the front UK near (passenger) side.

The last two tests (3 & 4) did not trigger the alarm.

I’ve checked the battery back-up security sounder (located in the rear right corner of the engine compartment and attached to a bracket on the bulkhead panel) by leaving the bonnet open then double locking the car. Two audible beep warnings are heard which is correct. The battery back-up sounder also incorporates a tilt sensor. The Central Junction Box (CJB) monitors the tilt sensor and can detect if the vehicle is being moved, towed or raised, and activate the alarm system.

If the security systems detect a fault with one of the security sensors, an error tone will sound from the alarm after the vehicle is unlocked and disarmed. I am sometimes hearing this error tone (2 audible beeps).

On the instrument panel display, I’ve checked ‘Vehicle Information’ and under ‘Last Alarm’ it says ‘Volumetric Sensor’. The Volumetric Sensor is located in the overhead console and it detects movement inside the cabin.

My thoughts are that the battery back-up security sounder (with tilt sensor) could be faulty and needs replacing? I doubt that a main battery reboot would cure this problem?

Has anyone experienced the same/similar issue with their car (no audible single beep when double locking) and if so, how did they rectify it?

TIA
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

TopCat

Post by TopCat »

Is the alarm in “Transport Mode”?
2017 F Type V6 coupe, storm grey, panoramic roof, 19" wheels
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

‘Transport Mode’ is only available for customers that have an active InControl Secure subscription.....I don’t require this.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
scm

Post by scm »

The only time I've noticed the absence of a beep is when I don't do the handle double press correctly. Opening and relocking the door has always fixed this for me. I think I've read that the battery on the sounder is good for 5 years, so maybe your faulty sounder battery theory is along the right lines.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

The battery back-up security sounder is connected to a permanent battery supply from the Central Junction Box (CJB). An integral, rechargeable battery powers the sounder if the battery power supply from the CJB is interrupted.

I don’t think the issue lies with the sounder’s rechargeable battery? As I mentioned earlier, I’ve checked the sounder by leaving the bonnet open then double locking the car. Two loud audible beep warnings are heard, which is correct.

As the sounder also incorporates a 'Tilt Sensor' (which didn't trigger the alarm when I tested it), I'm thinking this could be the problem?

Before changing it, I think I'll get a diagnostic done at my local Indie to see if anything shows up?
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
GARETH

Post by GARETH »

My alarm sounder needed replacing recently. It started misbehaving by going off at anti social hours, and Beeping when I unlocked it!

Diagnosis was water pooling in the rightnhand scuttle bay, submerging the battery backed sounder (silver thing under the bonnet pyrotechnic).

Might be worth checking the drains aren’t blocked.
2014 Jaguar F-Type 3.0 S Coupe in Salsa red
2021 Land Rover Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE
1968 Land Rover Series 2a 88”
1966 Land Rover Series 2a 109” ex army.
Quiet man

Post by Quiet man »

Hi mine some times does this i just unlock and then re do it and it seems to be ok. I just presume i was either to slow or to quick with the double press.
White V6S, red interior. Black 20inch alloy wheels.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

GARETH wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:15 pm My alarm sounder needed replacing recently. It started misbehaving by going off at anti social hours, and Beeping when I unlocked it!

Diagnosis was water pooling in the right hand scuttle bay, submerging the battery backed sounder (silver thing under the bonnet pyrotechnic).

Might be worth checking the drains aren’t blocked.

I remember reading your post about it.

The 2 audible beeps on unlocking are due to the security systems detecting a fault with one of the security sensors.

There must have been a fair amount of water pooling in that right-hand corner of your car to submerge the ‘battery back-up security sounder’. It’s attached up onto a bracket on the side of the bulkhead panel (TOPIx pic attached).

I’ve already checked the area for water or any debris (leaves etc) and all looks ok......will be keeping an eye on it now and again though! If I end up replacing the ‘sounder’ I’ll be able to see and access the drain/s better when I'm doing the job.

1.png

Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Deleted User 3572

Post by Deleted User 3572 »

Yes a job for an Indy or a good auto electrician, hope you get it fixed
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

👍

Once I have the diagnostic done, hopefully it will pinpoint the problem which could be the ‘battery back-up security sounder’ (incorporates Tilt Sensor). I can then order the part and fit it myself.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post