Fixed Engine Amber Light

Anything F-Type related......
giusemanuel

Post by giusemanuel »

Hi,
Yesterday while I was returning home on the highway the amber engine light came on. Light is fixed and no engine power loss.

Last summer the same thing happened but then the amber light went out by itself after few days.

Last friday I went to the dealership to change the headlights and the dealer connected official diagnosis to code new headlights. During process he tell me if i had modified engine software ecu because diagnosis reported a different software from original. However dealer deleted all previous error including this summer error.

I have not modified the engine control unit but I do not know if the previous owner has modified it, even if he told me no.

Today i called dealer and he tell me to try to start car and stop it for 5 times. In this way amber light it should disappear but I haven't tried yet.

I read online that it could be a lambda probe, is it possible? how could i do to verify?

My car is a 2.0L P300 with 25000 km and 3 year of life.

Some advice?

E098B726-E4A8-45E6-8B88-32BF55FE7E19.jpeg

MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Witaj,
On the bigger engined cars the most common reason to the check engine light is that one of the O2 sensors has gone. Don't know if it's as common on the 2.0 and the only way to find out is to connect a code reader so unless you have access to a code reader it's a dealer job.

If the car actually is remapped, as the dealer's ECU software version comment implies, that could of course also be the reason. If it's nothing obvious like an O2 sensor perhaps the dealer could install the stock 2.0 engine map to see if that helps.
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
Deleted User 3572

Post by Deleted User 3572 »

Good advice , codes are a must
SOLDES

Post by SOLDES »

I recently had the P0420 code thrown on my P300. Reset it, came back after a few weeks. Reset it again and came back after a few days. Dealer's conclusion was a bad catalyst converter. At 40k km's i was rather surprised that it went out that fast. They managed to get the part under warranty although, phew.
But it could be a bad O2 sensor too.
P300 First edition
Eiger grey / Mars red
ralphr1780

Post by ralphr1780 »

On this 2.0L engine the cam position sensors are prone to failure, which trigger this check engine light. Indeed you need to read the codes to ascertain.
If this is it, you will note that the overall car performance is reduced, almost limp mode. If the dealer is close by you can drive cautiously to there. But if he is far, better to have it towed.
Had this happening on my F-Pace at almost 3 years (40KKM), called the road assistance which checked the codes and confirmed both cam sensors were failing, car towed to the dealer and taken under guarantee.
Good luck.
ralph
V6S-AWD-Coupé-LHD-Caldera Red-MY20 aka Red Devil
SVR-Coupé-LHD-Santorini Black-MY20 aka Nyx
giusemanuel

Post by giusemanuel »

MajorTom wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:11 pm Witaj,
On the bigger engined cars the most common reason to the check engine light is that one of the O2 sensors has gone. Don't know if it's as common on the 2.0 and the only way to find out is to connect a code reader so unless you have access to a code reader it's a dealer job.

If the car actually is remapped, as the dealer's ECU software version comment implies, that could of course also be the reason. If it's nothing obvious like an O2 sensor perhaps the dealer could install the stock 2.0 engine map to see if that helps.
I don’have any obd2 code reader but i would buy one compatible with my 2019 car.
I found VXDIAG VCX SE on aliexpress but i don’t know if is work well and it cost around 270€.

If the car is remapped, shouldn't the o2 sensor be inhibited?
However, dealer told me that if I don't load the original software he can't write to the ECU. This is very strange.
SOLDES wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:42 am I recently had the P0420 code thrown on my P300. Reset it, came back after a few weeks. Reset it again and came back after a few days. Dealer's conclusion was a bad catalyst converter. At 40k km's i was rather surprised that it went out that fast. They managed to get the part under warranty although, phew.
But it could be a bad O2 sensor too.
i hope that my problem is not the same as your.
In this case i’ll remove cat and remap.
I can't imagine the cost of the catalyst
ralphr1780 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:46 am On this 2.0L engine the cam position sensors are prone to failure, which trigger this check engine light. Indeed you need to read the codes to ascertain.
If this is it, you will note that the overall car performance is reduced, almost limp mode. If the dealer is close by you can drive cautiously to there. But if he is far, better to have it towed.
Had this happening on my F-Pace at almost 3 years (40KKM), called the road assistance which checked the codes and confirmed both cam sensors were failing, car towed to the dealer and taken under guarantee.
Good luck.
I have not any change on car performance.
as you advised me, I need to read the error. Can you recommend me some obd2 reader for Jaguar?
Deleted User 3572

Icarsoft jlr v11 or newer
giusemanuel

Post by giusemanuel »

Beltupandholdon wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:50 pm Icarsoft jlr v11 or newer
iCarsoft LR V2.0 Diagnosegerät

This?
Deleted User 3572

Yes that's what I got but a newer version is out
giusemanuel

Post by giusemanuel »

today I noticed this strange sound of metal when I accelerate to low revs. I think it may be the exhaust valves. Is it possible that the problem is due to the exhaust valves?

Thanks

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post