Paint Bubble

Anything F-Type related......
Backofthenet

Post by Backofthenet »

Hi all,

have had the car SORN since December first. Just before then I had it Ceramic Coated.

The car is kept outside undercover - two covers - cover 1 the Jag OEM cover then Cover 2 an amazon 6 layer supposedly waterproof Job

I too the covers off today in the mild dry weather as i do every so often to let the air get to the car with doors open.

I have noticed what looks like a rust bubble on the front - obviously not as the car is Aluminium. Photo attached and area circled.

Anyone come across this before and would it be due to ceramic coating or damp under the cover?

Also does the paint warranty still cover this - car will be 5 years old in March.

InkedIMG_5011_LI.jpg

CJSJAG

Post by CJSJAG »

I would expect that at 5 years you do not have viable claim against JLR.
From your description of events it seems more likely you have a claim against the person who did the ceramic coating.
Good luck, but you'll likely end up paying for a paint job.
2021 R-Dynamic P380 Convertible BRG
Backofthenet

Post by Backofthenet »

The ceramic coating company is currently distancing themsleves - I know the jury is out against car covers but can't see why that would cause this.

Especially as I have had the cover on over winter for past 3 years with no issue.
CJSJAG

Post by CJSJAG »

Seems like it is not so uncommon to get damage if moisture is trapped against the paintwork.
Perhaps the covers fitted particularly tight against this one area.
Using 2 covers may have prevented the "waterproof" cover from "breathing"
There is some discussion of clearcoat clouding possibly going away if the car sees enough warm sunshine.
Your damage looks more severe.
2021 R-Dynamic P380 Convertible BRG
scm

Post by scm »

jaguar's Paint Warranty lasts 3 years, but their Corrosion Protection Warranty lasts 6 years.

https://www.jaguar.co.uk/owners/warrant ... ranty.html
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Backofthenet

Post by Backofthenet »

Don't think I will get away with claiming corrosion for the warranty as it's Aluminium panel and it looks like it's the clear coat that has bubbled.

The car was damp when I removed the cover and it has been on for a month.
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

How long between the ceramic coating being applied and the cover going on?

Is there anything on the inside of the cover there?
MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.
Backofthenet

Post by Backofthenet »

Cover went on 4 days after ceramic coating.

I've looked on the inside of the cover and it looks clean - it's one of those F-Type Jaguar OEM ones - they are supposed to be for outside but TBH they get sodden in the winter and never dry out - that's why I added a second waterproof cover over the top - the link to the type of cover is attached

I have asked the local scratch repairer I use and he is going to try and polish it out and if not said he would re-paint that isolated area jist like he would stone chip damage - fortunately it's on the section in front of the bonnet so a fairly isolated section so worst case if it all goes wrong with the re-painting i'd have to bite the bullet and get that panel resprayed in a body shop.
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

4 days should be enough time for the ceramic coat to have hardened, and if its on the front bumper section thats plastic.

Is there any chance it could have been resprayed ever, it is like an acrylic reaction.

If it just the coating that should polish off fine, if its deeper then the ceramic coat could have been breached or missed in that section, and something has reacted with the paint.

I have the same OEM cover, but only use in my garage as a dust cover occasionally when stored for the winter.
MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.
Backofthenet

Post by Backofthenet »

I've had the car 3.5 years now so has not been sprayed over in that time (that I know of anyway - unless it was damaged whilst being serviced at the main dealers etc - and they did a quick repair job without telling - which I really doubt)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post