Steering wheel thefts

Anything F-Type related......
CPBLondon

Post by CPBLondon »

Local police warning about a spike in thefts of steering wheels from BMW and Audi in local area.
Out of interest does anyone know where F Types may be on the scale of ease of theft and also the second hand market which drives up these thefts. How do they detach the steering wheel or do they lever or break it off?
Just another thing for tea leaves to target !! Anyone had theirs stolen?
F Type S 380
Polaris White
Red interior/pan roof
Black pack
drive the dream !

Deleted User 3572

Post by Deleted User 3572 »

BMW and Audi cars are always breaking down and with a shortage of parts etc makes sense that loads get stole , 2 timing chains on the engine and use a DSG gearbox nothing but trouble and that's from a top gearbox expert in Scotland , made of chocolate he told me never buy :lol:
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Never heard of a steering wheel theft from an F Tyoe, but then again not looked into it

In terms of stealing can see why. Airbags are valuable and the steering wheels ever more complicated bundles of electronics. Neither traceable and ready market for both.

If I exclude disconnecting battery and waiting for the discharge (safety which thieves won’t be concerned with) I can remove my wheel in under 2 mins
Push 3 pins to release airbag, 2 wiring clips to disconnect and a single bolt to the column. Wheel lifts off
I know due to multiple removals to get an SVR wheel fitted, retrofit electronics and add heating

Solution would possibly be to fit a security bolt to the wheel not a standard hex, but need to be aware of like for like in tensile strength, etc. you’d still lose the airbag though…
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Greenmanftype

Post by Greenmanftype »

Steering wheel lock?
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Greenmanftype wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:40 am Steering wheel lock?
Unless it’s a design that covers the whole wheel or in an unmovable manner stays over the airbag it won’t make much difference
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
bob_mcn

Post by bob_mcn »

20210225_191613.jpg

This would slow them down.
2021MY P300 1st edition Coupe, Eiger grey, with Climate, Privacy, and Tracker,
Previous: 2019MY XE 300 Sport {petrol) with lots of addons.
Previous: 2017MY XE 240 Portfolio (petrol) with a selection of addons.
Deleted User 3572

Post by Deleted User 3572 »

but its Ugly
scm

Post by scm »

Beltupandholdon wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:58 pm but its Ugly
Not as ugly as a car with a missing steering wheel, though! :lol:
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Oh god, talk about scaremongering lol
Firesand Coupe R
Vossen HF-3 Satin Bronze
SVR Rear Spoiler
H&R springs
Oem Project 7 grill
VAP tune, upper and lower pulleys,
200 cell cats, induction kit.
Supersprint cat back valved back box
Loud, very loud lol
650-660 bhp
Snuf

Post by Snuf »

My user manual says don’t fit clamps to the steering wheel, because it may cause damage when the steering wheel automatically adjusts

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post