Convertible F type but no garage

Anything F-Type related......
Paul J

Post by Paul J »

Dear all.

Still looking in the classifieds for my first F-Type. Definitely want a convertible but I do not have a garage and don't have space within the grounds of my property to build one.

Three questions:

1) Anyone have a convertible and keep it outside? How do they fair over the winter months (roof wise) and do you use a cover? I have heard very mixed views about winter car covers.

2) It won't be a daily driver, is it correct that the battery drains easily and this can result in the soft top not opening - is this a worry?.... although I can always hook up a trickle charger I guess.

3) I have a viewing on my Jag XK 4.2 this weekend so hoping to get a sale and I think about purchasing my first F-type!! Below is my favourite so far - a bit over my budget but I might be able to stretch to up to 5+ owners - would this many owners put anyone off?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... on=at_cars

Thanks so much in advance!
2017 Convertible British Design Edition V6S AWD. UltraBlue.

Link to car:- viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6130 :mrgreen:

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Hi Paul,
Mine lives outside with no cover - I wouldn’t cover it if I were you.
I sweep any tree debris off it and especially from the rear rubber seal and re-protect the hood once a year with Autoglym convertible soft top clean and protect.
Mines MY14 and I bought a new battery for it a year ago when I had a low battery warning - but only fitted it this morning as it had been sat in my dining room awaiting a second warning that never came! Charged right up and sat on the conditioner overnight - bit of a fiddle to fit, but was in no rush - windows re-set and all good.
Although I am between jobs (retired?) for now I do tend to drive it every 2-3 days and if it’s not been used all week I have a 30 mile loop I like to drive - all in the name of good maintenance 😉 😎
If that one is the spec you desire you’ll not find a similar one for a while - heated screen and wheel are good to have.
Carbon ceramic brakes are a bit marmite and red interior a lot marmite 😬
Find an F you like and go for it - each sunny day like today you’re missing out! 😉
…and then post some photos of your new cat.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
AJ13

Post by AJ13 »

As above, treat roof well with quality product and it will be fine.
IRR V8S. (Maybe going soon).
Macan turbo ..wifes.
Sunny Scotland based.
scm

Post by scm »

Lunar wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:24 pm... I have a 30 mile loop I like to drive - all in the name of good maintenance 😉 😎
Must be a Jag thing - I have a 30 mile loop i like to drive, too! :lol:
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

:D
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Quiet man

Post by Quiet man »

Looks well and a V8 to boot, I managed to squeeze mine in the garage but plenty people drive convertibles and leave them outside without issues. Mine isn't a daily so I have it on a battery conditioner and haven't had any issues with the battery.
White V6S, red interior. Black 20inch alloy wheels.
Paul J

Post by Paul J »

Thanks all! I plan to give it a good run every week to keep it fresh!
2017 Convertible British Design Edition V6S AWD. UltraBlue.

Link to car:- viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6130 :mrgreen:
Deleted User 3572

Post by Deleted User 3572 »

Hi Paul , nice car , mine is kept outside but I have a half cover for it works great , it gives access to the boot , I do not use a ctek as I have in the past found them to be very unreliable I much prefer every 2 weeks pooping the boot and taking a reading of the battery if it has fallen below 12.6 volts I then charge it up using a ring 6amp smart charger I have , I t unlike ctek will show you the current voltage on it also has a back light when fully charged it switches itself off , yes go for a spray like autoglym for roof waterproofing, the question no one has answered is yes a low battery can lead to roof not going up and down , good luck
jono_h

Post by jono_h »

Mine sits outside all year round - and usually looks a state due to the moss coming off of the house roof.

I cleaned the roof this year with the Autoglym kit which worked Ok. The roof tends to look a little green on the back edge. at times over the winter months, but it soon washes off.

Mine gets stuck onto a Ctek if I know I’m not going to use it for a few days - I try to keep the battery in good condition as I’m tight & don’t want to buy a new one!
BobHarrington

Post by BobHarrington »

Mine is five years old and a daily driver and stays outside all year round, with no probs.
I get my hood professionally cleaned every autumn, and two coats of waterproofing applied.
Every month on a dry sunny day, I leave the hood halfway open, and throughly clean and dry the compartment where it stows. I also check the two drain holes either side are clear.
For the paintwork, I had a ceramic coating applied, and every two weeks I have a professional maintenance wash.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post