Buying a second key...

Anything F-Type related......
Scenes

Post by Scenes »

Hey guys,

I purchased my F-Type back in December, thanks to much help and support from many of you here.

I ADORE the car, I'm stoked every time I have to head out in it, I simply can't wait for some better weather in the UK, it's a real handful in the wet.

When I decided on the car, I didn't realise it only came with one key. I went through with the purchase though, after so much deliberating I wasn't going to let me put this off.

However, I just called Jaguar and they've quoted me a staggering £738... I was astounded.

My question is, does anyone here have any experience using a third party? I don't mind paying a few hundred pounds, but over £700 feels disgusting.

Thanks in advance!

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

The older key coding system is on cars 00001 to 08869 (last five digits of VIN) and allows non Jaguar dealers to programme keys.
This is done via the OBD port.

Cars 08870 and onwards, in 2015 JLR changed the system so that the OBD is taken out of the equation for key programming.
The new system has a separate module that will only talk to the two original keys so you can't clone/create any new ones.
If you lose one or require a replacement then you will get stung for two new keys and a new module which is probably why you have a quote for £738.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Scenes

Post by Scenes »

Thanks simpleR.

You're right, the parts team has just explained I need an entirely new module, unfortunately.

Now I have to decide if I want to risk living with one key...
CJSJAG

Post by CJSJAG »

If you have keyless entry, I would separate the key from your keychain and keep it in your wallet.
Then you have no reason to ever take the key out (apart from giving it the JLR service guys).
That should reduce the risk of losing the key.
OTOH, if you do not have keyless entry, then I would get the new keys.
2021 R-Dynamic P380 Convertible BRG
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

As a guide, if I put my car into used.jaguar.co.uk as part of a trade in, the used price they will offer me drops by £600 if I say I only have 1 key.

Up to you what you do. My opinion would be:
If your keeping it and/or have the InControl Remote feature (so you can open the car from your phone) and/or your good at not losing things or keeping the car anyway then perhaps live with one key, you have so far.

If your going to sell it/trade it in the future then you'll get the majority of the investment back as a higher resale value so you could do it now.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
stevejag

Post by stevejag »

I had two key fobs when I bought mine from Inchcape , keep fobs in protective wallets just in case of scanning .
Have we had pictures of your F yet ?
Caldera red awd v8 fixed spoiler :mrgreen:
Scenes

Post by Scenes »

simpleR wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:27 pm As a guide, if I put my car into used.jaguar.co.uk as part of a trade in, the used price they will offer me drops by £600 if I say I only have 1 key.

Up to you what you do. My opinion would be:
If your keeping it and/or have the InControl Remote feature (so you can open the car from your phone) and/or your good at not losing things or keeping the car anyway then perhaps live with one key, you have so far.

If your going to sell it/trade it in the future then you'll get the majority of the investment back as a higher resale value so you could do it now.
Thanks mate.

I’ve heard people talking about in control, a feature I don’t have right now. Maybe this is a more practical option to look at. I’ll do some research on having it installed. Thanks again.
Scenes

Post by Scenes »

stevejag wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:43 pm I had two key fobs when I bought mine from Inchcape , keep fobs in protective wallets just in case of scanning .
Have we had pictures of your F yet ?
Hey bud!

You haven’t seen any pictures yet, I’ve been waiting to get it detailed first, but I’ll give you a sneak peak. I’ve been trawling through detailers too, trying to find a good one in the Yorkshire area. Perhaps another post for some recommendations.

Here is a sneak peak…

AC895DA5-0033-4B27-B0D2-BF822EE0ED01.jpeg

T50 YOX

Post by T50 YOX »

Welcome to the forum jmm detailing in Barnsley are very good a young lad called josh had mine done there a couple of pics

ABD5F80B-FCA0-4CC0-AE41-64C5420E0ED4.jpeg

82413579-F944-4BF0-8BD6-9807DD7DDA7A.jpeg

1DCB9C5D-9067-4ABA-9A61-DB0596EBB45E.jpeg

IRR 3.0 coupe 2015 black pack, design pack , 20” carbon blades,fixed rear spoiler, carbon centre console engine coverunder bonnet trims , flat bottom royal steering wheel red stitching v8 back box rear defuser lots of smiles 😀😀😀
AJ13

Post by AJ13 »

T50 YOX - IRR can look so much different under various lighting condition. Car looks stunning. I'm biased but think IRR is one of the better colours (when clean)
IRR V8S. (Maybe going soon).
Macan turbo ..wifes.
Sunny Scotland based.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post