Sat Nav update needed

Anything F-Type related......
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

My sat nav has gone weird, thinks it is somewhere else. It is a 2016 model so I believe the update can be done using a computer and USB. However as I don’t work any more my computer is way to old for this and I don’t want to buy a new one. I noticed that you can buy JLR SD cards on eBay. Has anyone done this? I am concerned there may be a problem activating the new card in the card. If anyone has any experience of this I would really appreciate any advice you can give.

scm

Post by scm »

If the satnav has lost its location it could be the antenna needs replacing - I think a few on here have suffered a similar occurrence.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Jamesrust777

Post by Jamesrust777 »

I had the exact issue. I zoomed into where the GPS thinks the car is, which is at coordinates 0,0 (in the ocean near Africa). I believe it’s the GPS antenna. I’ve waited a long time to get it fixed as I don’t use the maps anyway.
I decided to get it sorted out in January but there was a big delay in parts being available. It’s due to go into the garage tomorrow to get the antenna replaced.

Will provide an update on here and let you knee if it fixes the issue.
2018MY F-Type R
Corris/Ammonite Grey
Carbon Ceramic Brakes
Black Badged
Black SVR bonnet vents
Ceramic Coated with Titan coatings
Pilot Sport 4S tyres
mono-uk

Post by mono-uk »

sounds like antenna is the issue as others have said

the nav upgrade appears to be £95 from ebay or £169 for 'official' seems like the last update was 2020 (and I guess wont get any newer than that) I've had a fair few local roads built and changed recently, i guess I'll never see an update
Current: Black MY16 V8R AWD F-Type Convertible, Blade wheels, Exterior Black Pack
Previous: Black MY15 V6S F-Type Convertible, Blade wheels
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Having up to date maps won’t help if it is unable to to receive satellite info. As others have said it is most likely an antenna issue or connection problem. I’ve stopped using the car Sat nav anyway and use either Waze or Googlemaps, just easier.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Thanks for the advice guys. The sat nav is still showing the local area, just not where I happen to be. For example when I am on the M3 it shows me on a different local road. It may be a connection problem rather than a new antenna. Thanks for the offer of the update James.
Regards
Jamesrust777

Post by Jamesrust777 »

I think I’ve come across someone else that had your issue and maybe then it eventually did what mine did and lost the location completely but I can’t remember.

Nothing to update on mine just yet. I dropped it at an independent Jaguar garage today and they called me a few hours after dropping it off to say the antenna they ordered is the wrong one. So is going to be looked at next week now
:(
2018MY F-Type R
Corris/Ammonite Grey
Carbon Ceramic Brakes
Black Badged
Black SVR bonnet vents
Pilot Sport 4S tyres
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Thanks James. I will wait until next week to hear how yours turns out. Not planning any trips at the moment.
Regards
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

James did you get your antenna issue sorted? I am thinking of booking mine in soon.
Jamesrust777

Post by Jamesrust777 »

Forgot to update on here... no! Unfortunately. They replaced the antenna (on the top of the car) but it still didn’t work. I didn’t want to spend anymore money on it for them to investigate as it’s not something I use anyway. I just use my phone for the sat nav anyway.

It might still work for you. I may have a different issue. I opted to try the replacement of the antenna hoping it would be a cheap(ish) fix.

Good luck
2018MY F-Type R
Corris/Ammonite Grey
Carbon Ceramic Brakes
Black Badged
Black SVR bonnet vents
Pilot Sport 4S tyres

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post