F Type Dead Battery, Boot Not Opening.

Anything F-Type related......
Zandy1

Post by Zandy1 »

Hi everyone.

So here's the script, I've recently got my F Type Serviced and MOT, now it came up with low battery so I gave it a good run. Not went out in it for a day now the battery is completely dead, I've tried jumping it to no avail.

I have also read on the forums about this being a common problem, to try and disconnect the battery, only thing is I cannot get into my boot to get to the battery, everything is completely dead in it. I had to use the metal key to open the door.

So does anyone know how to open the boot manually?

scm

Post by scm »

Once you've opened the door, pop the bonnet. On the right side of the engine bay you'll find the jump start terminals, positive has a red cover. Your handbook should show you the details. Connect a spare battery (or spare car!) or full fat charger (not a CTEK, that requires at least some charge in the battery to give power) to those terminals and that should give you enough power to open the boot.

Once the boot is open, put a bit of old carpet or similat across the latch to prevent it inadvertently shutting again!

I suspect the cause was whoever did the service didn't correctly disconnect from the OBD port which prevent some modules form shutting dwon, hence the battery drain. The clue to this is that the light in the hazard switch shoudl go out after abut 10 minutes from locking the car - it it's still on, you'll likely have the drain. Was the service done at a main dealer? If so, they should have disconnected properly. If at an independent, it's likely their equipment doesn't close the session properly.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

I had exactly the same problem when I got my car back from a service at the main dealer. I followed the advice given by scm and got the car started. I bought a rechargeable jump starter off Amazon and connected it to the terminals under the bonnet. It started the car immediately and I then gave it a long run.
Give your dealer some grief !!!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post