Replacement centre wheel caps

Anything F-Type related......
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

I recently removed my caps from the outside, using a very small flat head screwdriver covered with some tape to avoid damage. The OEM caps sit rather tight and there's no way to get something as thick and soft as a credit card in. A knife would probably work too. You have to find the right angle between the cap and the wheel and then just hit the screwdriver. As soon as it gets just a little bit in between the cap and the wheel the cap easily pops out.
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...

RPSN

Post by RPSN »

alistair64 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:47 pm One other thing... I've just tried to prise one off with my nails but to no avail.
Please don't tell me you have to remove the damn wheels just to get the centre caps off (without damaging the wheel of course)? :cry:

If I need to remove/reposition the wheel centre caps (without removing the wheels) I've used this..... viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4688

I also have a set of plastic/nylon 'Hilka' trim removal tools which will do the job..... viewtopic.php?p=52400#p52400

They don’t cause any damage to the wheel and centre cap.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Casperrito

Post by Casperrito »

Since I knew mine were going in the bin I just used a drill with a 3/4mm bit. Just carefully drill a hole and when the bit makes its way through the plastic just stopped drilling and pulled the cap off with the drill. Easy. Obviously this wont be a good idea if you wanted to reuse the caps :lol:
Loaded MY16 F-Type R AWD Coupe 8-)

viewtopic.php?p=58031#p58031
alistair64

Post by alistair64 »

Casperrito wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:19 pm Since I knew mine were going in the bin I just used a drill with a 3/4mm bit. Just carefully drill a hole and when the bit makes its way through the plastic just stopped drilling and pulled the cap off with the drill. Easy. Obviously this wont be a good idea if you wanted to reuse the caps :lol:
That's actually a simple but very good idea!
Mine will also be going in the bin, so really I should have thought of that too :)

In the end I ordered something similar to RPSN's Hilka trim removal set. Very cheap and useful for a variety of jobs...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233703267840 ... 2749.l2649
Deep Sapphire Blue 2014 Convertible S
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

alistair64 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:47 pm In the end I ordered something similar to RPSN's Hilka trim removal set. Very cheap and useful for a variety of jobs...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233703267840 ... 2749.l2649

Some of the very cheap trim removal tool kits can be brittle and easily snap under pressure. Hopefully the one you've ordered will be good quality.

The 'Hilka Pro-Craft Trim & Upholstery 6 Piece Set' that I bought from Screwfix last year (now £14.99) is a good sturdy kit which I've used on a variety of jobs without any issues.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Millwheel

Post by Millwheel »

Very simple way to remove the centre caps is using a fairly strong fishing line. With a little backwards and forwards movement it will slip behind the centre cap and then then gentle movement will move the cap out enough to pull it clear without the chance of wheel damage.
alistair64

Post by alistair64 »

Ok, this job is also complete, so another one to tick off the list.
In the end I opted to use just a threaded bradel type tool used for starting a thread in wood or plastic.
Sorry, don't know the correct name for it, but I'm sure you know what I mean.
It went straight into the centre of the wheel cap without the need to drill.
Once in, it was easy to pull out the cap with hardly any force, so I'd definitely recommend it as the easiest way if you aren't going to re-use the caps.

In the end I took a chance on a blue set from Ebay for just a tenner delivered, given the price of genuine ones (more than this for just one!)
They actually look really good, the growler being quite close to the original one.
They were too loose as warned previously, but a couple of wraps of insulating tape around the inside turned them into a good, solid fit.
So far, well happy with them and even if they do fade with time, it's only a tenner after all.
You'd have to look really hard at them to realise they're not genuine.
Deep Sapphire Blue 2014 Convertible S

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post