Is it possible to leave car in neutral for an extended period?

Anything F-Type related......
alistair64

Post by alistair64 »

There's a good reason for asking :)
Basically, I want to leave my V6 S auto in neutral with the parking brake off in my garage (with a brick behind the rear wheels to stop it moving).
The reason is so that when I want to wash the car or do anything to it, I can push it out by hand, then push it back in afterwards.
This is to save starting it up, just to move 5 metres into the drive.
However, it seems to automatically put the gearbox into 'Park' mode after a while, even though I have it in neutral when I switch off the engine.
This means an unnecessary start just to select neutral, which isn't necessarily good for an engine.
Is there any way around this?
Thanks.
Deep Sapphire Blue 2014 Convertible S

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

I can thoroughly recommend driving it. (Which reminds me I still haven't washed mine since July).

Jokes aside, if you check the online manual there is a handle under the bonnet to disengage park (used for recovery).
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Tel

Post by Tel »

alistair64 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:14 pm There's a good reason for asking :)
Basically, I want to leave my V6 S auto in neutral with the parking brake off in my garage (with a brick behind the rear wheels to stop it moving).
The reason is so that when I want to wash the car or do anything to it, I can push it out by hand, then push it back in afterwards.
This is to save starting it up, just to move 5 metres into the drive.
However, it seems to automatically put the gearbox into 'Park' mode after a while, even though I have it in neutral when I switch off the engine.
This means an unnecessary start just to select neutral, which isn't necessarily good for an engine.
Is there any way around this?
Thanks.
Yes.

Open up the centre console. Under the trim on the LH side is the lever for deselecting P or Park.
From memory you pull this up (make sure the brake is on) and it disengages the spigot from the flywheel ring gear.

Don't quote me on that as it's purely form my memory. i'll check the workshop manual in the coming days.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Tjp

Post by Tjp »

Have a look in the owners manual. Page 196 from memory… was looking at it today funnily enough.
scm

Post by scm »

Tjp wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:57 pm Have a look in the owners manual. Page 196 from memory… was looking at it today funnily enough.
Page 241 in my MY18 handbook. ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
alistair64

Post by alistair64 »

Thanks all.
Incidentally, as I'm new on here and haven't yet left a signature, it's a 2014 'S' model.
My Owner's Handbook has 206 pages, so any pointers as to what page this is on would be greatly appreciated.
Doesn't seem to be on page 196 or 241.
scm

Post by scm »

Find "Transmission Park Release" under the "Vehicle Recovery" section. It's in my index under "Transmission - emergency park release". My handbook has 296 pages, though. Good luck!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Tel

Post by Tel »

Do this if you want to roll the car around by hand.

You could enter also the transmission service mode, but I've not tried this so not sure how long it lasts.
I have tried the below and it works a treat.

Screenshot 2022-05-19 at 04.31.21.png

2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
alistair64

Post by alistair64 »

Cheers scm and Tel.
Looks straightforward enough.
The hardest part will probably be removing that rectangular cover, but I can now see it's held in by 2 large clips.
Just hope there's a small cut-away to enable you to get a small flat-blade screwdriver in there to prise it out.
Anyway, I've ordered this set which could be useful for other jobs and cheap enough.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233703267840 ... 2749.l2649
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

From experience in my XF this is a very weak setup. The lever operates a cable that breaks off if not careful. I know as it was already broken on my near new XF and dealer had to repair it.
Just be careful how you do it and I’d minimise the times used.
Never done it on the F type but I assume a similar system
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post