Is it possible to leave car in neutral for an extended period?

Anything F-Type related......
alistair64

Post by alistair64 »

cj10jeeper wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:26 am
alistair64 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:11 pm
cj10jeeper wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:51 am Looks like your test has shown how it can be done and clearly not something to do on a regular basis. Personally I'd just start the engine and drive it out, noting that cars almost always have start stop which activates dozens of time on even a short drive, so it's not going to kill it to start it weekly and drive out. If you plan to garage for long periods drop the wheels onto dolly and push it around of put a car cover on so you don't need to keep washing it..
Yeah, think I'll be looking to invest in a cover at some stage.
The thing about the stop/start is that it's ok with a warm engine, but if I'm pushing the car out of the garage, the engine will be cold.
Not good as condensation does not get a chance to evaporate and gases produced from a cold engine will contain water vapour which can, over time, cause corrosion within an engine.
I don't have that same concern on a modern engine. To me this is a carry over to the old days. Far less fuel dumped into the system than old carbs. stainless exhausts, etc.
If you combine with GusA's suggestion of driving to dry out brakes, etc. then you have a warm engine, then it makes far more sense than disengaging the drive train, pushing out, washing and pushing a wet car back in the garage. Of course it's your call and yuo have a workable and tested solution now
You're probably right as I would usually do what you suggest to dry out the car.
It's just that yesterday, when I washed the car, I knew I wouldn't be going out in her for various reasons, so it's best to have the option.
However, I take your point and feel I should always drive the car after washing, so the 'disengage park' lever should on;ly be used on rare occasions.
Deep Sapphire Blue 2014 Convertible S

Spooks

Post by Spooks »

I am going to get a car blow dryer for this very reason, the roads are often too wet and dirty for a after wash drive. I have been looking at some on you tube.
2020 F Type, Ultimate Black (Santorini) convertible. R Dynamic 3.0 RWD. Extended Winsor Ebony Leather pack. Spooky private plate. 20in wheels.
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

I removed the EPR cover today just to get familiar with it and can confirm that it's a pig to get off. In my case both metal clips came off and fell into the holes. Just hope they won't cause any rattles. It's much better without the clips - sits firmly but can be removed by hand without any prying so I'd recommend to ditch the clips if you If you get the trim piece off with them still on.

Odd that they made the trim sit so damn hard. That must have caused some complications in recovery situations. In my first XF the trim piece that needed to be removed didn't sit this hard and in my second XF the release mechanism was under the bonnet.

Anyways, this is the way the trim piece looks underneath, without the metal clips, in case it would help anyone.

284428490_1380895029046919_8989485082191578275_n.jpg

MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post