Is it possible to leave car in neutral for an extended period?

Anything F-Type related......
Elementad

Post by Elementad »

Be careful putting weight on those aluminium panels when pushing. Anywhere other that the door frame and it could end in disaster. 😬
F Type R AWD coupe
(Previous car) F Type V6S convertible

alistair64

Post by alistair64 »

cj10jeeper wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:34 am From experience in my XF this is a very weak setup. The lever operates a cable that breaks off if not careful. I know as it was already broken on my near new XF and dealer had to repair it.
Just be careful how you do it and I’d minimise the times used.
Never done it on the F type but I assume a similar system
Good point - will check this weekend and report back.
If so, I might have to limit the number of times I do this, because it would be a nightmare if the cable snapped :(
Deep Sapphire Blue 2014 Convertible S
alistair64

Post by alistair64 »

Elementad wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:26 pm Be careful putting weight on those aluminium panels when pushing. Anywhere other that the door frame and it could end in disaster. 😬
Thanks for the advice... will be very careful!
alistair64

Post by alistair64 »

Ok, so all has gone to plan.
Agree that the rectangular cover is quite hard to remove, but what I did was use a small flat-head screwdriver with the end covered in masking tape so as not to damage the cover indent (I'm a bit OCD like that).
Prise the cover up at the back, then get your fingers under it and pull upwards very hard.
Once the back is free, work your fingers forward underneath the cover and pull backwards and upwards very hard.
I found that using the screwdriver at the front didn't provide enough force, so it's just brute force I'm afraid.
The cover came away from the two clips in one piece with no damage. The only thing that went wrong is that the front metal clip on the lug came off and fell into the compartment, but I'm not overly bothered about that as it will mean the cover will be easier to remove next time.
Pull the red strap upwards carefully (after turning the plastic screw 90 degrees anti-clockwise) through 90 degrees...job done.
The cable is quite thin and reminded me of a bicycle cable, so I agree that this is not something that should be done very often.
Having said that, the force required to lift the latch is fairly minimal.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Looks like your test has shown how it can be done and clearly not something to do on a regular basis. Personally I'd just start the engine and drive it out, noting that cars almost always have start stop which activates dozens of time on even a short drive, so it's not going to kill it to start it weekly and drive out. If you plan to garage for long periods drop the wheels onto dolly and push it around of put a car cover on so you don't need to keep washing it..
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
alistair64

Post by alistair64 »

cj10jeeper wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:51 am Looks like your test has shown how it can be done and clearly not something to do on a regular basis. Personally I'd just start the engine and drive it out, noting that cars almost always have start stop which activates dozens of time on even a short drive, so it's not going to kill it to start it weekly and drive out. If you plan to garage for long periods drop the wheels onto dolly and push it around of put a car cover on so you don't need to keep washing it..
Yeah, think I'll be looking to invest in a cover at some stage.
The thing about the stop/start is that it's ok with a warm engine, but if I'm pushing the car out of the garage, the engine will be cold.
Not good as condensation does not get a chance to evaporate and gases produced from a cold engine will contain water vapour which can, over time, cause corrosion within an engine.
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

This may not be very helpful but I always drive my car after washing it to ensure all the brake components dry out fully before going in the garage, gets everything warmed up too.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

alistair64 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:11 pm
cj10jeeper wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:51 am Looks like your test has shown how it can be done and clearly not something to do on a regular basis. Personally I'd just start the engine and drive it out, noting that cars almost always have start stop which activates dozens of time on even a short drive, so it's not going to kill it to start it weekly and drive out. If you plan to garage for long periods drop the wheels onto dolly and push it around of put a car cover on so you don't need to keep washing it..
Yeah, think I'll be looking to invest in a cover at some stage.
The thing about the stop/start is that it's ok with a warm engine, but if I'm pushing the car out of the garage, the engine will be cold.
Not good as condensation does not get a chance to evaporate and gases produced from a cold engine will contain water vapour which can, over time, cause corrosion within an engine.
I don't have that same concern on a modern engine. To me this is a carry over to the old days. Far less fuel dumped into the system than old carbs. stainless exhausts, etc.
If you combine with GusA's suggestion of driving to dry out brakes, etc. then you have a warm engine, then it makes far more sense than disengaging the drive train, pushing out, washing and pushing a wet car back in the garage. Of course it's your call and yuo have a workable and tested solution now
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Tel

Post by Tel »

You need to invest in some cheap trim removal tools - Screwdrivers with tape is the way I was bought up, but believe me, for £8 quid or so for the right tools off the bay, it's a worthy investment with these modern plasticky cars..

I removed the clips on my cover as I didn't want the agro of fannying around in the event of needing to operate the lever when out and about.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
alistair64

Post by alistair64 »

Tel wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 4:45 pm You need to invest in some cheap trim removal tools - Screwdrivers with tape is the way I was bought up, but believe me, for £8 quid or so for the right tools off the bay, it's a worthy investment with these modern plasticky cars.
Yes, a set is already on its way to tackle other jobs such as the sticking centre vents.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post