'Michelin Pilot Sport 5' tyres fitted last week

Anything F-Type related......
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

I’ve recently had ‘Michelin Pilot Sport 5’ tyres fitted on the fronts (245/40 ZR19 98Y). They have superseded the ‘Michelin Pilot Sport 4’ tyres which have been on my car for the past 3 years or so.

The PS5 has some improvements over the PS4 including grip, braking performance, aquaplaning resistance, tread life, and a very smart 'award winning' design on the sidewall. These links show a review and test of the PS5....

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/Wha ... port-5.htm

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/202 ... e-Test.htm

I would think that the PS4S will also be superseded by a PS5S sometime in the future. I read somewhere that when the PS4 first came out, the PS4S was launched approx 12 months later. According to the Michelin website, the PS5 was first available in Europe in 50 dimensions from 17 to 21 inches as of 01/01/2022, and worldwide as of 01/03/2022....https://news.michelin.co.uk/articles/la ... -primacy-4

When the time comes and if the Michelin PS5S tyres are available, I’ll certainly be considering them as a replacement for the excellent PS4S tyres that I currently have on the rears.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.jpg

5.JPG

6.JPG

Last edited by RPSN on Wed May 18, 2022 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

JamesOC

Post by JamesOC »

Thanks for the post and the photos. Would be good to hear how they are after a couple of months use.

The Michelins do look good on the car, the sidewalls somehow look better than other brands.

I’m due to replace my 20” MPS4Ss soon, but the 5s aren’t available in the rears yet. Struggling to find a complete set of 4Ss at one dealer so am considering alternatives at the moment - like the Potenza sports.
MY20 R AWD Coupe, Portofino Blue
Previous: 2011 XK
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

👍

So far so good.

With regards to the Michelin PS5 sidewall design, here’s what the links I provided earlier have to say.....

“One last thing to consider - Michelin has absolutely won any sidewall design competition, as every new Pilot Sport 5 has the beautiful velvet touch sidewall that has been appearing on the newer Michelin tyres. Currently no rival manufacturer offers anything this sexy.”

“extremely attractive sidewall design.”

“the summer tyre has been designed to enhance vehicles thanks to a deep black velvet appearance. As a result, it was the 2021 winner of the 'Contemporary Good Design Award' organized by Red Dot Award.”

If you’re struggling to find a complete set of 20 inch Michelin PS4S’s, you can purchase them online which includes fitting at a garage near you. They're available here....

Fronts (255/35 ZR20) https://www.atseuromaster.co.uk/consumer

Rears (295/30 ZR20) https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/ and https://www.blackcircles.com/
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
JamesOC

Post by JamesOC »

Thank you 🙏
MY20 R AWD Coupe, Portofino Blue
Previous: 2011 XK
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Very interesting, do keep us posted.

Will be very interesting to see how they compare to the PS4S, knowing that they're supposed to be a bit more comfort focused. Although I often drive very spiritedly I wouldn't mind sacrificing a smidge of handling for further improved NVH if that's the difference between them. I was recently also considering the PS5 but went for a full set of PS4S since the PS5 doesn't seem to come in 20" 295 yet.

Btw those pictures remind me that we have far too few silver F-Types. Looking great!
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
scharlton

Post by scharlton »

They do look good.

I learnt something new about tyres on my Mallory Park track day, a friend with much more track experience than me said we can check the side walls for correct pressure. Curious I said how, he explained that manufacturers put markings on the side wall to denote the correct scrub limit as tyres roll during hard cornering. On the PS4's it was the Michelin man in a box, see picture.

It works by showing if the tyre abrasion does not reach the box, tyres are too high a pressure, if it completely scrubs off the box, too low, the ideal is if it half wears down the box.

New for me, maybe for some of you too. From my picture, looks like I got it about right without changing road pressures.

20220518_162259.jpg

2014 Coupe 5.0R RWD
White
Herts
scm

Post by scm »

Interesting information! Thanks for posting.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

MajorTom wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:05 pm Very interesting, do keep us posted.

Will be very interesting to see how they compare to the PS4S, knowing that they're supposed to be a bit more comfort focused. Although I often drive very spiritedly I wouldn't mind sacrificing a smidge of handling for further improved NVH if that's the difference between them. I was recently also considering the PS5 but went for a full set of PS4S since the PS5 doesn't seem to come in 20" 295 yet.

Btw those pictures remind me that we have far too few silver F-Types. Looking great!
I had PS4 tyres on the fronts and replaced them with the new PS5.

I haven’t noticed any difference with the PS5 tyres so far, apart from the very attractive sidewall design on them. The PS4S’s I have on the rears look 'bland' compared to them!

I do like the reviews and Michelin’s info on the PS5 which show the improvements over the PS4 that I mentioned earlier.

As you know, you won’t go wrong with the full set of PS4S’s that you’ve recently put on your car but when they eventually need replacing, I think you’ll sway towards the PS5S (if they’re available).

Appreciate your comments on my pics 👍

scharlton wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:37 pm They do look good.

I learnt something new about tyres on my Mallory Park track day, a friend with much more track experience than me said we can check the side walls for correct pressure. Curious I said how, he explained that manufacturers put markings on the side wall to denote the correct scrub limit as tyres roll during hard cornering. On the PS4's it was the Michelin man in a box, see picture.

It works by showing if the tyre abrasion does not reach the box, tyres are too high a pressure, if it completely scrubs off the box, too low, the ideal is if it half wears down the box.

New for me, maybe for some of you too. From my picture, looks like I got it about right without changing road pressures.
Cheers 👍

The Michelin man in a box is also on the sidewall of the PS5 tyres (1st pic). I wasn’t aware that its purpose is to denote the correct scrub limit due to tyre roll when hard cornering. I do religiously check my tyre pressures when cold to ensure they're at 37 psi but I'll check the Michelin man periodically.

The PS5 features the ‘Wear2check' indicator that allows you to easily check and monitor the wear of the tyre. One of the indicators is clearly shown in the 2nd pic and I’ve attached a screenshot which gives information on it and other improved features of the PS5.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.png

Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

I’ve had the Michelin PS5 tyres fitted on the front of my car for just over 4 months now so here’s my verdict:

I thoroughly recommend them!

These are the improvements I’ve noticed compared to the Michelin PS4 tyres that were previously fitted on the front....

They don’t ‘tram-line’, causing the steering wheel to jerk when braking hard from high speed on a certain road I use.

They haven’t produced the ‘Low Speed Manoeuvring Front Tyre Skip / Jump phenomenon’ (in wet or dry weather), as explained here....viewtopic.php?p=61899#p61899

Their award winning full-ring velvet sidewalls look much better.

They are not showing any signs of perishing (cracking) on the tyre shoulder.

They feature the ‘Wear2check' indicator that allows you to easily check and monitor the wear of the tyre.

Michelin states that longevity on the PS5 has increased by 15% compared to the PS4.

These PS5 improvements also bode well for the Michelin PS5S tyre which could become available (see my first post in this topic).

This is the Michelin ‘Pilot Sport 5 tyre presentation’ video.....
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Interesting feedback.
I set my tyres to the 2.5bar recommendation on the data plate.
You might find, if you drop your pressures to the 36psi equivalent, the scrub line lowers slightly to pass through the middle of the indicator.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post