Start/stop button

Anything F-Type related......
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

alistair64 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:40 pm
SESH wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:26 pm Hi,
Just looked up my records and it was bought from Britcar in Ipswich.
Price on the invoice is £18.98, plus shipping of £3.20, plus VAT of £3.80 totalling £25.98
Just checked on same website with part number T2R42910 and price is now £60 odd plus VAT!!!
I bought it 15 June 2020.
Wow haven't prices increased!!
Interestingly Jaguar Classic have it listed for £18.98 plus VAT but not available online. https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.co ... witch.html

Mike

Wow, you did very well then!
I'm confused by the Jaguar Classic listing of £18.98 + VAT, because they're quoting this price, but then saying you have to contact your dealer to purchase.
Well, if I contact my local dealer, they're going to be quoting me £60 odd quid, so where does this £18.98 come from?

It’s because the F-Type part is not applicable to a Jaguar Classic Vehicle.....this is stated in the link! Simply contact your main dealer quoting the relevant part number (VIN specific) from the excellent JLR Classic website https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.co ... nd/jaguar/

I’ve done this on numerous occasions and the price is as shown. However, £18.98 (£22.78 inc VAT) does sound very reasonably priced so will be interesting to find out if this is correct?

On the site, ‘Console Switches and Cigar-Lighter’ (manual and automatic) parts are shown here https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.co ... nd/jaguar/

Note: The ignition switch (from VIN K47320) is priced at £65.23 inc VAT https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.co ... 2663236630

Update: Spoke with my Jaguar main dealer this morning (26/05/2022) and the link that SESH provided to the JLR Classsic website (part number T2R42910 / £22.78 inc VAT) is priced at £74.68 inc VAT with them.

The price on the ignition switch (from VIN K47320) link I provided is the same on the JLR Classic website as the main dealer (£65.23 inc VAT).

I have contacted JLR Classic to inform them.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

alistair64

Post by alistair64 »

I did the same - popped into Sturgess Jaguar Leicester today.
Whatever happened to the old-style parts counter in dealers? I was expecting to walk up to a counter and be greeted by someone with the modern day version of the old microfiche system.
Instead, I spoke to a lady behind a desk who had to go and get someone from the office behind.
Anyway, I gave the guy 2 part numbers to look up T2R42909 & T2R42910 (one black, the other bronze) and mentioned that I had been referred from the JLR Classic web-site, quoting a price of £22.78 inc. Vat.
Firstly, he had only 'sort of' heard of the web-site and secondly, he came back with a figure of £70 odd!
Yes, clearly an error on the web-site as you have pointed out.
Therefore, it seems we don't have a choice, but I think for the time being I'm going to refit my original and park the idea of replacement until a later date.
I just can't justify £60 or £70 for a slightly worn button I'm afraid :o
Deep Sapphire Blue 2014 Convertible S
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Was worth a try quoting the JLR Classic price, which hasn’t been updated by the looks of things. Nothing ventured nothing gained!

If the slightly worn ignition button plays on you and you don’t want to fork out the £60 - £70, what about something similar to this.... viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5881

Not quite sure if you’ll still be able to see it pulsing at 72 bpm though, same as the resting heart rate of a live Jaguar!
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
alistair64

Post by alistair64 »

RPSN wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:15 pm Was worth a try quoting the JLR Classic price, which hasn’t been updated by the looks of things. Nothing ventured nothing gained!

If the slightly worn ignition button plays on you and you don’t want to fork out the £60 - £70, what about something similar to this.... viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5881

Not quite sure if you’ll still be able to see it pulsing at 72 bpm though, same as the resting heart rate of a live Jaguar!
I quite like that and tried to find one to order.
However, the Ebay link in the thread doesn't work anymore and I can't see one on Aliexpress either. :(
I'm not having a great deal of luck with this start/stop button replacement idea ;)

I wonder if this would fit, as the electrical connector looks the same as my MY14's, i.e. 4 pins in a line with the cut-out at one end.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001 ... 5849%21sea
alistair64

Post by alistair64 »

Actually, I think I'm going to take a punt on it.
The dimensions are also correct and they're on Ebay with UK delivery for around £20.
Surely if the connector is the same, the wiring wouldn't be different, potentially causing damage to the electrical system....would it?
All Jags must be the same wiring if the connector is identical??
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

I wouldn’t bother with that if I were you.....it doesn’t show fitment for the F-Type anyway.

Perhaps you can find a decent start/stop sticker to cover the slightly worn button you have. No worries about the electrics then.

Alternatively, live off baked beans for a week or two and put the money you save towards a new switch from the main dealer lol
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
alistair64

Post by alistair64 »

RPSN wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:47 am I wouldn’t bother with that if I were you.....it doesn’t show fitment for the F-Type anyway.

Perhaps you can find a decent start/stop sticker to cover the slightly worn button you have. No worries about the electrics then.

Alternatively, live off baked beans for a week or two and put the money you save towards a new switch from the main dealer lol
Lol, yeah could always do that I guess.
I'm somewhat 'careful' with my money as it's rubbed off from my dad... not tight, just 'careful' :D
alistair64

Post by alistair64 »

Ok, just wanted to provide an update (and recommendation).
In the end, I ordered this...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144460768670 ... 2749.l2649

Yes, it's Chinese and not OEM, but I have to say I'm very impressed.
It's not even listed for an F-Type, so probably wouldn't come up in any searches.
However, I took a gamble on it because the connector is correct for my MY2014.
Fitted this morning and works a treat (yes, I know, but for how long??)

Here are the reasons to give it a go :-

- less than a third of the cost of an original
- seems well made for a Chinese item (nice positive switch action like the original)
- fits perfectly and doesn't move around
- looks good with the silver alloy surround
- the lettering size, spacing and font is spot on
- I can't see how anyone could mistake it as not genuine
- the pulsing heart beat shows, like the original

Having said all that, I have kept the original switch, along with a plastic removal tool, in the inside storage compartment... just in case! :D
RONWOOD

Post by RONWOOD »

I got one of these switches today and it fitted nicely. Unfortunately it only worked once before failing.
alistair64

Post by alistair64 »

RONWOOD wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:41 pm I got one of these switches today and it fitted nicely. Unfortunately it only worked once before failing.
Ohhh, mine is still ok after a week. :shock:
What happened - did it even fail to turn on the ignition?
I hope you had the original with you and you didn't get stuck anywhere.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post