Start/stop button

Anything F-Type related......
alistair64

Post by alistair64 »

Another post from a newbie - just hope you're not getting sick of me just yet :(
I have the usual wear on the bronze stop/start button, so would like to replace.
The whole switch with surround seems to cost around £50 from a dealer, but Ebay list several covers in silver/red/blue with the surround for less than a tenner, which is all that is needed.
However, I don't think these are any good for our cars, are they?
I've removed the switch tonight and the black surround seems to be integrated with half of the switch assembly, so the surround on Ebay will be no good.
Also, are these switch covers able to be fitted? Has anyone tried this approach and can the actual button itself be removed from the switch assembly?
I'm thinking that I'd like to use a silver button and forget the silver surround, using the standard black bezel (which would be a cheap way of rectifying the problem).
Deep Sapphire Blue 2014 Convertible S

Tel

Post by Tel »

I think you've answered your own question...top-tip, don't fit cheap, chonky Chinese crap. Try Rimmer or a non stealer option.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
SESH

Post by SESH »

Had the same problem with my stop start button. Started peeling and a gooey mess.
Got a new replacement from Britcar, think it was about £25.00. Easy to fit.
Mike
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Highland Green
1966 Corvette Stingray Big Block
1973 E Type Convertible
1963 Triumph TR4
Ex F Type V6S MY2016
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

You might want to think about longer term if you plan to remove all the bronze bits. To me they look dated. Did it on mine and used the later start stop, dynamic slider switch and SVR alloy paddles. All retro comparable.
As above never go cheap - do it right and once only
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
alistair64

Post by alistair64 »

SESH wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:50 am Had the same problem with my stop start button. Started peeling and a gooey mess.
Mike
Mike, would you be so kind as to send me the link, because I'm only seeing switches on their site for around the £50 or £60 mark, i.e. similar to a main dealer?
alistair64

Post by alistair64 »

cj10jeeper wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:49 pm You might want to think about longer term if you plan to remove all the bronze bits. To me they look dated. Did it on mine and used the later start stop, dynamic slider switch and SVR alloy paddles. All retro comparable.
As above never go cheap - do it right and once only
Completely agree that they do look dated.
It's strange that this colour was chosen, because it doesn't look particularly good compared to the rest of the interior.
Mine's a 2014, so would like the alloy look too if possible and would eventually like to replace the paddles and dynamic switch.
You don't happen to have the part number I would need for the switch would you, or what do I ask for at the dealer's parts counter?
An alloy stop/start switch for an F Type?
Thanks.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Jaguar F Type Mode Control Switch search on Google or EBay should get what you need
Mine’s a MY 14 and was a straight swap to the later 2015-2019 black and chrome version
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
SESH

Post by SESH »

alistair64 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:01 pm
SESH wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:50 am Had the same problem with my stop start button. Started peeling and a gooey mess.
Mike
Mike, would you be so kind as to send me the link, because I'm only seeing switches on their site for around the £50 or £60 mark, i.e. similar to a main dealer?
Hi,
Just looked up my records and it was bought from Britcar in Ipswich.
Price on the invoice is £18.98, plus shipping of £3.20, plus VAT of £3.80 totalling £25.98
Just checked on same website with part number T2R42910 and price is now £60 odd plus VAT!!!
I bought it 15 June 2020.
Wow haven't prices increased!!
Interestingly Jaguar Classic have it listed for £18.98 plus VAT but not available online. https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.co ... witch.html

Mike
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Highland Green
1966 Corvette Stingray Big Block
1973 E Type Convertible
1963 Triumph TR4
Ex F Type V6S MY2016
scm

Post by scm »

Britcar went through a period of administration and have been recently reborn. Maybe they were underselling too much in the current climate!

Relevant thread on the US forum .... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-ty ... ost2526999
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
alistair64

Post by alistair64 »

SESH wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:26 pm
alistair64 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:01 pm
Mike
Hi,
Just looked up my records and it was bought from Britcar in Ipswich.
Price on the invoice is £18.98, plus shipping of £3.20, plus VAT of £3.80 totalling £25.98
Just checked on same website with part number T2R42910 and price is now £60 odd plus VAT!!!
I bought it 15 June 2020.
Wow haven't prices increased!!
Interestingly Jaguar Classic have it listed for £18.98 plus VAT but not available online. https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.co ... witch.html

Mike
Wow, you did very well then!
I'm confused by the Jaguar Classic listing of £18.98 + VAT, because they're quoting this price, but then saying you have to contact your dealer to purchase.
Well, if I contact my local dealer, they're going to be quoting me £60 odd quid, so where does this £18.98 come from?

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post