Have 2023 BTO processing but searching for 2018/2019 pre opf. Is it worth it?

Anything F-Type related......
Living_tribunal

Post by Living_tribunal »

I somehow landed a processing BTO for a 2023. After test driving the 2018, I was left speechless however. The combination of the exhaust and overall dynamics felt unreal. Alternatively, it would be amazing to own one of the last non-electric f types before they switch in 2025.

I’m now actively looking for 2018s and pre opf 2019s. I have a couple of subjective questions however that I’d love insight for from existing owners.

It seemed like in the 2022 I test drove, you didn’t really hear the exhaust until a certain rpm/mph. I’ve read about valves that don’t open until a threshold. I take it getting these removed or altered is out of the question for warranty?

Have any of y’all noticed any material pacifying to the exhaust? Is there anything I can do to the 2023 within warranty to make it sound somewhat close to the old svr?

I love both bodies equally so keeping that constant for now. Hate to be petty but it has kind of come down to exhaust and general feel which the 2018 has me longing for more.

Any general guidance, insights, or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

All MY18 should be without GPF (EU6) however there might be exceptions for non UK markets. That's model year not reg year.

At around car 59207 the cars changed to be EU6d with Gasoline particulate filters (GPF). This seems to tie in when the model number rolled over to MY19 (remembering model years and reg plates are completely different).

There will be exceptions depending on the order the cars came off the line. The car number being the last 5 digits of the VIN.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Hello and welcome! 🙂

Firstly, it’s a nice problem to have let’s be honest.

I have a 2014 V6 and love the theatre of the sound far more than the fact that a more modern fartmobile hatch can outrun it.

I attended the Jaguar Fen End experience day and whilst I loved the more alert feel of the new model I really noticed and missed the exhaust sound - even more so with my convertible.

I doubt there’s much can be legally / warranty done with the new model as the GPF can’t be bypassed and the down-tuning of the base V8 engine is no doubt accompanied by an eye on reduced emissions and better economy.

This is why I am still hanging on to mine after 5 years.

BUT there are plenty of other considerations in the equation - for instance if it’s to be a weekend car I’d go for the older model, but if you’re likely to put daily miles on it a new model makes more sense - and you can spec it exactly as you want it, whereas a used model will always require some compromise to the ideal.

Good luck with your decision and let us know which way you go - with photos 😎
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
scm

Post by scm »

Living_tribunal wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:55 pm It seemed like in the 2022 I test drove, you didn’t really hear the exhaust until a certain rpm/mph. I’ve read about valves that don’t open until a threshold. I take it getting these removed or altered is out of the question for warranty?
Valve openings depend on MY to some extent as different years seem to behave slightly differently. Generally, in non-dynamic mode the valves won't open until the revs get up around 4k. Switch to dynamic and they'll (probably) open from tickover (mine do). In non-dynamic with the exhaust switch active they may open from tickover (some do, mine don't) or around 1500 (mine do).

I've also read that newer models do get louder as they get run in, so if yours was a very new low milage it wouldn't have benefited from that effect yet.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

There's a number of threads on the US forum on this topic. This is one of them

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-ty ... 15-245774/

The later cars (VIN 58713+ are definitely quieter, due to both the OPF filters and the timing of the valves opening. I can only verify that pulling fuse 15 on a MY20 V8 does make a difference, but still not as loud as the earlier cars. This doesn't throw any errors or make the car go into limp mode ( the 4 pot may go into limp mode according to some posts though).

It appears from the US forum posts, removing the fuse on some of the later models might be a simple improvement also.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
Living_tribunal

simpleR wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:36 pm All MY18 should be without GPF (EU6) however there might be exceptions for non UK markets. That's model year not reg year.

At around car 59207 the cars changed to be EU6d with Gasoline particulate filters (GPF). This seems to tie in when the model number rolled over to MY19 (remembering model years and reg plates are completely different).

There will be exceptions depending on the order the cars came off the line. The car number being the last 5 digits of the VIN.
That’s very helpful, will start looking at the car number and vin. I’m getting too nervous to order an FY19 and up for this very reason.

Kind of banking on if it’s a 2018, it should be ok. I believe the worst I’ll have to do is undo a software upgrade.

Just wish there were more 2018s on the dang market. Everything has red interior which I can’t stand.
Living_tribunal

Lunar wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:42 pm Hello and welcome! 🙂

Firstly, it’s a nice problem to have let’s be honest.

I have a 2014 V6 and love the theatre of the sound far more than the fact that a more modern fartmobile hatch can outrun it.

I attended the Jaguar Fen End experience day and whilst I loved the more alert feel of the new model I really noticed and missed the exhaust sound - even more so with my convertible.

I doubt there’s much can be legally / warranty done with the new model as the GPF can’t be bypassed and the down-tuning of the base V8 engine is no doubt accompanied by an eye on reduced emissions and better economy.

This is why I am still hanging on to mine after 5 years.

BUT there are plenty of other considerations in the equation - for instance if it’s to be a weekend car I’d go for the older model, but if you’re likely to put daily miles on it a new model makes more sense - and you can spec it exactly as you want it, whereas a used model will always require some compromise to the ideal.

Good luck with your decision and let us know which way you go - with photos 😎
It will be my daily but I work remotely and may put max 5-7k miles on it a year.

Here’s my BTO. Hoping to find a brg/brown interior 2018 before then (I know, I know), would probably buy a san Torino black or grey with black interior immediately if I could find one with decent mileage.

51761CB0-0B7D-4185-A356-D4310E11A891.jpeg

D5C0EC73-E465-41AD-A642-2784F60F1E87.png

5E99B0A5-B3C4-457C-803B-1968BCB3FB40.png

Living_tribunal

mickjaguar wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:10 pm There's a number of threads on the US forum on this topic. This is one of them

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-ty ... 15-245774/

The later cars (VIN 58713+ are definitely quieter, due to both the OPF filters and the timing of the valves opening. I can only verify that pulling fuse 15 on a MY20 V8 does make a difference, but still not as loud as the earlier cars. This doesn't throw any errors or make the car go into limp mode ( the 4 pot may go into limp mode according to some posts though).

It appears from the US forum posts, removing the fuse on some of the later models might be a simple improvement also.
Incredibly helpful and exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for this. Will continue the hunt. Been worried about how to verify a potential 2019 pre opf as there’s a very strong chance I’ll have to get it delivered. This eases my concerns quite a bit.

I can’t stop watching videos of the 2017/2018. Just sounds so good.
Elementad

Post by Elementad »

Living_tribunal wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:33 am
simpleR wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:36 pm All MY18 should be without GPF (EU6) however there might be exceptions for non UK markets. That's model year not reg year.

That’s very helpful, will start looking at the car number and vin. I’m getting too nervous to order an FY19 and up for this very reason.

Kind of banking on if it’s a 2018, it should be ok. I believe the worst I’ll have to do is undo a software upgrade.

Just wish there were more 2018s on the dang market. Everything has red interior which I can’t stand.
FYR you won’t be able to undo any software update.
Good luck in your search.
F Type R AWD coupe
(Previous car) F Type V6S convertible
Tel

Post by Tel »

If you want real theatre then you should look for 2013-2017 plate years...Unless AWD is a must.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩