F-Type retirement date?

Anything F-Type related......
P450Phil

Post by P450Phil »

Not something we are looking forward to but does anyone know any specifics about when the last F-Types will roll out of the factory?

Already thinking about getting one of the last ones and hopefully there will be some special editions before JLR go full milk float.
P450 RWD First Edition Santorini Black MY21

Mr.Tea

Post by Mr.Tea »

I could be wrong but I remember reading somewhere that Jaguar is set to go all electric by 2025.

At the minute on Jaguars site, if you go to order a new F-Type you can only build-to-order the 2L and 5L versions. My plan was already to hold onto mine past 2025 but it'll be interesting to see what happens with the resale price of the cars if Jaguar do actually go fully electric.
P450Phil

Post by P450Phil »

Yep the v6 was dropped in the UK with the MkII, and 2025 is the marketing date for all-electric new cars, so clearly that's the plan. But surely the specific timing will depend on the production line, the order book, latest legislation, amongst other things.
The v8 is bullet-proof and the last of them will outlive the milk floats of the same year, so long as there is someone to service them and somewhere to fill up...
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

My guess is there'll be fewer Jaguar dealers (a bit like Aston etc) aimed at the new upmarket EV segment. Our cars will probably be served by the Land Rover dealer network, given the commonality of parts and technology.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

P450Phil wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:36 pm The v8 is bullet-proof and the last of them will outlive the milk floats of the same year, so long as there is someone to service them and somewhere to fill up...
Exactly….used prices will hold up once new petrol engine cars stop coming off the production line, no question. But to me there will later be a tipping point when they drop like a stone, and perhaps not so far away as originally thought. Imagine a time when you have to travel half an hour or more to find a petrol station and queue up vs a fast charge at home….when parts prices double or triple in price as manufacturers don’t have the volume to price them low, …when there are no local mechanics because younger people turn their back on an onvious dead end career, …when a growing army of woke neighbours complain about your noisy smelly car every day,….when your tyres are let down, or worse, on a regular basis by moral ‘activitists’. I don’t like any of this, but as night follows day it is coming.

(sorry...off topic :( )
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Currently.... the UK will ban new petrol and diesel only cars from 2030. By 2035 all new cars must be zero emissions at the tailpipe.

So I'm presuming there is five years of hybrid sales in there plus the UK committed to 2050 to become net zero on transport so the date could move back especially with rising energy costs and lack of charging facilities in general.

Petrol stations will need to switch to fast charging stations but petrol cars won't disappear in mass until well after 2050 and I would see petrol remaining at forecourts in general until 2075 and maybe the end of century. At which point I won't be here anymore. And I don't see someone letting your tyres down or worse LOL, I think most will say wow nice car (still). We don't know how it will go so not worrying about it.

Back to topic, the F-Type should be retired in 2025 with no doubt lots of special models and limited editions as MY24 or MY25 models I guess, as no point continuing with development. That should be similar across the range as Jaguar committed to all electric by 2025.

Jaguar media have only launched generic marketing material as "reimagine Jaguar" and "luxury upmarket" etc

jlrreimagine_102.jpg

There are news articles about various model changes but nothing on the F-Type other than magazines teasing about 1300+ bhp 1000km range dreams......
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Mr.Tea

Post by Mr.Tea »

I'll be one of the last to adopt a totally electric car to be honest. I don't think anything can replace the driving sensation of an ICE. It'll be a sad day when I have no other option than retiring the F-Type or any other similar ICE car.

It'll be interesting to see what prices do honestly. Once the conventionally fueled variants have stopped production are they going to hold price or skyrocket as it may well be the last chance to own a "real" sports car. There's the alternative that they could also tank because conventional fuels are coming to an end.

Regardless it's a sad time.
scm

Post by scm »

i think synthetic fuels offer a more realistic sustainable future than electric which will require a massive upgrade to the grid to support all the overnight charging. Not to mention the poor sods who can't have off road parking chargers. And EVs still pollute with tyre shredding, etc. - it's not just about the tailpipe. And, of course, there's the issue of how the lithium and cobalt is extracted.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
P450Phil

Post by P450Phil »

simpleR wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:34 am Currently.... the UK will ban new petrol and diesel only cars from 2030. By 2035 all new cars must be zero emissions at the tailpipe.

So I'm presuming there is five years of hybrid sales in there plus the UK committed to 2050 to become net zero on transport so the date could move back especially with rising energy costs and lack of charging facilities in general.

Petrol stations will need to switch to fast charging stations but petrol cars won't disappear in mass until well after 2050 and I would see petrol remaining at forecourts in general until 2075 and maybe the end of century. At which point I won't be here anymore. And I don't see someone letting your tyres down or worse LOL, I think most will say wow nice car (still). We don't know how it will go so not worrying about it.

Back to topic, the F-Type should be retired in 2025 with no doubt lots of special models and limited editions as MY24 or MY25 models I guess, as no point continuing with development. That should be similar across the range as Jaguar committed to all electric by 2025.

Jaguar media have only launched generic marketing material as "reimagine Jaguar" and "luxury upmarket" etc

jlrreimagine_102.jpg

There are news articles about various model changes but nothing on the F-Type other than magazines teasing about 1300+ bhp 1000km range dreams......
Delayed reply here, been away with work, but I agree with you. In many sectors of transport the milk floats will become dominant in the next decade, especially in big cities. But the technology and infrastructure is decades away from making this universal for all sectors... I'm straying off topic now so I'll claw myself back: I'll be in the market for one of those special / limited last edition models, if / when they arrive, they will be a great investment and I don't want to miss out!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post