Battery maintaining/conditioning

Anything F-Type related......
alistair64

Post by alistair64 »

Hi All,
I've been reading several threads on how to connect a battery conditioner, like a CTek or Optimate, so I just want to make sure I'm doing this right.
It seems that the main AGM battery is in the boot on the left-hand side under a cover.
Various connections and the bus bar are located next to it, under a smaller cover.
There's also supposed to be a smaller stop/start battery somewhere, but I won't need to concern myself with that for general trickle charging.
Apparently there are also connections under the bonnet on the right-hand side for jump starting in case the battery is completely flat and you can't get into the boot.

I'm getting a low charge warning on the instrument panel as the car's been sat for a couple of weeks. I've been turning the ignition on and off quite a few times to familiarise myself with the controls, as well as various other small jobs on the inside of the car, so it doesn't really surprise me.
All I want to do is connect my Optimate 3 SP battery maintainer (ok for AGM batteries), so am I right in saying that I just need to connect it directly onto the battery, not the bus bar?
This means that the battery monitoring circuit is bypassed?
Also, should I disconnect the battery negative lead before connecting the Optimate, or can I leave the leads connected?
Thanks for clarifying.
Deep Sapphire Blue 2014 Convertible S

mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

You can connect the charger to the terminals under the bonnet. They are for both charging and jump starting.

Connecting a fly lead in the boot is usually done to make it easier to keep the car on a trickle charger. This link contains pictures of how this should be connected to the busbar on a 2014.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4459&hilit=Battery+charg

It's not recommended to connect directly to the battery. There's no need to disconnect.

I have a fly lead connected in the boot of my F type, but use the under bonnet terminals for our XE (being the easiest from how the cars are parked).
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
Tom Sawyer

Post by Tom Sawyer »

I recently fitted a fly lead for a CTEK and used the above link as a guide, I was able to fit the live as shown, but had to earth in a different position, but all works well so not an issue
V8S
Lunar Grey
Viezu Upper Pulley & Remap
596bhp
587lbs/ft / 796Nm
davidd

Post by davidd »

I wired a lead into the boot and connect the ctek if I’m leaving it for more than a couple of days..
alistair64

Post by alistair64 »

Thanks for the replies - it's all clear to me now.
It seems I must have got confused somewhere along the line, because IT IS the bus bar that you connect the positive to in order to keep the battery monitoring system happy.
No need to disconnect the battery either.
I just need to see what adaptor leads are available for my Optimate, as crocodile clip ends are not ideal if I'm wanting to connect up often.
Don't really want to have to fork out on a CTek 5.0, as the Optimate has done me proud for many years.
Tom Sawyer

Post by Tom Sawyer »

alistair64 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:54 pm Thanks for the replies - it's all clear to me now.
It seems I must have got confused somewhere along the line, because IT IS the bus bar that you connect the positive to in order to keep the battery monitoring system happy.
No need to disconnect the battery either.
I just need to see what adaptor leads are available for my Optimate, as crocodile clip ends are not ideal if I'm wanting to connect up often.
Don't really want to have to fork out on a CTek 5.0, as the Optimate has done me proud for many years.
My Optimate kept the TVR(s) alive for over 10 years, but I sold it for £30 to a fellow owner and bought the CTEK online for about £55, eyelet leads are £10 - £15 on Amazon
V8S
Lunar Grey
Viezu Upper Pulley & Remap
596bhp
587lbs/ft / 796Nm
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

simple just forget battery conditioner and drive the car, much more fun
alistair64

Post by alistair64 »

gasgas wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:57 pm simple just forget battery conditioner and drive the car, much more fun
That's definitely the plan once I sort out all of the teething problems in owning a new car :)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post