Interior trim come loose (see picture)

Anything F-Type related......
Paul J

Post by Paul J »

Dear all.

Got into the car today and noticed that the trim directly under the centre air vents (that raise up and down) has completely come loose on the right hand side.

Very odd!

Assuming it is just an issue with adhesive giving up, as feeling the back of the trim, it appears that this section is glued on during the factory process - or, given this trim is under the air vent, could it have been heated up and come loose when the hot air vent is blowing?

Thinking about a fix - DIY job??? Any ideas and help appreciated.

trim.jpeg

2017 Convertible British Design Edition V6S AWD. UltraBlue.

Link to car:- viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6130 :mrgreen:

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

You posted earlier -. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6129&p=62822#p62822 - that the vents were not working properly so presume dealer fixed it?

I would be reporting it to them if that is the case.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Paul J

Post by Paul J »

Hi SimpleR

No, vents all fixed, and are working fine. Vents dont come in contact with the trim, so I am baffled as to why it has come loose.

Perhaps just a strong glue, to stick it back down, although i am conscious that I dont want to put too much on as it to squeeze out onto the leather on the right hand side of the trim. The left hand side of the trim is fine and stick solid

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Hi Paul.
What simpleR was alluding to is that the trim piece needs to be removed to access the fixings for the rising centre vent - so whoever fixed the vent has likely broken a clip on the trim piece.
It’s easy to lever the trim off with a cheap set of Halfords trim removal tools, but the garage will then claim you broke it so yes, best course of action is to return to the garage if it was relatively local - and I’d ask to watch them sort it - easily done in the car park if their insurance doesn’t allow you into the workshop.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Thanks Lunar, a much better explanation of what I was getting at.
Paul J

Post by Paul J »

thanks all !

Paul J

Post by Paul J »

OK - so just went out to the Jag, and the trim has returned to its original position (see photo)!!

How can this be, I didn't touch it!

Could it be flexing due to temperature fluctuation in the car?

I am absolutely perplexed

ghost.jpeg

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

I would guess the vents are fouling the front cover which is lifting it up and it caught it on the way down last time. If it's clipped back in then fingers crossed it stays there now.
Paul J

Post by Paul J »

Thanks - apart from that, the car is running like a dream! 4 months in and it has been faultless!

RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Paul J wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:39 pm vents all fixed, and are working fine. Vents dont come in contact with the trim, so I am baffled as to why it has come loose.
Paul J wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:09 am OK - so just went out to the Jag, and the trim has returned to its original position (see photo)!!

How can this be, I didn't touch it!

Could it be flexing due to temperature fluctuation in the car?

I am absolutely perplexed

You’ve said that the vents don’t come into contact with the trim so it’s likely to be due to temp changes in the cabin.

As previously mentioned, if the dealer etc recently fixed the centre vent operation on your car they may have damaged the trim in the process so take it back to ask them to sort it out?

Alternatively, it’s easy enough to remove the trim to see what the problem is. I use this good quality Hilka trim removal set from Screwfix viewtopic.php?p=52400#p52400

To give you an idea of what the trim clips into to secure it in place, see the pics in this link viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5183 (I’ve attached one of them).

5.JPG

2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views