Difficult Choice of V8's

Anything F-Type related......
Purplecat

Post by Purplecat »

Yikes!
2019 F-Type 5.0 V8 R AWD Coupe Silicon Silver

mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

As with any make of car, there's always a few duffers that just move around the trade from place to place. It's usually obvious why this might be when looking at the owner history etc. Good cars with desirable options probably sell fairly quick, if they're at the right price.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
CJSJAG

Post by CJSJAG »

I would still go with the new(er) P450 to get the warranty.
You will not even notice the difference compared to the R unless you want to track it, or are a total maniac and risk losing your license on a regular basis.
The more I read on the F-Type forums, the convinced I am not to own one of these cars out of warranty.
Presumably the P450 comes with factory warranty and, if used, you would likely be able to the CPO from a dealer, then buy the extended warranty.
You will forget any minor "wants" missing from the car, the first time it has a need for repair.
2021 R-Dynamic P380 Convertible BRG
P450Phil

Post by P450Phil »

Purplecat wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:32 pm Hi, Just joined and looking for some opinions, thinking of buying an F-Type V8 probably in the next 6 months so no rush, my budget (based on current Autotrader prices) seems to run to getting either a 2018/19 5.0 V8 R AWD or a 2020/21 P450 AWD - so which do I go for?
Yes I know I should drive them both myself but not quite ready to buy yet, so thought I would see if anybody has driven both and get their opinion. P450 newer car possibly lower mileage, like the idea of the digital dash etc - but 100bhp less has got to hurt hasn't it?

Rob
Chipping in my thoughts here Purplecat because this is basically the choice I had this time last year before buying my P450. I was saving up for so long for the original F-type that the new model came out before I got there :D

I would say it really depends on what you want to use it for. If it's just for occasional blasts / track days then save money with the old model, or what the hell, look for an SVR which has been looked after - but they attract a very high premium.

For practicality and all-round use, the 450 was a must for me. The new tech goes a fair bit beyond the digital dash and infotainment system: Whether you prefer the look of the new headlights is a matter of choice of course... but when you need them at night on unlit B roads, they are something else. And for the long boring motorway runs; the Waze Carplay, music control, phone connection etc. etc. etc. is all so much easier to use, it makes for a nicer cabin to be in for 6 hours.

On your bhp question, I can say that there is no situation on the road when you will feel like more is required. And, if you read around, maybe the 450 isn't as detuned as advertised... In overtaking, the challenge is getting all the torque down on British roads, not the bhp. You've specified AWD for both of your options, which you may need depending on where you live. But bear in mind, the 450 is available in RWD. The AWD will be quicker off the line of course, and for sure the choice if you need to get about in snow / ice. But the RWD handles greasy and wet roads very well, even an accidental snap-out is soon brought back, including when the traction is "switched off". It can cope with Bowland Forest on a very spirited drive, so a friend tells me ;) It's also a bit lighter on the front end, so I decided the AWD wasn't worth the extra £, especially because the RWD in good summer conditions is just that little bit more fun.

The budget you are looking at, plus maybe 10%; consider having a look for a pre-reg or nearly new from a (main) dealer with full warranty terms. Sports seats and Pano roof are a must. And 20" wheels, but that can be sorted later.

Good luck with getting the keys to you get your F-Type soon!
P450 RWD First Edition Santorini Black MY21
Purplecat

Post by Purplecat »

Thanks Phil, very interesting - think I will wait a bit so that I can increase my budget. But of course that doesn't stop me looking - and then who knows!

Regarding AWD I'm in the Pennines and although we dont often get a lot of snow, occasionally it can be an issue and AWD gives much more confidence. Ive had a few scary moments in the past with RWD cars - my old XKR and before that a Toyota Supra twin Turbo (maybe I should go on a driving course!). Winter tyres make a big difference of course but changing tyres wheels each year is an added expense etc. Having said that it wouldn't be my only car so dont intend to use it in bad conditions, but of course can always get caught out with the weather.
2019 F-Type 5.0 V8 R AWD Coupe Silicon Silver
Volley

Post by Volley »

I have just changed from a 2016 380s to a 2021 p450 first edition and would highly recommend going for the newer facelift model with all its tech upgrades and more compliant suspension on our pockmarked roads.
If you take the benchmark 0-60mph figures for the 550 and 450 bhp V8 engines there is 0.3 seconds difference - a professional racing driver would probably not be able to notice such a small difference. There is probably a more noticeable difference, due to the additional torque, at greater speeds but would you really be able to exploit it on the road...without losing your licence? :-)
MY21 First Edition R-Dynamic P450
5l V8 RWD
Eiger Grey
Elementad

Post by Elementad »

For the unofficial record, I had a 450 loaned to me whilst my 550 R was being serviced. I DID notice a difference in performance, but then as someone said, the 450 sometimes run higher BHP and likewise the 550s have been reported to run nearer the high 500s (580-590). There is obviously going to be a difference with 100bhp.
I also had a 380 F Type S previously, which still felt fast enough. You don’t NEED 550 or 575bhp, buts it’s a nice to have 👍
F Type R AWD coupe
(Previous car) F Type V6S convertible
Volley

Post by Volley »

Elementad wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:43 pm For the unofficial record, I had a 450 loaned to me whilst my 550 R was being serviced. I DID notice a difference in performance, but then as someone said, the 450 sometimes run higher BHP and likewise the 550s have been reported to run nearer the high 500s (580-590). There is obviously going to be a difference with 100bhp.
I also had a 380 F Type S previously, which still felt fast enough. You don’t NEED 550 or 575bhp, buts it’s a nice to have 👍
Apologies Elementad I did not mean to offend 550R owners, Im sure the additional power and torque makes all the difference, the 60 to 100mph and other in gear acceleration statistics must be awesome! Did you notice how disappointingly quiet the 450 was on start up? apparently it is to do with the soft start software :roll:
Whichever V8 purplecat chooses he won't be disappointed.
MY21 First Edition R-Dynamic P450
5l V8 RWD
Eiger Grey
Elementad

Post by Elementad »

Volley wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:43 pm
Elementad wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:43 pm For the unofficial record, I had a 450 loaned to me whilst my 550 R was being serviced. I DID notice a difference in performance, but then as someone said, the 450 sometimes run higher BHP and likewise the 550s have been reported to run nearer the high 500s (580-590). There is obviously going to be a difference with 100bhp.
Apologies Elementad I did not mean to offend 550R owners, Im sure the additional power and torque makes all the difference, the 60 to 100mph and other in gear acceleration statistics must be awesome! Did you notice how disappointingly quiet the 450 was on start up? apparently it is to do with the soft start software :roll:
Whichever V8 purplecat chooses he won't be disappointed.
Haha, not at all.
In the interest of balance to even out all the 450 owner posts I thought it would be beneficial to give opinion from the ‘R’ owners POV for OP to form his own opinion.

As I said, I think the v6 380S is a special car and has more than enough power.
F Type R AWD coupe
(Previous car) F Type V6S convertible
CJSJAG

Post by CJSJAG »

I think I have only managed to get my P380 over 100mph about 5x in the last 18 months.
Spec says 170mph - not likely on Massachusetts roads!!
2021 R-Dynamic P380 Convertible BRG