Difficult Choice of V8's

Anything F-Type related......
Purplecat

Post by Purplecat »

Hi, Just joined and looking for some opinions, thinking of buying an F-Type V8 probably in the next 6 months so no rush, my budget (based on current Autotrader prices) seems to run to getting either a 2018/19 5.0 V8 R AWD or a 2020/21 P450 AWD - so which do I go for?
Yes I know I should drive them both myself but not quite ready to buy yet, so thought I would see if anybody has driven both and get their opinion. P450 newer car possibly lower mileage, like the idea of the digital dash etc - but 100bhp less has got to hurt hasn't it?

Rob
2019 F-Type 5.0 V8 R AWD Coupe Silicon Silver

scm

Post by scm »

The earlier (MY18) one will have more noise out the back, which may be important to you. I doubt you'd really notice the lack of 100 horses - 450 is plenty, but ....
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
CJSJAG

Post by CJSJAG »

No doubt in my mind!! Go for the one with the longest warranty - the P450
2021 R-Dynamic P380 Convertible BRG
CJSJAG

Post by CJSJAG »

Also incldes free service for 5 years and 60 months!!
2021 R-Dynamic P380 Convertible BRG
Cluck

Post by Cluck »

A lot of your decision making will probably come down to aesthetics, both on the outside and inside and which you prefer is a question that nobody can answer for you except yourself, so you really will need to see both models in the flesh to decide which is right. Regarding noise, the older models are apparently a lot more "in your face" than the GPF-equipped models (2019 or MY19 onwards?) and for some that is either a good thing or an annoyance. In terms of performance, it's worth considering the fact that the P450 can be tuned to a little over 600hp with a simple re-map - no extra gubbins required at all beyond the little box of tricks that writes the new code - so if you do opt for the P450 and hanker for more 'oomph' then that is an option.

Personally, I love my P450. Sure, the car isn't as lairy as the older models but I'm slightly grateful, if I'm honest, that it doesn't pop and bang all the time. It can still make an intoxicatingly beautiful, and evil, noise though when the time is right, as I discovered going through some tunnels on the road from Santander to Portugal last month.
MY21 F-Type P450 R Dynamic in Portofino Blue, Black Exterior Pack, Performance Seats, Suede headlining (with Blur as support act)
scm

Post by scm »

CJSJAG wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:14 pm Also incldes free service for 5 years and 60 months!!
You're assuming the OP is in the States - only 3 years and possibly no inclusive servicing in the UK.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Purplecat

Post by Purplecat »

Thanks for the replies, trouble is I suffer from some kind of car search syndrome – I started off last year looking at later XKR’s (I have owned a 4.2 X100 XKR many years ago and loved it but sold it when I needed some extra funds for property development). Then realised for not much more I could get a 2014 V8 F-Type, actually went to view one only 22K miles but had too many stone chips for my liking. Next decided I wanted an AWD car so 2015 onwards, oh but I want the newer seats 2017, upgraded media centre would be nice, so I’m now up to 2018 and so it goes on. By the time I’m finished and added all the extras I want there will probably only be one car left in the country on some remote island!
Will have a think and test drive some before I raid my pension pot!

and yes I’m in the UK, North Manchester.
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Have you considered an SVR? A 2017/18 one might be in budget.
Purplecat

Post by Purplecat »

Yes would be nice but decent low mileage ones seem to be just out of my budget - there are a couple on Autotrader at the moment that are but both have relatively high mileages.

Tempted to wait a bit, but its difficult to know which way prices are going to go, seem to have dropped after the previous jump in prices - using Totalcarcheck (for free just key in reg and scroll down) it lists all previous found adverts. One car Ive been looking at was for sale in February this year at a dealer for £59995, now asking £52995 (V8 R AWD 2018 22K miles). Another car currently for sale at a main dealer 2018 only done 7500 miles - has been for sale with 7 previous prices - price went down then up then down again!
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Purplecat wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:26 pm Yes would be nice but decent low mileage ones seem to be just out of my budget - there are a couple on Autotrader at the moment that are but both have relatively high mileages.
The cheapest one is a horror story. 30k between services and a melted piston, followed by a new engine. Then crashed and the side repaired are just the highlights.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR